What the news doesn't tell you......

An e-mail I got today. I looked on snopes, but you never know. Still pretty interesting.

Did you know that 47 countries have reestablished their embassies in

Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million

Iraqi people? Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364

schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under

construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20

Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all

currently operating?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States = in

January 2005 for the reestablished Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5 100-foot

patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational

squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport

aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night,

and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando

Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully

trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce

over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in

Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83

railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69

electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have

received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary

school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq

and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75

radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a

televised debate recently?

OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW? OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag

burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at the

presidential motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It

is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States

thus minimizing consequent support, and it is intended to discourage

American citizens.

Above facts are verifiable on the Department of Defense web site. Pass

it on!

I think I saw that some time ago.

However, balance those things with what the IMF is saying

The Economist

The picture is mixed, although I know our troops are working very hard.

414280[/snapback]

Weird article. It paints a bleak picture, but the numbers it uses are ambiguous enough to paint whatever picture you'd like. To me, GDP growth slowing from an overheated and inflationary 50% to a more rational 3% and oil exports increasing more than expected looks like a positive, not the negative the article portrays it as.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, I guess... :D The article, though it made some very good points, would have been more honest if it had simply said "The situation's murky".

To me, GDP growth slowing from an overheated and inflationary 50% to a more rational 3% and oil exports increasing more than expected looks like a positive, not the negative the article portrays it as.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, I guess...  :D  The article, though it made some very good points, would have been more honest if it had simply said "The situation's murky".

414289[/snapback]

The 3% had me scratching my head. I can't honestly say that I know what it means in relation to 50%.

The grim part is that the banking sector is undercapitalized and barely functioning. It is hard to create an ownership society without. As much as the war, I think the economic strategy here will be long studied. By going with a day 1 type model the economy was radically restructured from its totalitarian/nationalized roots to encourage a private capital model. Very difficult if the banks aren't working to spur internal and foreign investment.

The 3% had me scratching my head. I can't honestly say that I know what it means in relation to 50%.

The grim part is that the banking sector is undercapitalized and barely functioning. It is hard to create an ownership society without. As much as the war, I think the economic strategy here will be long studied. By going with a day 1 type  model the economy was radically restructured from its totalitarian/nationalized roots to encourage a private capital model. Very difficult if the banks aren't working to spur internal and foreign investment.

414303[/snapback]

50% is SO high, I suspect it's less "real" growth and more due to the recovery of capital previously unavailable in less economically stable (yes, Iraq has been less economically stable than it is now) or totalitarian times. (For that matter, it could represent the absorption into the economy of the massive amounts of aid we've provided to rebuild the infrastructure.) 3% probably represents real growth, and while arguably low for a country in Iraq's situation probably isn't unhealthy anyway. But the idea that "anything not quite as good as we expected is bad, hence failure" bugs the hell out of me...3% growth for a country two years out of an invasion, occupied by a foreign power, and fighting an insurgent/terrorist campaign on its own soil is pretty !@#$ing good when you think about it.

I'd wager the banks are undercapitalized because of the inflationary pressure of 50% GDP growth. Tough to maintain a healthy reserve if your currency progressively devalues...unless they're holding Euros. Also tough to spur investment when gomers are running around blowing sh-- up...which, obviously, is precisely what they're striving for.

I'd wager the banks are undercapitalized because of the inflationary pressure of 50% GDP growth.  Tough to maintain a healthy reserve if your currency progressively devalues...unless they're holding Euros.  Also tough to spur investment when ...which, obviously, is precisely what they're striving for.

414319[/snapback]

Oil is the trump card. The quicker they get it pumping the faster things can improve. The other thing that suprised me is that there is actual tax revenue.

I have no idea where that is coming from, but it is a hopeful sign. The "gomers are running around blowing sh-- up" is a great deterent to venture capital.

I think the dinar is pegged to the US dollar- which is a sound strategy for the short term future.

I met a GI on a 4-day leave while in an Atlanta airport bar a couple of weeks ago.

He commented that our media spoonfeeds us. I inquired whether it was worse or better. He said it was much worse than what we're shown. He said they laugh at the coverage they see (he mentioned FOX and CNN). He did say the morale was fine, and, like they always have, they rely on each other. I bought him a beer and wished him well....

But Bush was caught falling down on his bike with Lance Armstrong, picking his nose, avoiding a second meeting with a depressed mom, all this while wearing a flightsuit.  Those are much more important facts.

414279[/snapback]

I have been on the coast for a week... Bush actually fell off his bike while riding with Lance Armstrong recently????

Didn't he just crash off his bike a year or so ago also?

Wow!!! I guess that is news!!! Maybe he should take a bike lesson?

Wear the mouthguard and take the "small bus" George. :blink::)

:rolleyes:0:)

I have been on the coast for a week... Bush actually fell off his bike while riding with Lance Armstrong recently????

Wow!!!  I guess that is news!!!  Maybe he should take a bike lesson?

Wear the mouthguard and take the "small bus" George.  :blink:  :)

:rolleyes:  0:)

414606[/snapback]

No he didn't fall down. They went on a 2 hour bike ride, and he kept his balance. My point was, I have seen him falling off his bike and the Segway, on the front of CNN, plus him chocking on a pretzel over the last few years.

The way the media reports, makes you think those are major events, yet things like what is actually happening on Russian, Chechnia negociations, or NK / SK negociations are barely discussed and rarely on the front page.

I met a GI on a 4-day leave while in an Atlanta airport bar a couple of weeks ago. 

He commented that our media spoonfeeds us.  I inquired whether it was worse or better.  He said it was much worse than what we're shown.  He said they laugh at the coverage they see (he mentioned FOX and CNN).  He did say the morale was fine, and, like they always have, they rely on each other.  I bought him a beer and wished him well....

414370[/snapback]

It's virtually always worse...and better. I know that's kind of ambiguous but it's true.

Wow!!!  I guess that is news!!!  Maybe he should take a bike lesson?

Wear the mouthguard and take the "small bus" George.  :blink:  :)

:rolleyes:  0:)

414606[/snapback]

Hey, if you don't fall off a moutain bike you're not doing it right. I see mountain bikers all the time accross from my house pretty much wearing body armor.

No he didn't fall down.  They went on a 2 hour bike ride, and he kept his balance.  My point was, I have seen him falling off his bike and the Segway, on the front of CNN, plus him chocking on a pretzel over the last few years. 

The way the media reports, makes you think those are major events, yet things like what is actually happening on Russian, Chechnia negociations, or NK / SK negociations are barely discussed and rarely on the front page.

414720[/snapback]

Actually the pretzel thing was a major event. He blacked out due to chocking and they said if he didn't hit the floor and dislodged it while passing out, he could have choked to death. Then ,the worst nightmare of all libs would have happened,-Cheney would have been President.

Actually the pretzel thing was a major event. He blacked out due to chocking and they said if he didn't hit the floor and dislodged it while passing out, he could have choked to death. Then ,the worst nightmare of all libs would have happened,-Cheney would have been President.

414852[/snapback]

Egads man, Cheney is not the President you say?