LAMP: I need help finding my father.

The_Real

So here is the deal. My father's name is Jose Morejon. He came over to the United States from Cuba in the early 60's. He moved to NYC and then went into the army right after highschool.

To make a long story short, he was murdered while on active duty in 1980 in North Carolina or so I have been lead to believe. I can not find any information what so ever on him and have not been able to in my 27 years of life.

I've contacted Fort Bragg, where he was killed, and they won't give me the time of day even though I have explained the situation to them. I've called the District Attorney's office in Fayetville, NC but with out the name of the person who did the crime they have not been able to help me.

-Ancestry.com: Nothing

Now I'm getting personal here so please, don't be a d!ck, this is all totally true. The story my mom has told me my whole life is that he was somehow involved with drugs. She also told me he was having an affair and that the women he was having the affair with was the one that killed him.

No one can tell me her name. No one will tell me the whole story. I'll be 27 this sunday. I was 2 when he was murdered. I just want to know the whole story and to read the court case. Really just about anything. I couldn't be more sincere so please if you think this is me being b.s, don't be insensitive. I've tried everything.

I just have no other alternatives anymore. I'd appreciate anything.

anything.

:rolleyes:

t-r

So here is the deal.  My father's name is Jose Morejon.  He came over to the United States from Cuba in the early 60's.  He moved to NYC and then went into the army right after highschool. 

To make a long story short, he was murdered while on active duty in 1980 in North Carolina or so I have been lead to believe.  I can not find any information what so ever on him and have not been able to in my 27 years of life. 

I've contacted Fort Bragg, where he was killed, and they won't give me the time of day even though I have explained the situation to them.  I've called the District Attorney's office in Fayetville, NC but with out the name of the person who did the crime they have not been able to help me. 

Now I'm getting personal here so please, don't be a d!ck, this is all totally true.  The story my mom has told me my whole life is that he was somehow involved with drugs.  She also told me he was having an affair and that the women he was having the affair with was the one that killed him. 

No one can tell me her name.  No one will tell me the whole story.  I'll be 27 this sunday.  I was 2 when he was murdered.  I just want to know the whole story and to read the court case.  Really just about anything.  I couldn't be more sincere so please if you think this is me being b.s, don't be insensitive.  I've tried everything. 

I just have no other alternatives anymore.  I'd appreciate anything. 

anything. 

:rolleyes:

t-r

414942[/snapback]

Try starting here. If you can get his military records, you might be able to track stuff down from there.

Another option might be Westlaw or Lexis-Nexis; if you're on good terms with an attorney who has access to NC case law, they might be able to find the criminal case, presuming there was one.

Other than that...I don't know, maybe call the NC state police and ask them what, if any, process there is for researching old homocide investigations...presuming the crime was committed off-base, otherwise it probably falls under military justice, and your best starting point is military records.

Try calling the local newspaper in NC.  If you're lucky someone will help you.  Maybe they have an online archive, but I doubt it given the dates.

414957[/snapback]

Bingo. Or a library down there that would have newspaper archives on microfilm.

Better yet, hook up with a local-to-the-area genealogical researcher. (Online genealogy resources like ancestry.com are only good if you already kinda know what you're looking for, like SSDI records. And with your father being a first-generation immigrant, doubtful he'd show up in very many databases.)

With a name and approximate date of death to work from, and the fact that it was a homicide, odds are there's an article somewhere. I still don't know if you'd end up with the *whole* story, but you never know....

Good luck with your search, and you have my condolences for never having had the chance to know your father.

all i have to say is, if this is truly "real" then you lead one hell of a life.  the mysterious diseases, the multitude of sex partners, now a murder mystery...i must be one boring sonofabitch.

414993[/snapback]

I have had a life full of ups and downs man. Most of the time, you can't control what you go through. I lost my step father when my house burned to the ground in 1990. That was in Clarence Center on Goodrich road. Anyone from the area might remember.

For every negative there is a positive.

Have you tried a private investigator? It might cost you some coin, but it also might save your sanity. And if you're looking to exact some revenge out of this, I say give up the ghost and move on with your life. You have enough information (name, when he died, how he died, his character, etc.) to have a good idea about who he was.

I'd say the best place to start would be the newspapers, or try the county courthouse where he was stationed or lived. They would have records of his place of residence and for how long. they may also have a death certificate.

Take it from me; stop spending your time trying to figure out what happened to your father because you're going to wake up one day as a father and wonder what the !@#$ happened to you.

415061[/snapback]

I'm still cleaning off the computer screen.

Thanks man, that was really cool.

:huh:

Sorry the last post scewed up,like I said I got out in 1980 and if someone was in that situation their would be an invesgation into his death . It might be posible for his wife to get those records.Also all service men at that time had insurance for 25,000,find out if that payment was made. All people who are discharged recieve a form called DD214 it has all their information on it. I had lost mine and tried to get another copy of it .I called veterans affairs and they said it could take weeks or months to get it. He gave me some advice on how to get it .He said if you didn't pick up the one sent to the county you were discharged it might still be their .I called and sure enough after 25 years it was their.

I got mine in Niagara counrty no ID was needed to get it. The reason i say this is if someone was not being truthful about dates or got the dates mixed up this would give you some info on his military career.

all i have to say is, if this is truly "real" then you lead one hell of a life.  the mysterious diseases, the multitude of sex partners, now a murder mystery...i must be one boring sonofabitch.

414993[/snapback]

Don't forget he just quit smoking, gave up drinking and no more wacky tobaccy!

First things first T_R. Is your mom still alive? Is she aware of how much it means to you to find out information about your father? If there is a chance that she isn't telling you the truth then you need to sit down with her and make her understand that you are spending time and money to find out answers. It could be that she's trying to protect you from the real truth. Remind her that you are an adult and deserve to know all she can tell you about your father. This might save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run. If she swears by her story then you have plenty to go on from previous posts.

In the town that he was killed

Take an ad in the paper for a person to research it

or the local historian

Library workers can do the newspaper searches. If you offer a reward for information it will get the ball rolling and you would be surprised the hours a regular person will but in for $50 to $100. Some of our retired people love the challenge.

I watched the Waterboy. Bobby Bucher's mom told him a story like this.

Not to be flippant but....

Are you sure she has told you the truth? She may have been protecting you

from something she thought was worse at the time and after years it becomes hard to come clean.

I watched the Waterboy. Bobby Bucher's mom told him a story like this.

Not to be flippant but....

Are you sure she has told you the truth? She may have been protecting you

from something she thought was worse at the time and after years it becomes hard to come clean.

415149[/snapback]

That is exactly what I'm afraid of Rueben. Yet, I'm going to be 27 and I think I can handle it. I want to know the truth and that's why I've intensified my search.

t-r

Good ole Fort Bragg... I miss the good times i had there.

I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to the UNC law library. http://library.law.unc.edu/

The local newspaper in Fayetteville is called the Fayetteville Observer

If your dad was in the military, you might want to post a message up on paratrooper.net A lot of old timers hang out there and might be able to help you out. You also might want to contact the 82nd association.

have NJSue do a Google search!!!! Seriously, good luck but like LA said, worry about today!

So here is the deal.  My father's name is Jose Morejon.  He came over to the United States from Cuba in the early 60's.  He moved to NYC and then went into the army right after highschool. 

To make a long story short, he was murdered while on active duty in 1980 in North Carolina or so I have been lead to believe.  I can not find any information what so ever on him and have not been able to in my 27 years of life. 

I've contacted Fort Bragg, where he was killed, and they won't give me the time of day even though I have explained the situation to them.  I've called the District Attorney's office in Fayetville, NC but with out the name of the person who did the crime they have not been able to help me. 

Now I'm getting personal here so please, don't be a d!ck, this is all totally true.  The story my mom has told me my whole life is that he was somehow involved with drugs.  She also told me he was having an affair and that the women he was having the affair with was the one that killed him. 

No one can tell me her name.  No one will tell me the whole story.  I'll be 27 this sunday.  I was 2 when he was murdered.  I just want to know the whole story and to read the court case.  Really just about anything.   I couldn't be more sincere so please if you think this is me being b.s, don't be insensitive.  I've tried everything. 

I just have no other alternatives anymore.  I'd appreciate anything. 

anything. 

:huh:

t-r

414942[/snapback]

Like Clem said in Joe Dirt, "The past is passed, the future is now."!!!

Seriously, my spemr donor walked out on my mom and I when I was one. And I never looked back.

But whatever makes you able to move forward. If you find out that your mother is bending the truth to protect you from this guy (which my mom never did, thankfully) then it's more than likely for good reason. And if that's the case, remember that Furious was "deep" in Boyz N Da Hood when he said "Any fool with a dikc can make a baby but a real man takes care of his kids."

Good luck with whatever the case may be.

Gotta understand the past...

415176[/snapback]

Gotta know when to let go of it, too. Every moment you spend analyzing the past is a moment you now have missed in the present.

It's the difference between being a proactive person and a reactive person. And in case you can't tell the difference, think about the boss you used to have who ran around fixing problems versus the boss you had who ran around creating opportunity.

Are you living most of your life on your own terms or are you sacrificing your own life to figure out how someone else lived theirs? Believe me, if the old man was worth his salt as a person, his son wouldn't be trying to figure out what the hell happened to him.

Life isn't an episode of CSI.

I want to know the truth

t-r

415158[/snapback]

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH------------------ just kidding hope you find your dad alive living with 10 twenty year olds . :lol:--- do you know he is dead for sure?

I did get a response from the newspaper but I think it was auto generated. I also wrote to VA as suggested and again tried to contact the District Attorney's office. The problem is I don't know the person's name that committed the act against him. The case has been searched twice and I am yet to find anything. I've printed/sent the form for the VA but they expect a time table of 4-6 weeks before I'll hear anything.

Is there a database of all criminal cases in the united states? Even if it's not online I'd take the time to write for it.

Anything?

t-r

He is buried in Miami Florida and I have visited him numerous times. I know that he died in October of 1980 and was in the military. He grew up in NYC on the upper West side. The death certificate said that it was a homicide and that he was shot.

That is seriously all I know about my father for sure.

He is buried in Miami Florida and I have visited him numerous times.  I know that he died in October of 1980 and was in the military.  He grew up in NYC on the upper West side.  The death certificate said that it was a homicide and that he was shot.

That is seriously all I know about my father for sure.

417279[/snapback]

If this is for real you can contact the military records as a surviving family member and request any military/medical records. It is fairly quick and can for the most part be requested online. They will need a copy of your signature and probably birth certificate.