Anyone worried about going to the game

I know I may sound stupid, and you can make fun of me, but I am a little nervous about the home opener. With it being the anniversary of the attacks, Im a little nervous about it. Considering how close we are to the border, the amount of people attending, and its a highly publicized event--Im nervous. Just wanted a little feedback about how others feel. Im going to the game regardless, if its my time, its my time.

I won't make fun of you. It's a valid concern for some. Personally, i believe two things. First, the country is safer from terrorists since 9/11, and second, if something WERE to happen, i'd be dead anyways so who cares. With that being said, i see almost zero chance of anything happening at nfl games on 9/11. Airspace is safe, security will be tigher for people entering the stadium, and quite frankly, its buffalo. If terrorists were going to do something, they'd do it in a huge city, like east rutherford or washington.

I won't make fun of you.  It's a valid concern for some.  Personally, i believe two things.  First, the country is safer from terrorists since 9/11, and second, if something WERE to happen, i'd be dead anyways so who cares.  With that being said, i see almost zero chance of anything happening at nfl games on 9/11.  Airspace is safe, security will be tigher for people entering the stadium, and quite frankly, its buffalo.  If terrorists were going to do something, they'd do it in a huge city, like east rutherford or washington.

412930[/snapback]

see I thought the same thing (small city), but wouldnt that make a major statement that no one is safe? Im not a pessimist at all, but its made me think.

see I thought the same thing (small city), but wouldnt that make a major statement that no one is safe?  Im not a pessimist at all, but its made me think.

412932[/snapback]

Yes, it would make a major statement, but what kind of terrorism are you thinking? A bomb in the parking lot? one planted in the stadium?? suicide bomber?? I just can't see a guy with a trench coat getting anywhere near the stadium... I could see someone with a car full of explosives or something, but nothing actually in the stadium. But as i said before, i don't expect anything to happen, but if it does, we'd all be dead anyways, so who cares. I live my life to its fullest, without the fear of terrorism. If they want to do soemthing, more power to them, but it won't stop me from going to the game to chear on the bills.

I think it merits extra security due to the factors you mentioned, but while the stakes certainly seem to make it appropriate for us to be somewhat neurotic about it, it seems to me that choosing not to participate or attend these events due to fear of the unknown goes into the psycotic and we do not want to do that.

Oneof my favorite quotes about democracy is that it is not a suicide pact. In general, the strong bias toward individual rights and suspicion of the government is a good thing which has served us well in terms of individuals being able to do what they want and our society lasting a long time.

However, those individual abilities (rights if you want to call them that) are always balanced and restricted by the society generally working with a view of my rights ending where yours begin and vice-versa and a specific sense spurred by the death and trauma of 9/11 that we are willing to give up some of our individual rights and abilities in exchange for greater security.

The bottomline is that we need to put up with an articulated greater level of security on this anniversary because it is prudent, but also because it is a good thing to remember those who sacrificed on 9/11 anyway so tangible reminders while we have fun with football are a good thing.

As far as the specifics of threats that day. One different thing about the al Quaeda mind I notice is that they seem to have a different perspective on the import of anniversaries than we have from what I can tell. I don't think they're mindset or target selection has the same neurotic almost psychotic interest in anniversaries that we have so I am not sure that 9/11 in iteself poses a substantially higher risk because they want to "celebrate" the anniersary.

The western mind and way of thinking has so infected the world that perhaps they have picked up this trait so there is a substanitally higher risk on 9/11. However, it would seem to be a good organizing and accomplishment strategy to aim for a second date and make 2 dates of 9/aa import on the road to creating 365 dates of import.

The bottomline is be careful but not psychotic and give them a win by completely altering your behavior.

I have been to games on sept 11 (10th, 12th) whatever since and have had the same thoughts......security will be high, a no fly zone.....fighterplanes will likely fly by etc.....I guess anything is possible if so I couldn't think of a better place to go.....

Dont get me wrong, Im not altering my lifestyle. I too have been to the games on the 10th and 12th. I am glad that we are increasing the security measures. I cant wait for the game, just a little nervous. There is no way that I will not be attending the opener, especially because of the throwbacks!

I know I may sound stupid, and you can make fun of me, but I am a little nervous about the home opener.  With it being the anniversary of the attacks, Im a little nervous about it.  Considering how close we are to the border, the amount of people attending, and its a highly publicized event--Im nervous.  Just wanted a little feedback about how others feel.  Im going to the game regardless, if its my time, its my time.

412929[/snapback]

This is actually the second time that the bills home opener has been on 9/11. I will be flying my special commemorative flag at the tailgate. It is a day to remember not fear. FYI if you have an insatiable urge to wrap a Pizza Hut tablecloth around your head , this may not be the right day to indulge .

The western mind and way of thinking has so infected the world that perhaps they have picked up this trait so there is a substanitally higher risk on 9/11. However, it would seem to be a good organizing and accomplishment strategy to aim for a second date and make 2 dates of 9/aa import on the road to creating 365 dates of import.

412940[/snapback]

I agree with you FFS, and I think this makes 9/11 a less likely date for an attack. Al Q's MO has been to observe and plan for extended time, then act, once they are sure of the logistics. Because our security and behavior will likely be different on 9/11, I don't think it is a logical target, since 9/11 "patterns" cannot have been observed at length, and are not at this point predictable.

I don't worry about things like terrorism at the stadium, I'm more worried about injuries on the field than in the stands.

In 2001 I was able to go to the World Series at Yankee Stadium due to the irrational fears of others. A bus company in the Albany area used to get series tickets when the Yankees made it in. In prior years they used to have drawings for the coveted tickets. Because so many people around here were afraid of the terrorists & going to NYC, the demand was down & it was 1st come, 1st served. A group of 4 of us went there at 10 am for the noon ticket sales. We got our seats & saw game 3. Ironically, it was the game Bush attended & was probably the safest place in the nation.

You're much more likely to get blown up attending the opening day of Iraqui futball than Bills football.

I agree with you FFS, and I think this makes 9/11 a less likely date for an attack.  Al Q's MO has been to observe and plan for extended time, then act, once they are sure of the logistics.  Because our security and behavior will likely be different on 9/11, I don't think it is a logical target, since 9/11 "patterns" cannot have been observed at length, and are not at this point predictable.

412965[/snapback]

I think one could go nuts trying to figure out all the possible targets (and thankfully for out society some people are willing to do this and prepare for the worse so the rest of us can generally go about our lives) and one should give it some thought but not so much thought that it interferes with life.

If one chooses to think about likely targets then the key to this really starts with trying to understand the opponents goals in terms of trying to predict what they might do.

I think we Americans actually tend to be weak in these areas as we incorrectly assume that the goals we think are reasonable are the goals other think are reasonable. As correct as we are in all things (just ask my wife) this simply is not the case.

My perception is that Al Quaeda (to the extent they can even be considered to have a command and control system similar to Western thinking) has goals which at the very least center on the Mideast as a starting point if they have some Westernized plan of world domination and actually center on the Mid-east as an endpoint.

The Prez and others actually seem to be fooling themselves into believing they are so important if they want to reduce Al Qs motivation down to the notion that they are motivated by their hatred of us. Actually, I don't think we are that important and a central focus of their's (as much as we want to exaggerate our importance). They do not like us at all and do hate us in a real way, but from what I can see 9/11 was actually a means to their broader goals involving their view of God and the mideast and the attack was not motivated by some foolish attempt to kill 300 million Americans starting with 3000 (of 50,000 if the killed all in the towers). They actually used the attack as a means to an end to show they could hit what they view as the Great Satan in his financial capital and having done so they already achieved great benefit in terms of recruiting and showing some cojones back home.

Perhaps it is time again to demonstrate their strength to the masses they target with another attack on the US.

I doubt it as they have tended to operate on a much larger timeline and their true targets are elsewhere than here.

Thesad thing about 9/11 is that I think that the deaths and suffering of our countrymen was actually collateral damage for them as a means to go after their true goals.

Who knows, but the best proof of this is that quite frankly if they chose to give their lives to kill Americans and wreak havoc on our complex economic system it would not actually be that difficult to do. You pick a weaker target like a train after we spent billions on planes or you take a low-tech straightforward approach rather than the higher tech things we often focus upon and the chances of success are quite high.

I know I may sound stupid, and you can make fun of me, but I am a little nervous about the home opener.  With it being the anniversary of the attacks, Im a little nervous about it.  Considering how close we are to the border, the amount of people attending, and its a highly publicized event--Im nervous.  Just wanted a little feedback about how others feel.  Im going to the game regardless, if its my time, its my time.

412929[/snapback]

Osama wants to attack Buffalo? Why?

0:)

I think you're confusing this town for NYC.

To be honest I confided in my wife that I thought it wouldn't surprise me if a coordinated attack on NFL stadiums on 9/11 would be attempted.  It just seems right up Al Quaeda's alley.

412997[/snapback]

Do you really think that any terrorist would have a chance against a typical Buffalo tailgate crowd ? They wouldn't last long - even with automatic weapons

There are more important things to worry about

This September 11th should be no different than the the last couple of years. Security at the borders is at an all time high, air security is very high and the lessons we learned on 9/11 have contributed to an increased police presence for these larger events oh by the way cops have guns and they are not afraid to use them. If I had tickets I would go to the home opener because like others have said if your gonna go, go BIG! By going to these types of events and continuing living life the way we do we are showing the coward terrorists WE ARE NOT AFRAID just more aware.

ps: I would be more afraid of the tailgaters than anything else, especially if I was a Houston fan :-)

Do you really think that any terrorist would have a chance against a typical Buffalo tailgate crowd ?  They wouldn't last long - even with automatic weapons

There are more important things to worry about

413067[/snapback]

I agree with you, and I don't think the terrorists would attack in Orchard Park...but the main reason why I won't be there is 9/11 is my sixth wedding anniversary.

If I told my wife we were going to a football game on our anniversary, she'd kill me. She's not a football fan, and once told me she thought the Bills had won one of those Super Bowls.

The terrorists believe that they are fighting the "Great Satan"...and they once believed that we were a paper tiger...I doubt many of Osama's allies feel that way any more, but they believe in fighting until the death.

Mike

I agree with you, and I don't think the terrorists would attack in Orchard Park...but the main reason why I won't be there is 9/11 is my sixth wedding anniversary. 

If I told my wife we were going to a football game on our anniversary, she'd kill me.  She's not a football fan, and once told me she thought the Bills had won one of those Super Bowls.

The terrorists believe that they are fighting the "Great Satan"...and they once believed that we were a paper tiger...I doubt many of Osama's allies feel that way any more, but they believe in fighting until the death.

Mike

413092[/snapback]

That's the problem with terrorists - they generally pick on the defenseless

When we got married - I told my wife - stuff like that doesn't happen during football season ;) - We did it in May - 27 years ago

She's no real football fan - hasn't been to a game since 1985-6 (I forget) when she froze her ass off in the upper deck watching Green Bay

She is coming to the game in San Diego on November 20th - but I won't sit next to her - too many questions 0:)

Happy Anniversery - you know how to celebrate ! ;)

To be honest I confided in my wife that I thought it wouldn't surprise me if a coordinated attack on NFL stadiums on 9/11 would be attempted.  It just seems right up Al Quaeda's alley.

So what did your wife say?

412929[/snapback]

you're right -- i've been suspicious of those canadiens for a while as well.

just bustin' your chops. no one in this country can be blamed for feeling a little anxiety on that date -- ever.

My understanding about the way the terrorist works is that they base a major attack (9-11) on going when the operation is ready. They generally don't plan for specific dates, etc. This is usually true for major operations, not as true for small ones. So, the idea that they would be trying to pull of some major attack on Sept. 11th again is remote, that they would attack the Ralph is in my opinion even more remote since there are other areas of the country that would afford more publicity. An attack on the Ralph would generate a certain amount of immediate publicity, an attack on Giants Stadium or San Fran (don't know what they're calling it this year) would provide even more.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'll be there and won't really be thinking about it except for remembering the people who lost their lives, and those that are overseas fighting so it won't happen again.

I do always make sure I know the best way to get out of the stadium in the event of an emergency. I even have a back up plan in the event exiting is not the best idea. Maybe the emergency in the stadium is intended to get everyone going out for the real attack?

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it.

I do always make sure I know the best way to get out of the stadium in the event of an emergency.  I even have a back up plan in the event exiting is not the best idea.  Maybe the emergency in the stadium is intended to get everyone going out for the real attack?

413127[/snapback]

i don't even want to ask... 0:)

412929[/snapback]

Buffalo's value (and Detroit's, and Seattle's) to trans-national terrorism is as a transit point, not a target. A large-scale attack in any of those cities would be so detrimental to their ability to operate in the US as to make any action counter-productive from their point of view. If you're concerned about terrorism, Buffalo-Niagara Falls is probably one of the safest areas to be in.

412929[/snapback]

Valid concern, but I dont think it will be anything to worry about. The thing about terrorists is that they only strike when its not expected or we cant do anything about it. For large crowds such as sporting events, security is tight, the skies are watched yada yada. Look at the types of attacks that have happened, 9/11, Spain, London, the attack on the Navy ship that was in dock at the time last week. All these attacks came when we didnt expect them too. They are smart enough to know when to plan their attacks at least.

Anyone tries to disrupt the Bills Home Opener they will get seriously messed up. 75,000 fans would seriously injure if not flat out kill any scumbag terrorists before they even had a chance to do something stupid.

We were at DisneyWorld on the one year anniv of 9/11 - went to Magic Kingdom that day and it was a great day - the least crowded I've ever seen it. No lines and hardy any people.

The Stadium would be safer than the inner city. Sad, but true.

What are terrorists?

Those are people who use terror as a means to an end. For more information on the subject I suggest you watch the movie Brazil and read the book 1984. Then take a look at our nightly news.

412929[/snapback]

If you live your life in fear, the terrorists win! Besides the terrorists we are dealing with are cowards and prefer sneak attacks. The US will be on hightened security on the 11th, especially at events around the nation.

I was at the game yesterday with my family and it was kind of spooky to have Steve Taskder give a public service announcement about "emergency evacuation procedures" right before kickoff. There was even a blurb in the small "Game Day Program" that was handed out entitled "Evacuation Procedures". I can't remember the Bills' making an official notice about this.

having sex or watching a bills game.

The only two ways I would want to die.

413788[/snapback]

Yeah, we argue and don't like each other, but you're right Steve. I agree with you. This is not something I'd spend much time on. I don't think anyone is planning on killing everyone at the Ralph anytime soon. (unless it's a bonehead penalty thing)

412929[/snapback]

Hey remember one thing Muslim extremist are pure cowards. They will get you when you really cant defend yourself, shopping mall, grocery store, and yes the Ralph is certainly big enough to be a target. What the extremist will shy away from is a group of people that wont stand up for themseleves. Show no fear and they will not come near. If they have any inkling that someone from buffalo will put a beat down on them, then they will run away. They want to attack groups that cannot in any way fight back. Be proud to be an American, and act like one, free!

412929[/snapback]

Not quite the same, but I remember my mother having great fear of my brother and I going to the the Raiders chaimpionship game. The war had started Thursday night, and the Bills-Raiders game was the first really national event that was taking place. I never had any fear however, and will second what Stojan said earlier. I was thinking if nothing happens and the Bills win and go to their first SB, I'll be pissed I wasn't there.

On the other hand, if something happens along the lines of Black Sunday and its my time, what better place to go then Rich(much younger with no kids and wife then).

All I remeber is the Bills imploring everybody to the gates early, as security was going to be tough, and it was. But dam, that flyover and the national anthem had both of us in tears. I am sure there will be something planned for this game as well, at the very least a moment of silence. Hopefully, some of the sign guys will have "we will never forget, and never suurrender" type signs at the game