Clements agent at Tues. practice

Dan III

From that article...

"I'm the best and I don't settle for nothing less," said Clements, a four-year veteran who's entering the final year of his contract. "It's just like if you're the best at your job, you want to be compensated for being the best at your position."

410564[/snapback]

The Bills have a history of not paying for the players who think they are the "best". They will probably bank on Eric King or Kevin Thomas to step up, not Nate. Will be surprised if TD signs him, does not like to lock up $ in one player.....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have a history of not paying for the players who think they are the "best".  They will probably bank on Eric King or Kevin Thomas to step up, not Nate.  Will be surprised if TD signs him, does not like to lock up $ in one player.....

410570[/snapback]

Hmm. Please name ONE example. They paid Spikes like he was one of the best LBs, Malloy like he was one of the best SSs, Moulds like a top WR.

In fact, you could hardly be more wrong.

Hmm.  Please name ONE example.  They paid Spikes like he was one of the best LBs, Malloy like he was one of the best SSs, Moulds like a top WR.

In fact, you could hardly be more wrong.

410573[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right about these players.

I believe with certain players that TD has questions about, or concerns about salary cap (like not signing Pat Williams or Jonas Jennings) he will not sign. He really seems to be about value, I just can't see him signing Nate to a contract that will satisfy Nate.

Considered among the league's top emerging shutdown corners, he's coming off his best season, in which he matched a career high with six interceptions and had a career-high four forced fumbles. His most memorable game last year came in Buffalo's 33-17 win over Cincinnati, when he forced a fumble and held Bengals' top receiver Chad Johnson to two catches for 10 yards.

I don't know about youze guys, but I remember the Jax game much more than the Bengals game... <_<

I don't know about youze guys, but I remember the Jax game much more than the Bengals game...  <_<

410593[/snapback]

As do I.

Dont get me wrong...I do believe Nate deserves to be paid LIKE one of the top CBs in the league, just not THE top CB in the NFL. While he is a playmaker and a shut-down corner, he's not the best yet...the mental screwups still catch him far too often.

Anyone else remember his fumble in the Steelers game early on? Totally swung momentum towards the boys from Pittsburgh.

If Clements thinks he is the best and expects to be paid the best for a cornerback....

Good bye Nate,

Good bye Nate,

We're sorry to see you go.

But at that price for a cornerback no way. That kind of money for a corner back could tie the teams salary cap hands for years. We would be much better off getting good corner who is not so costly and spending savings to improve another position.

If as someone suggested we could sign him for top 5 money, that might work. But even that is alot of money tied up in one cornerback.

From that article...

"I'm the best and I don't settle for nothing less," said Clements, a four-year veteran who's entering the final year of his contract. "It's just like if you're the best at your job, you want to be compensated for being the best at your position."

410564[/snapback]

Say hello franchise tag ... agree quickly to a deal with team like Spikes did before money dries out or end up playing on one year deal or going thru same thing next year. If you are the best then you are CERTAINLY worth tagging.

I don't know about youze guys, but I remember the Jax game much more than the Bengals game...  <_<

410593[/snapback]

As do I.

Dont get me wrong...I do believe Nate deserves to be paid LIKE one of the top CBs in the league, just not THE top CB in the NFL.  While he is a playmaker and a shut-down corner, he's not the best yet...the mental screwups still catch him far too often.

Anyone else remember his fumble in the Steelers game early on?  Totally swung momentum towards the boys from Pittsburgh.

410598[/snapback]

Yep. Nate can be very, very good or make very, very big screwups at wrong time. But like Henry I see a team being willing to limit his minuses in a new deal especially if he does not make those kind of mental mistakes this year.

Yeah, you're right about these players. 

I believe with certain players that TD has questions about, or concerns about salary cap (like not signing Pat Williams or Jonas Jennings) he will not sign.  He really seems to be about value, I just can't see him signing Nate to a contract that will satisfy Nate.

410581[/snapback]

I think that based on the examples you site (PW and JJ) of TD refusing to pay and the examples a poster reminded you of where TD paid a pretty heftt market based figure (Spikes, Milloy, Moulds) if you are looking for a common thread it is that TD will pay a lot for a player who deems will give a valuable performance and will not pay for a player he thinks won't.

For these 5 examples I'd say TD looks like he is batting 100% in these choices. Spikes and Moulds both earned Pro Bowl nods after they were signed and Milloy has not disappointed in terms of his performance for the Bills as some said he was done and the alternative is Coy Wire.

Its too early to tell how things will play out with the loss of Phat Pat and JJ, but given that the D looks very impressive so far and doesn't seemed to have missed a beat with Edward/Anderson stepping in for PW and JJ already missing some practice time with an injury these look like great choices.

When one throws in some great deals he pulled off for Pro Bowler Adams, signing Moorman long-term for a song and getting good production from FAs Fletcher and Posey, the good choices he has made that have worked out seem to easily outweigh the few clunkers he made with horrible decisions regarding placekickers being a dime-a-dozen and resigning Bledsoe *an example again that is contrary to your original thesis that he refuses to pay.

As i have said, I think that Clements is the one who is unlikely to really want a deal as uncertaontioes regarding the new cap which may either go up or go up a whole bunch. In addition you don't have to go that high in salary that if he really wants pay consistent with being one of the top CBs in the league it may be impossible to a deal that large under the current cap.

i saw that too.

"I'm the best and I don't settle for nothing less".

wow. just WOW.

but he has not made a huge problem with his contract over the past years. he hasnt held out. hes still on his rookie contract. i woudl be looking for a big contract too.

i dont think hes the "best in the NFL", but if he will take top 10, maybe top 5. but C. Bailey should not have gotten that deal.

hes a young, improving, very tallented player. if you dont keep him on the team, who would you keep? i just hope he doesnt have a bigger cap hit than spikes.

I like Nate, I think he does a fine job. Top DB in the league? I don't think so. He made the Pro Bowl, but wasn't that as an alternate? He's as solid as they come, but Champ Bailey money?

I hope TD can sign him and not screw up the salary money for the rest of the team. Tom's done a fantastic job, with the exception of the Mike Williams pick, of keeping us out of the top 10 draft choice money. He got McGahee late in the first, Evans at #13? and Losman in the 20's, and no first rounder this year.

He's a pretty smart guy that Donahoe.

what other CB has contributed as much in the way of POINTS for his team? nate has returned numerous punts and INTs for TDs. he also forces fumbles and has the ability to shut down an opponent's top receiver (see: chad johnson). i don't want to hear about the 4th down against jacksonville last year; nate made more than enough fantastic plays to make up for that one bad play.

i'm not saying that the bills SHOULD pay him if it doesn't work within the team construct, but he IS worthy of top-CB money.

what other CB has contributed as much in the way of POINTS for his team?  nate has returned numerous punts and INTs for TDs.  he also forces fumbles and has the ability to shut down an opponent's top receiver (see:  chad johnson).  i don't want to hear about the 4th down against jacksonville last year; nate made more than enough fantastic plays to make up for that one bad play.

i'm not saying that the bills SHOULD pay him if it doesn't work within the team construct, but he IS worthy of top-CB money.

410819[/snapback]

ok but can we make him like the #3 or #4 paid CB. i dont want to be paying him more than 7 mil/yr. and if we are going to pay him top CB in the league money, well whats the point in signing him now? might as well just wait untill the end of the season to do that. you do the contract now because it gives him peice of mind, even though he'll get paid slightly less. (or am i wrong on that?)

Anyone else remember his fumble in the Steelers game early on? Totally swung momentum towards the boys from Pittsburgh.

Totally swung momentum? It was 2:00 into the game and resulted in nothing more than a FG. :D

Do you remember anything else from that game? Like the two other fumbles that Clements forced and the Bills recovered? Or the multiple passes he defended, one of which was a great tip that resulted in Spikes interception? Or the touchdown he scored off his own interception that gave the Bills the lead in the 3rd quarter. Or the pile of tackles he had since he was all over the field throughout the game?

Nate Clements was responsible for 4 P'burgh turnovers, was second on the team in tackles and with all due respect to PhatPat's outstanding effort, was the best player on the field in the Bills biggest game of the year.

TD: Do you recall the Jacksonville game?
I don't know about youze guys, but I remember the Jax game much more than the Bengals game...
the mental screwups still catch him far too often.
Yep. Nate can.....make very, very big screwups at wrong time.
Didn't he basically cost us a game with a bone-head play?

You guys are unbelievable sometimes. Do you have any idea what the life of a corner is like? He is the last line of defense and is under pressure on every single play of every game. Everybody in the front7 can take plays off here and there but if a corner takes a play off it's likely 6 points because he ahs nobody covering his back. Everybody in the front 7 can lose his battle here and there but if a corner loses his battle it's likely a significant gain because he has nobody covering his back. And about the only time anyone ever notices a corner is when he does make a mistake or get beat and then they're screeching for his head. You can make 50 perfect plays in a row and then make one tiny mistake, and suddenly people are screaming about how much you suck.

Clements made one mistake on one play trying to do too much in the first game of the year (a game in which he had held HOF'er Jimmy Smith to 3 catches for 30 yrds, was 3rd on the team in tackles and had a pick at the Jag 20 which led to the Bills only TD) and it's all you knuckleheads can talk about when assessing his play.

I want you all to take a mental inventory of the Bills last season and make a list of all the times that Nate got beat or screwed up on the corner. When you come up with a grand total of about 1 while running about 1,000 plays your mouths should be gaping in wonder at that incredible effort. Nate Clements was by far the best CB in the NFL last season, and there wasn't even a close second. But yeah, y'all keep talking about the one mistake he made while ignoring the 900+ other plays he did make.

All that being said, even though he's one of the leagues most valuable players, is incredibly durable and plays a terribly difficult postion to fill, I'd be very hesitant to make him the highest paid corner in the NFL. It's an awful lot of money to tie up in one guy when you have an entire roster to stock.

what other CB has contributed as much in the way of POINTS for his team?  nate has returned numerous punts and INTs for TDs.  he also forces fumbles and has the ability to shut down an opponent's top receiver (see:  chad johnson).  i don't want to hear about the 4th down against jacksonville last year; nate made more than enough fantastic plays to make up for that one bad play.

410819[/snapback]

Thank you eball.....