TD looking to fit Corey Simon under the cap

Its been all over the Trenton Times and 610 in Philly is reporting the same thing. I didnt believe the first story but even after TD and the Eagles pres said they havent talked they again reported that TD is looking into fitting him under the cap. Apparently we have made an offer for a 2nd and 3rd for Corey Simon. Seems steep to me but whatever.

I posted this same thing on the Bills-zone board and a guy who lives in Philly said its been circulating down there.

TD is also apparently trying to get Clements a long term deal before the season starts and if he cant fit both, he will fit Clements in first.

Heres what the Philly guy said:

Mark Eckel from the Trenton Times is the beat reporter for the Eagles for the Sporting News..... The Trenton Times is very credible..... Eckel also reports on 610AM WIP, the 24 hour sports talk radio station where most of the rumors flow through..... Again, the deal on the table is a 2006 2nd and 3rd round pick for Simon..... Donahoe is working on the cap now to see if he can do it..... the dilemma is that he is quietly working on a contract extension for Clements, and wants to get it done before the season starts..... if he can make both deals happen, he will, if he can't, he's going to priortize with Clements..... forget all of the 'trade Moulds or Evans' crap, it ain't gonna happen, this is the deal..... I apologize if I don't have any links, but I am from Philadelphia (live in L.A. now) and have dozens of friends and family who are reporting this, as they have seen it on the news and all listen to WIP..... no guarantees, but let's cross our fingers for Donahoe to make it ALL happen, and this team will be one step closer to being a real force.....

Its been all over the Trenton Times and 610 in Philly is reporting the same thing. I didnt believe the first story but even after TD and the Eagles pres said they havent talked they again reported that TD is looking into fitting him under the cap. Apparently we have made an offer for a 2nd and 3rd for Corey Simon. Seems steep to me but whatever.

I posted this same thing on the Bills-zone board and a guy who lives in Philly said its been circulating down there.

TD is also apparently trying to get Clements a long term deal before the season starts and if he cant fit both, he will fit Clements in first.

Heres what the Philly guy said:

Mark Eckel from the Trenton Times is the beat reporter for the Eagles for the Sporting News..... The Trenton Times is very credible..... Eckel also reports on 610AM WIP, the 24 hour sports talk radio station where most of the rumors flow through..... Again, the deal on the table is a 2006 2nd and 3rd round pick for Simon..... Donahoe is working on the cap now to see if he can do it..... the dilemma is that he is quietly working on a contract extension for Clements, and wants to get it done before the season starts..... if he can make both deals happen, he will, if he can't, he's going to priortize with Clements..... forget all of the 'trade Moulds or Evans' crap, it ain't gonna happen, this is the deal..... I apologize if I don't have any links, but I am from Philadelphia (live in L.A. now) and have dozens of friends and family who are reporting this, as they have seen it on the news and all listen to WIP..... no guarantees, but let's cross our fingers for Donahoe to make it ALL happen, and this team will be one step closer to being a real force.....

403032[/snapback]

A 2nd and a 3rd seems like a lot to give up, although we have a spare 3rd. Which begs the question: who's 3rd does Philly get...The Bills or the Titans?

Is this a good deal? Is Simon a player we want? Is he a malcontent?

PTR

A 2nd is giving up too much.

Our Titans 3rd plus Josh Reed seems fair to me. Corey Simon isn't exactly the next coming of Ted Washington for us. Don't forget, there are multiple reasons for the Eagles wanting to trade him:

1. He's expensive.

2. He's lazy.

3. His overall production has steadily declined for the past few years.

My opinion, a 2nd and 3rd plus the cap space is giving up too much for

an already solid defense.

403074[/snapback]

I agree.

Now if that kind of deal could snag a quality LOT I'd do it in a heartbeat. Gandy may be a serviceable guy, but he's nothing more than a stop gap solution (and would make a great depth guy who can play multiple OL positions).

Full Name: Corey Jermaine Simon

Born: March 2, 1977

Boynton Beach, FL

Height: 6-2

Weight: 293 lbs. ;)

Pos: DT

Experience: 6 years

College: Florida State

Drafted: Year: 2000 Round:1 Pick:6

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 77 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

He is a much better athlete in space than you might imagine, and has good change of direction and movement in a short area. Simon keeps moving, has active feet, and is not easy to keep blocked. He has excellent overall instincts and seems to have a great feel for blocking schemes and angles, and he does an excellent job of locating the ball.

Although his durability has been good over the years, Simon's body type indicates that he could be susceptible to a lot of pulls and nagging injuries. Durability certainly isn't a big question mark yet, but remains a long term concern. As thick as he is, he is almost an undersized guy for an inside player, which forces him to be more of a move and penetrating DT.

hes a franchise DT. great at putting pressure on the QB. and a definate upgrade over edwards. can you imagin having 2 pass rushing DTs. a 2nd and a 3rd is not that much for a franchise player. but we can throw in Reed or some other player in there. i also dont think we have to give up the titans' 3rd rounder.(which would be a high pick). our 3rd rounder would be good enough.

all we have to do is get simon to agree to a low cap hit contract.

we also need a OT, but why say no to a player with as much tallent and pressense on the D-Line like Simon?

Comment:

He is a much better athlete in space than you might imagine...

403088[/snapback]

If that's the case, maybe they should send him up with the next shuttle.

Comment:

He is a much better athlete in space than you might imagine, and has good change of direction and movement in a short area. Simon keeps moving, has active feet, and is not easy to keep blocked. He has excellent overall instincts and seems to have a great feel for blocking schemes and angles, and he does an excellent job of locating the ball.

403088[/snapback]

He's also MUCH stronger than other 300 pounders and he plays with classic technique due to excellent training and learning skills- he would change our outlook for the season from missing the playoffs as an 8-8 team to instead being a contender for a run at a title. The money is still hard for me to grasp but if it could be done I for one will be feeling a WHOLE heck of a lot better about the 2005 Bills, especially after watching Gandy do a pretty good job on KGB in the scrim.

The only reason I'd be against this trade is if it effects re-signing nate clements, if not there's no reason not to want simon. It doesn't effect us from drafting a lt in a tackle heavy draft next year. we'd still have a 1st/3rd-7th rd picks, and improve an already good defense. It's win/win.

The only reason I'd be against this trade is if it effects re-signing nate clements, if not there's no reason not to want simon. It doesn't effect us from drafting a lt in a tackle heavy draft next year.  we'd still have a 1st/3rd-7th rd picks, and  improve an already good defense.  It's win/win.

403118[/snapback]

Good observation, Guess. Makes sense.

If we were going to spend a bunch of money on a DT, wouldn't we have just kept Pat Williams?

403117[/snapback]

Pat is 6 years older (going to turn 34 in October). It's just a difference in age--TD won't pay big money to guys "on the wrong side of 30."

A trade for Simon doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have always been super high on Ron Edwards-- give the guy a shot to be a star. He has the talent.

How many more years do you all think Adams is going to play? How many with the Bills? I think not more than 1 or 2, tops. Corey Simon, when healthy and on top of his game, is close to unblockable - in the Marcus Stroud mold. Putting him next to Adams for a year would make our line nearly impossible to run up the gut on, and teams would have a ton of trouble accounging for our passrush. We already use a ton of blitzes to overload the line - now imagine what it would be like with a line of Schobel, Simon, Adams, and Kelsay, plus our linebacking crew and the occasional Milloy/Clements blitz. It would be, in a word, a massacre.

Give me the top D in the League over the top O any day - especially a Sunday in January. I just can't complain about this move if it happens, and the rumor sure as hell excites me.

How many more years do you all think Adams is going to play? 

403144[/snapback]

Simon is a jump the gap guy (i.e., a guesser) rather than a space clogger a'la SA. I don't see him as Adams eventual replacement--two different kinds of players.

Putting him next to Adams for a year would make our line nearly impossible to run up the gut on.

403144[/snapback]

I don't like DT's that try to guess on gaps. They'll look great when they guess right but put themselves out of the play when they're wrong. Fat Pat would do a lot of this when he got tired (see the Pittsburgh game), opening big holes to run through.

Give me two DTs to protect LF and force everything to the outside...I like that scheme a lot better.

Fat Pat would do a lot of this when he got tired (see the Pittsburgh game), opening big holes to run through.

Outside of Clements I thought PhatPat was the best Bill on the field during the Stiller game. Most of the damage we incurred in the groundgame came over the left side of our front7, the same as it was all year where Posey, Kelsay and to some extent Denney just aren't stout enough at the POA to hold up against a strong running attack.

I agree that Simon's style of play is very dissimilar to the Keg's, but we're thin enough at DT, both presently and for the future, that this is a deal worth exploring if the Bills can work with Simon's agent.

Cya