Why did Wade bench Flutie?

Frez

It still bothers me to think Rob Johnson played over our starting QB in that playoff game vs the Titans. Why did Wade bench Flutie? I think thge outcome of the game would have been different if Doug would have played. We had such a good team going into that game and we had to go with a candy ass for a QB.

:D

It still bothers me to think Rob Johnson played over our starting QB in that playoff game vs the Titans. Why did Wade bench Flutie? I think thge outcome of the game would have been different if Doug would have played. We had such a good team going into that game and we had to go with a candy ass for a QB.

406638[/snapback]

It never would have come down to the last play if Flutie hadn't paced the sidelines all game with his helmet on going "when can I play, coach, huh? huh? when can I play?" Without that distraction the Bills would have won by three touchdowns.

It never would have come down to the last play if Flutie hadn't paced the sidelines all game with his helmet on going "when can I play, coach, huh? huh?  when can I play?"  Without that distraction the Bills would have won by three touchdowns.

406646[/snapback]

Flutie humping Wade's leg for three hours was a tad distracting... not that Wade was even watching the game. :D

it would have been the same result, at best. Flutie doesn't play special teams, and RJ put together one of the most forgotten but toughest, guttiest performances ever. That dude was beaten down (insert homoerotic joke here) by the titans and he still was able to drive down for the winning field goal. But, neither doug flutie nor rob johnson played special teams that day, so i think your question is moot.. Also, it was 5 years ago, so its pretty moot now too...

Now for a real question... What would have become of bill parcells had mark kelso been able to tackle??

406638[/snapback]

Are we still on this? 6 years ago and we're still talking about this crap?!! :D

Are we still on this?  6 years ago and we're still talking about this crap?!! :D

406698[/snapback]

6?

I'm still pissed over the Buf KC game for Superbowl one.

I have all my teeth, too, and my hair is still brown.

The sad part is that I told my brother during the game that the winner of this game will go to the superbowl.  DAMN

406701[/snapback]

I couldn't see that team doing better than perhaps getting past the second round. Beating the Colts and Jaguars would have been a tall order for that team.

I couldn't see that team doing better than perhaps getting past the second round. Beating the Colts and Jaguars would have been a tall order for that team.

406703[/snapback]

We had one HELL of a defense that year. Who knows what would have gone down.

Didn't we have the #1 defense that year?

I think we did.

Damn, if only we could go back and let the other QB start.

Ummm, that "other" QB once started a home playoff game in 1986 for the 14-2 Chicago Bears when JMcMahon was hurt. Despite having one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL in his back pocket, he could only lead his unit to 13 points and the Bears lost.

I really doubt he would have fared much better in what was at teh time arguably the league's toughest place to win. :D

Ummm, that "other" QB once started a home playoff game in 1986 for the 14-2 Chicago Bears when JMcMahon was hurt. Despite having one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL in his back pocket, he could only lead his unit to 13 points and the Bears lost.

I really doubt he would have fared much better in what was at teh time arguably the league's toughest place to win.  :D

406731[/snapback]

How many games did it take us to find out Rob Johnson is a loser? :D

I really doubt he would have fared much better in what was at teh time arguably the league's toughest place to win.  :D

406731[/snapback]

McMahon/Flutie is exactly the same situation as Flutie/Johnson. One QB led his team during the regular season. Both had #1 Defenses, but they could have had #32 defenses. The defense has nothing to do with it. Its the other 10 players on offense that are affected when a different QB is in there, playoffs, super bowl, or regular season.

The 86 Bears offense was designed with McMahon in mind, not Flutie.

The 99 Bills offense was designed with a mobile QB with a noodle arm in mind, not a tackling dummie with a glass jaw

How many games did it take us to find out Rob Johnson is a loser?

They were both losers and it didn't matter which one we put on the field

McMahon/Flutie is exactly the same situation as Flutie/Johnson.

Doug Flutie at no point in his career is in any way comparable to Jim McMahon.

Both had #1 Defenses, but they could have had #32 defenses. The defense has nothing to do with it.

When you have a great defense you have way more room for error, can focus on protecting the ball instead of gambling for scores and can win with mediocre performances from your offense and ST's. The '86 Bears and '99 Bills provided neither for their D's.

Cya

406638[/snapback]

That's when the rest of the platoon's recruits beat Private Frez with bars of soap in the end of a sock.

406638[/snapback]

I feel sorry for you if you need to discuss this again. Perhaps, you had forgotten the little one's performance in the playoffs just the year before. The other QB actually lead us to victory but some idiot on ST decided to take a play off.

I thought wins and losses were a measure of success on this board? :D

P.S., I'm smart enought to know that the defense won us that game, BTW. Those blinded by bitter jealousy won't. How sad. :P

McMahon/Flutie is exactly the same situation as Flutie/Johnson.  One QB led his team during the regular season.  Both had #1 Defenses, but they could have had #32 defenses.  The defense has nothing to do with it.  Its the other 10 players on offense that are affected when a different QB is in there, playoffs, super bowl, or regular season.

The 86 Bears offense was designed with McMahon in mind, not Flutie.

The 99 Bills offense was designed with a mobile QB with a noodle arm in mind, not a tackling dummie with a glass jaw

406738[/snapback]

YOu forget that the Bills' offiense under Flutie had beenplaying like crap the second half of that season, showing a painful inability to score, and winning only becasue of the defense. A lot of people thought Floutie had lost whatever surprise benefit he had had in his first season and a half. In the last five games Flutie started that season, the Bills scored 7, 17, 17, 31 (against the Arizon Cardinals, the worst team in theleague, with a kick return giving the final 7 points of that game in the last minute of play) and 13 points, lost two of the five games,and won theother two by seven and three points.

So in the last regular season game, after the Bills had clinched a playoff birth, Wade decided to start Rob Johnson against the Colts, who at that point were 14-2 or thereabouts, and fighting with Jacksonville for home field advantage throughout the post season. Rob Johnson, that terrible quarterback, took the moribund Bills offense and completely destroyed the Colts, picking them apart, and the Bills won 31-6. I remember SDS's head exploding after the game.

So Wade made the switch and called on Johnson to start the game against Tennessee.

The Flutie fanatics were furious. It's only in 20-20 hindsight, after the Forward lateral, and using convenient amnesia of where the Bills were at that point in their season, that everyone said the Bills would do better with Flutie at QB. Please spare me the "We would have scored thirty point if Dougie had started BS."

Why are we even discussing this considering we have still not resolved why Todd Collins was benched for Alex Van Pelt after that Broncos game.

406700[/snapback]

The only people who should have lost their jobs after that Broncos game were John Fina and Dan Henning. Anyone who remembers that fuggin reverse will know what I'm talking about.

YOu forget that the Bills' offiense under Flutie had beenplaying like crap the second half of that season, showing a painful inability to score, and winning only becasue of the defense.  A lot of people thought Floutie had lost whatever surprise benefit he had had in his first season and a half.  In the last five games Flutie started that season, the Bills scored 7, 17, 17, 31 (against the Arizon Cardinals, the worst team in theleague, with a kick return giving the final 7 points of that game in the last minute of play) and 13 points, lost two of the five games,and won theother two by seven and three points. 

So in the last regular season game, after the Bills had clinched a playoff birth, Wade decided to start Rob Johnson against the Colts, who at that point were 14-2 or thereabouts, and fighting with Jacksonville for home field advantage throughout the post season.  Rob Johnson, that terrible quarterback, took the moribund Bills offense and completely destroyed the Colts, picking them apart, and the Bills won 31-6.  I remember SDS's head exploding after the game.

So Wade made the switch and called on Johnson to start the game against Tennessee.

The Flutie fanatics were furious.  It's only in 20-20  hindsight, after the Forward lateral, and using convenient amnesia of where the Bills were at that point in their season, that everyone said the Bills would do better with Flutie at QB.  Please spare me the "We would have scored thirty point if Dougie had started BS."

406765[/snapback]

Your logic will only serve to get you banned from this board. :D

YOu forget that the Bills' offiense under Flutie had beenplaying like crap the second half of that season, showing a painful inability to score, and winning only becasue of the defense.  A lot of people thought Floutie had lost whatever surprise benefit he had had in his first season and a half.  In the last five games Flutie started that season, the Bills scored 7, 17, 17, 31 (against the Arizon Cardinals, the worst team in theleague, with a kick return giving the final 7 points of that game in the last minute of play) and 13 points, lost two of the five games,and won theother two by seven and three points. 

So in the last regular season game, after the Bills had clinched a playoff birth, Wade decided to start Rob Johnson against the Colts, who at that point were 14-2 or thereabouts, and fighting with Jacksonville for home field advantage throughout the post season.  Rob Johnson, that terrible quarterback, took the moribund Bills offense and completely destroyed the Colts, picking them apart, and the Bills won 31-6.  I remember SDS's head exploding after the game.

The Flutie fanatics were furious.  It's only in 20-20  hindsight, after the Forward lateral, and using convenient amnesia of where the Bills were at that point in their season, that everyone said the Bills would do better with Flutie at QB.  Please spare me the "We would have scored thirty point if Dougie had started BS."

406765[/snapback]

That sounds about right. My only question is why Wade didn't pull the plug on Flutie before he did. In hindsight, the ultimate irony for the Flutie fans is that had Wade benched him a month earlier as he should have, Flutie would have likely started the Titans playoff game after RJ inevitably got injured in the final month of the regular season.