How does Peter's look at LT?

CJPearl2

I'd like to know as well.  I find it very interesting that the Bills want to see Peters in there protecting the franchise QB.  Perhaps Peters is progressing even faster than we'd hoped?

413225[/snapback]

One can only hope. Like you said, to have him in with the first string is interesting.

Peters has looked excellent so far on the 10-12 plays I've watched him. He's shown tremendous feet and agility and has been very effective against KGB in pass pro. He hasn't been as effective getting a push in the run game, but he looks positionally sound anyway.

To be honest, he's exceeded my expectations so far at OT. Keep your fingers crossed, he's developing pretty well so far...

Bennie Anderson is our LG - do you follow this team?

413299[/snapback]

Who are you talking to, me?  I was saying if Peters can handle LT, how about moving Gandy inside to LG.

413311[/snapback]

So that's Peters at LT, Gandy at LG, and Anderson at C?

I'll have to watch the tape to be sure as the wife and I went to Bill Gray's for dinner and I only got to watch in snatches their several TVs. i no Peters got hit for at least one offside call for lining up improperly which seems fairly consistent with him being an enchilada short of having a combination platter mentally,

He is simply a demon with great ST play where you simply wind him up and send him after the ball. April said he was virtually unblockable in practice which earned him a game role he translated into a TD.

However, from this penalty to him scoring in single digits on the Wonderlic mental test, to him failing to tell the the ref he was a TE with a tackles number last year, it still looks pretty questionable to trust him to protect JP's blindside this year and he will need another (his first full) season of LT training before we want to depend on him in this role.

Peters looked very good, I didn't see him lose a single guy that he engaged. He did turn in to seal off a corner on one play while the DE just went right up field and made a tackle in the backfield for a loss. I couldn't tell if he screwed up or someone else on that.

He played as much as he did because he's our backup left tackle.  If Gandy goes down, Peters goes in.

WHOA.

Don't think I've realized that until now.

Better get him ready, Mouse.

413669[/snapback]

They always have the option of moving Teague over to LT and sliding Duke Preston into the starting lineup. So far Preston has looked good. Tucker can play center as well.

I'll have to watch the tape to be sure as the wife and I went to Bill Gray's for dinner and I only got to watch in snatches their several TVs. i no Peters got hit for at least one offside call for lining up improperly which seems fairly consistent with him being an enchilada short of having a combination platter mentally,

He is simply a demon with great ST play where you simply wind him up and send him after the ball. April said he was virtually unblockable in practice which earned him a game role he translated into a TD.

However, from this penalty to him scoring in single digits on the Wonderlic mental test, to him failing to tell the the ref he was a TE with a tackles number last year, it still looks pretty questionable to trust him to protect JP's blindside this year and he will need another (his first full) season of LT training before we want to depend on him in this role.

413543[/snapback]

I think you're way, way off base. From the moment Peters went into the game, I decided to focus on watching him and him alone. He showed very good pass pro technique, IMO. He moved his feet well in mirror and slide and kept whichever DE was in front of him (including KGB) sealed to the outside. He was at his best against speed rushes and looked like he needed more work taking on the bull rush.

Is he spot starter materal yet. No. He didn't appear physical enough and was sealing more than driving defenders on most running plays. He looks like he needs to get stronger, but that might compromise his agility. But for two games in, he's way ahead of where I thought he'd be.

As to the tone of your post (one enchilada, indeed :angry: ), "Lighten up Alice." Maybe its fun to poke at his Wonderlic, but there've been a lot of other talented players around who've made the same errors you pointed out. Funny how their IQ's weren't called into question, though.

Bottom line: Peters outplayed a lot of backup guys who spent their whole college careers playing O-line. In fact, Bennie Anderson looked a lot shakier than Peters, IMO. Peters is looking more interesting all the time.

Bottom line:  Peters outplayed a lot of backup guys who spent their whole college careers playing O-line.  In fact, Bennie Anderson looked a lot shakier than Peters, IMO.  Peters is looking more interesting all the time.

Good point. For a guy who has all of 1 full year (if even that since the position switch might not have occurred prior to the start of last season) of playing the position, at the PRO LEVEL no less, he's looking like a very promising prospect.

I think you're way, way off base.  From the moment Peters went into the game, I decided to focus on watching him and him alone.  He showed very good pass pro technique, IMO.  He moved his feet well in mirror and slide and kept whichever DE was in front of him (including KGB) sealed to the outside.  He was at his best against speed rushes and looked like he needed more work taking on the bull rush.

Is he spot starter materal yet.  No.  He didn't appear physical enough and was sealing more than driving defenders on most running plays.  He looks like he needs to get stronger, but that might compromise his agility.  But for two games in, he's way ahead of where I thought he'd be.

As to the tone of your post (one enchilada, indeed  :angry: ), "Lighten up Alice."  Maybe its fun to poke at his Wonderlic, but there've been a lot of other talented players around who've made the same errors you pointed out.  Funny how their IQ's ween't called into question, though.

Bottom line:  Peters outplayed a lot of backup guys who spent their whole college careers playing O-line.  In fact, Bennie Anderson looked a lot shakier than Peters, IMO.  Peters is looking more interesting all the time.

413830[/snapback]

Bennie Anderson collected his third penalty in two games last night, which is what he was known for, and loathed for, in Baltimore.  That sh*t is not going to fly here,  he's been under the radar as people focus on Losman, Gandy and Josh Reed, but when you start putting the team in 1st and 15 or 20 situations in the regular season, you will get noticed.  It's also worth noting, that for all his largess,  the Bills have not opened holes or got much push in the inside running game against two mediocre run defenses.

I think you're way, way off base.  From the moment Peters went into the game, I decided to focus on watching him and him alone.  He showed very good pass pro technique, IMO.  He moved his feet well in mirror and slide and kept whichever DE was in front of him (including KGB) sealed to the outside.  He was at his best against speed rushes and looked like he needed more work taking on the bull rush.

Is he spot starter materal yet.  No.  He didn't appear physical enough and was sealing more than driving defenders on most running plays.  He looks like he needs to get stronger, but that might compromise his agility.  But for two games in, he's way ahead of where I thought he'd be.

As to the tone of your post (one enchilada, indeed  :angry: ), "Lighten up Alice."  Maybe its fun to poke at his Wonderlic, but there've been a lot of other talented players around who've made the same errors you pointed out.  Funny how their IQ's ween't called into question, though.

413830[/snapback]

I'm not sure why my assessment is way off base since like MadBuff just below your post I think he is a very prosing prospect at LT.

I'm not as charitable as him in my defining time as he is as his switch to LT when he was activated off the PS last year since someone was about to snatch him from us gives him much less than a full season at LT (in fact even when he came up last year a good chunk into the season he was actually forced to play mostly at TE due to out injuries to Campbell and Euhus (this was where he made the mental mistake of not telling the ref he was a TE though he had a tackles number) and then made a name for himself and a big contribution to the team by proving to be virtually unblockable as an inside rusher on the punt coverage team.

Though Peters is a good prospect, I suspect we will be in big trouble if this nascent LT player is entrusted with guarding JP's blindside this season.

I am pleased folks are seeing some good things in his play, but having an outsiders observation that he has good foot movement against the lacking depth Packers scrubs and being ready to play a critical role in the Bills OL and protect our big investment in JP are two different things.

As far as the Wonderlic and how he did on the test, my sense is that a test is simply a test. Its actually a dumb way to use it alone to choose whether someone is ready for law or medical school and its a dumb way to use it alone to determine if someone is going to be a good football player.

I'm actually more concerned about him failing to report to the ref last year (even though rather than a sign of intellectual dificiency it could have happened because he was simply jazzed or geeked out by being in a real NFL game) and by him lining up poorly in last night's game than I am about his single digit Wonderlic score. If Peters gets in at LT guarding JPs blindside I hope he has enough understanding of the game to know when a stud LDE from Miami has him beat so that he yells lookout loudly enough for JP to run for his life like he is back at Tulane.

I know and believe that Peters is a phenomenal athlete. We have a huge need at LT so i can see the temptation if JMac believes in him to try to teach him the lT game.

However, this decision succeeds like a great pass defense in stopping this phenomenal athlete from catching any passes/ Who knows how bad the injury to Euhus's shoulder is because with the injurt o Everett as well perhaps we will see Peters using his great speed, size and soft hands at TE again sooner than we expect.

I think he is a promising prospect but I like you do not see him as a starting LT at all right now and perhaps it is way off base to be pleasantly surprised if he is ready to guard JPs blindside this year, but maybe you feel like it is a stone lock certainty he will be. I'm not sure where I'm way off base in this judgment.

I went to Bill Gray's for dinner and I only got to watch in snatches

I'm not sure I want to eat and look in snatches at the same time at a restaurant, but hey. . . To each his own.

EDIT: Sorry, I see I was beaten to the punch above.

I'm not sure why my assessment is way off base since like MadBuff just below your post I think he is a very prosing prospect at LT.

I'm not as charitable as him in my defining time as he is as his switch to LT when he was activated off the PS last year since someone was about to snatch him from us gives him much less than a full season at LT (in fact even when he came up last year a good chunk into the season he was actually forced to play mostly at TE due to out injuries to Campbell and Euhus (this was where he made the mental mistake of not telling the ref he was a TE though he had a tackles number) and then made a name for himself and a big contribution to the team by proving to be virtually unblockable as an inside rusher on the punt coverage team.

Though Peters is a good prospect, I suspect we will be in big trouble if this nascent LT player is entrusted with guarding JP's blindside this season.

I am pleased folks are seeing some good things in his play, but having an outsiders observation that he has good foot movement against the lacking depth Packers scrubs and being ready to play a critical role in the Bills OL and protect our big investment in JP are two different things.

As far as the Wonderlic and how he did on the test, my sense is that a test is simply a test. Its actually a dumb way to use it alone to choose whether someone is ready for law or medical school and its a dumb way to use it alone to determine if someone is going to be a good football player.

I'm actually more concerned about him failing to report to the ref last year (even though rather than a sign of intellectual dificiency it could have happened because he was simply jazzed or geeked out by being in a real NFL game) and by him lining up poorly in last night's game than I am about his single digit Wonderlic score.  If Peters gets in at LT guarding JPs blindside I hope he has enough understanding of the game to know when a stud LDE from Miami has him beat so that he yells lookout loudly enough for JP to run for his life like he is back at Tulane.

I know and believe that Peters is a phenomenal athlete. We have a huge need at LT so i can see the temptation if JMac believes in him to try to teach him the lT game.

However, this decision succeeds like a great pass defense in stopping this phenomenal athlete from catching any passes/ Who knows how bad the injury to Euhus's shoulder is because with the injurt o Everett as well perhaps we will see Peters using his great speed, size and soft hands at TE again sooner than we expect.

I think he is a promising prospect but I like you do not see him as a starting LT at all right now and perhaps it is way off base to be pleasantly surprised if he is ready to guard JPs blindside this year, but maybe you feel like it is a stone lock certainty he will be. I'm not sure where I'm way off base in this judgment.

413922[/snapback]

Peters will be our LT- maybe this year, but more likely next.

give up your crusade to have him play TE.

You harp on his IQ, which is probably a factor why he is not playing TE. he can't comnprehend the complexities of the position.

He does have the physical tools to match up man-on-man with elite pass rushers.

Peters will be our LT- maybe this year, but more likely next.

give up your crusade to have him play TE.

You harp on his IQ, which is probably a factor why he is not playing TE. he can't comnprehend the complexities of the position.

He does have the physical tools to match up man-on-man with elite pass rushers.

413965[/snapback]

I wonder if Marv Levy can share the old Butch Rolle play so they can use this kid on the goal-line

Yeah, why not line him up at TE in goalline or even redzone situations.

414137[/snapback]

I think I did see Peters line up at TE on the goal-line in this game (although it could be that he was OT on that play). And I would expect MM and TC to use Peters as the extra OT/TE in short yardage and goal-line situations like he did last year in the last 4-5 games.

413830[/snapback]

I pretty much agree. Run blocking is certainly easier to learn than is pass blocking, so there is reason to expect improvement.

Huge blunders by LTs can cost a football team to lose football games and quarterbacks. This is why I agree that the kid is not ready, but it would be unfair to expect him to be.

I just hope that he gets a lot more work. A guy with that size and speed will have a better chance than those less gifted, but he completely needs more experience before we can fairly rate him. Even if he is nothing more than a worthy backup this year, the thing is, the Bills got him for nothing!

Imo, the fact that we can even see the possibility of him being a good LT at any point is nothing less than spectacular news for the Bills; this spoken from a poster who will never be accused of being an eternal optimist. :huh: