Pat Robertson, "Christian"

No. You're some flavor of mouthbreather. But not a stalker. Stalkers generally have to show some intelligence in getting to and following their prey. 

Actually, you don't get to make the rules. This thread is about Republican lunacy- about a guy who gets 1 million viewers a week, mostly Republican. Bringing up Dem loons is your version of screaming "Haliburton." Funny how you so excellently demonstrate your own hypocrisy, iddn't it?

416628[/snapback]

I had no idea luncay came in such distinct flavors to begin with. I thought it was just "luncay".

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The central point of this thread was quite simply that Pat Robertson was wrong to call for the assassination of this guy.  You would think that wasn't a very controversial point yet the responses are of the "Oh yeah but...." variety.

416369[/snapback]

Which sounds a lot like when "moderate" Muslims are quoted as saying, "The 9/11 attacks on the U.S. were a tragedy, BUT...." that the far-righties here rightly regularly cite when it happens.

Now comes the time when those same people here argue for and about something equally stupid.

Robertson is an idiot and his followers are too. That's it; that's all that needs to be said; end of topic; end of thread.

I guess this is the difference here.  I believe that culture is not a static phenomenon but something that grows and changes, and I think there is room in this world for an Islamic culture that eschews violence and becomes a part of the global dialogue.  Using the binary opposition of "us and them" is precisely what empowers terrorists to get mainstream Muslims to believe that we are indeed against all Muslims.  And that hurts us further.

Eradicating the culture is an easy solution to the problem that I am afraid our country has pursued far too often.

416471[/snapback]

Good luck with that.

Which sounds a lot like when "moderate" Muslims are quoted as saying, "The 9/11 attacks on the U.S. were a tragedy, BUT...." that the far-righties here rightly regularly cite when it happens.

Now comes the time when those same people here argue for and about something equally stupid.

Robertson is an idiot and his followers are too. That's it; that's all that needs to be said; end of topic; end of thread.

416647[/snapback]

Okay, we solved that one, Robertson is an idiot. Now we can move on to something more difficult. Motherhood, good or bad? Comments? :rolleyes:

You don't have a culture war, if that's what this is, by giving up the defining aspects of your own culture (like freedom and innocence until proven guilty).

416516[/snapback]

Freedom? Innocence until guilt is proven? Since when have we not allowed those rights? And what in the nine hells does this have to do with the issue of assassination of unfriendly leaders?

I had no idea luncay came in such distinct flavors to begin with.  I thought it was just "luncay".

416646[/snapback]

Did someone edit my post to correct my spelling, or am I missing something?

In any event, lunacy comes in different flavors. Evangelical Ashcroft lunacy=scary flavor. LaRouche lunacy=silly flavor.

That it has, albeit a foolish one.

In certain cases, assassination would be preferable to the other options. Imagine if we'd been able to bump off Hitler before WWII started. Imagine if we could have just offed Hussein rather than invading Iraq.

There's no room for principles in global power politics.

416440[/snapback]

Yeah, Hitler is kind of an easy one though. Guys like that don't really come along that often, at least not ones with an entire, very powerful, nation at his fingertips.

Lets say that instead of being chancellor of Germany, Hitler was, say, Chancellor of Goofistan, an island nation of 200 inhabitants off the coast of Nowhereania? Tougher choice. Translation: not every prick is worth a bullet.

Freedom? Innocence until guilt is proven? Since when have we not allowed those rights? And what in the nine hells does this have to do with the issue of assassination of unfriendly leaders?

416665[/snapback]

You brought up the culture war Mohambi, not me. As far as innocent until proven guilty, your motto is that we should all be suspicious of Arab-looking (whatever that means) people.

Are you basing that on anything other than your personal dislike of the man, Minnie? Can you point to a report by an unbiased source that suggests that any of his election victories were fixed? It's pretty indisputable that Chavez has substantial support among the poor in Venezuala (of which there are a great many). He doesn't need to fix elections.

416055[/snapback]

Here's a link, Polyanna.

Article 1

You must be nuts to think any South American election outside of say Brazil, Argentina or Chile is honest and fair.

You brought up the culture war Mohambi, not me. As far as innocent until proven guilty, your motto is that we should all be suspicious of Arab-looking (whatever that means) people.

416672[/snapback]

With good reason. There's suspicion and then there's assumption of guilt. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to keep an eye on inhabitants of middle eastern countries and countries from the Muslim world who've taken up residence here. Nor do I think it's necessarily incompatible with the values of our Republic.

Here's a link, Polyanna.

Article 1

You must be nuts to think any South American election outside of say Brazil, Argentina or Chile is honest and fair.

416698[/snapback]

I'm not sure that an article by a Venezuelan opposition supporter is exactly unbiased. Would you accept at face-value accusations of vote-rigging by Bush coming from Gore or Kerry supporters? In fact, much of that article sounds remarkably similar to the allegations over the Florida result.

"Chavez now brags that the referendum results are irreversible and permanent and pledges that Venezuela's communist revolution, which is bankrupting his nation and reducing its citizenry to poverty, will now intensify. "

Yep, that certainly seems like a really objective opinion to me. Reducing the citizenry to poverty?! Yeah, there was no poverty in Venezuela before Chavez :rolleyes:

416647[/snapback]

While we are at it, may I add that Howard Dean is a scum-sucking, appeasment-minded kitty and everyone who is a Democrat is, too? Hey, one retarded blanket statment deserves another.

CNN Thingy

This guy needs a new PR person.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time," Robertson said on "The 700 Club" program.

His original quote:

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it,"

Nice try, Pat.

Pat Robertson must be a friggin genius. He was completely off the national radar right up until he suggested we kill the prick leader of Venezuela.

I don't think I've ever cared about a "news story" less in my entire life. This crap makes me nostalgic for the reports about the missing girl in Aruba. At least that story might have something to do with my life someday if they ever find her alive, bring her back, and I meet her someday and we start dating. Pat Friggin' Robertson could do almost anything and still have zero effect on my life.

CNN Thingy

This guy needs a new PR person.

His original quote:

Nice try, Pat.

416942[/snapback]

Well, to the unschooled and uninitiated, it might seem like Robertson made contradictory statements or that he flat out lied. However, if you were learned in subtleties of Intelliget Lying theory, you would see how perfectly sound his statements were.

Pat Friggin' Robertson could do almost anything and still have zero effect on my life.

417078[/snapback]

Pat Robertson probably has already affected your life.

http://www.cc.org/

Founder of the christian coalition it is the most well organized christian

lobby in america. Their organization and donor lists are top notch, and

were given to Ralph Reed. I say this with some grudging respect, this is not

too far off the mainstream. They are kingmakers.

Here's a link, Polyanna.

Article 1

416698[/snapback]

Here's a link to a press release from the Organisation of American States which had observers monitoring the recall referendum:

oas link

The mention of Jimmah Carter in the press release you cited tells me all I need to know.

417254[/snapback]

I see. So "Jimmah" Carter is such a demonic figure that not only him and his organisation must be disbelieved but even anyone that dares to mention him must likewise be disbelieved. Fair enough.

I see. So "Jimmah" Carter is such a demonic figure that not only him and his organisation must be disbelieved but even anyone that dares to mention him must likewise be disbelieved. Fair enough.

417269[/snapback]

Well you know when your head spends so much time stuck up your butt, it tends to give you tunnel vision. And when I say "you", Chicot, I'm not referring to you personally, just the general "you" as in anyone who's narrow minded and bigoted enough to never read beyond the label...and make sweeping judgements based thereupon.

:lol:

He sees no problems in corrupt elections in other governments, but makes statements that the 2004 election had lots of problems. He should stick to building homes.

417290[/snapback]

I know full well the problems some have with Carter, which is why I linked to the other organisation monitoring the Venezuelan elections. It seems to me that those who are crying foul over the results have little more to go on than unsubstantiated complaints by opposition supporters, the same sort of complaints that they rubbished when they were heard in Florida. Personally I prefer to listen to what the independent observers who were there monitoring the process have to say, rather than to those with such an obvious axe to grind.

I think a more likely answer to the question of why Chavez continues to win elections is to be found in accounts like these:

Terrible goings-on in Venezuela

The thing is when you provide things like education, healthcare, the prospect of a better life to people who previously had nothing, they tend to appreciate that and support you for it. Strange but true.

I don't think I've ever cared about a "news story" less in my entire life.  This crap makes me nostalgic for the reports about the missing girl in Aruba.  At least that story might have something to do with my life someday if they ever find her alive, bring her back, and I meet her someday and we start dating.  Pat Friggin' Robertson could do almost anything and still have zero effect on my life.

417078[/snapback]

;):P:lol:

Man, that was funny !! Made my morning.

Mickey,

Go chase an ambulance.

417174[/snapback]

Clever, who thought of that one for you?

Really, if trading personal insults is where you want to go, certainly you can do better than that? Why not call for my assassination in the middle of a prayer service?

Clever, who thought of that one for you?

Really, if trading personal insults is where you want to go, certainly you can do better than that?  Why not call for my assassination in the middle of a prayer service?

417693[/snapback]

Won't that kind of false piety confuse the targeting system when you bomb Pat Robertson's compound?

Never liked that false piety targeting for just that reason. Not discriminating enough...

I know full well the problems some have with Carter, which is why I linked to the other organisation monitoring the Venezuelan elections. It seems to me that those who are crying foul over the results have little more to go on than unsubstantiated complaints by opposition supporters, the same sort of complaints that they rubbished when they were heard in Florida. Personally I prefer to listen to what the independent observers who were there monitoring the process have to say, rather than to those with such an obvious axe to grind.

I think a more likely answer to the question of why Chavez continues to win elections is to be found in accounts like these:

Terrible goings-on in Venezuela

The thing is when you provide things like education, healthcare, the prospect of a better life to people who previously had nothing, they tend to appreciate that and support you for it. Strange but true.

417492[/snapback]

You mean they vote their pocketbooks, or more accurately on WIFM (what's in it for ME)?! No WAY. That would NEVER happen in America.

:lol:

Won't that kind of false piety confuse the targeting system when you bomb Pat Robertson's compound?

Never liked that false piety targeting for just that reason.  Not discriminating enough...

417706[/snapback]

I'll see if we can adjust for hippocracy and sarcasm too. BRB...