Anyone starting to think competition for the

then your friend needs glasses.jp looked very average.theres times he should have ran instead of throwing,and theres times he should have thrown instead of running. missed quite a few plays that could have resulted in big yards

400388[/snapback]

Average as compared to what? Did you expect Joe Montana?

No one is saying JP was perfect. He absolutely was not, and I would expect better from a 10 year NFL starter. But JP is not a 10 year NFL starter. He did play much better than I expected for a 1st year starter with minimal game experience. Tonight was nothing but a positive, though there was plenty of room to improve.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Average as compared to what?  Did you expect Joe Montana? 

No one is saying JP was perfect.  He absolutely was not,  and I would expect better from a 10 year NFL starter.  But JP is not a 10 year NFL starter.    He did play much better than I expected for a 1st year starter with minimal game experience.  Tonight was nothing but a positive,  though there was plenty of room to improve.

400408[/snapback]

Exactly. The potential was shown, and his "meltdown" that so many expected did not occur, quite the opposite as it seemed like he had total control of the huddle.

Combining this with my trip to camp and seeing JP in person, I feel very confident about his ability to lead this team in the future. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tory Woodbury on an NFL squad this year... 3rd stringer somewhere. Guy seems to be athletic, if nothing else.

400423[/snapback]

He got a lot of looks at camp as well. They had him returning kickoffs too, it all struck me as very odd. He seems to be a player in need of a position, I'd like to see him get some work in the preseason games, maybe starting the 3rd/4th QTRs because...lets face it...its not like Shane Matthews needs any more work. He's not going to improve with more playing time, the guy is in his 12th year I think.

Lets see what Woodbury can do in a meaningless game...we might have a nice weapon in him.

then your friend needs glasses.jp looked very average.theres times he should have ran instead of throwing,and theres times he should have thrown instead of running. missed quite a few plays that could have resulted in big yards

400388[/snapback]

Um...who's replacing Teddy Bruski for the Pats???? I'd start worrying about that before concerning yourself with JP Losman.

Holcomb looked great, but so did Favre. Experienced QBs feast on these types of situations because they know that defenders can't touch them. Favre and Holcomb stood in the packet without any fear and looked great because of it. In real game situation Favre would've been sacked a couple of times (refs didn't whistle at least twice on Favre) and Holcomb wouldn't have the time and open receivers against the first stringers.

Just my opinion. Holcomb had plenty of time to become a starter with other teams and didn't.  JP is a more talented Flutie, way more talented. Give him time.

400386[/snapback]

What scrimmage were you watching? Favre looked like crap minus the 3 plays in goal line. He threw 2 near picks and was saked like 12 times

What scrimmage were you watching? Favre looked like crap minus the 3 plays in goal line. He threw 2 near picks and was saked like 12 times

400489[/snapback]

That's exactly what I thought. JP didn't do as bad as Favre. What does this all mean? Absolutely nothing!

The competition started as soon as KH was signed. No matter what is said there is always competition. There are two reasons you would say its an open competition

1. You are losing confidence in the kid.

2. You think the kid needs motivation.

Neither of these seem to be true, so I think things are just fine the way they are. Holcombe has been in a huge qb battle with Couch, and I assume JP was an NFL observer then, so he knows KH is driven and could probably like to start again. Losman appers to be pretty motivated. Let it run it's course. One thing (of very few) where I will agrre with tonight's commentators...KH is a nice insurance policy for Buffalo

By the way, this post comes from a big Losman fan...

400300[/snapback]

Oh man, does this make the DB release seem like a bad thing now? :D

Dude, the past can't be changed and we have to live with that decision now. He's a ROOKIE! Did you really think he would somehow become the new Jim Kelly in one year? He has alot to learn in this league. The rest of the offense needs to pick him up and not make mistakes because he's going to. I believe he will help us down the road tho.

I was hoping we coulda kept Drew just for one more year becuz he could lead us into the playoffs. This is asking too much of a rookie, IMO. If we start out fast, we have a realistic shot at post season.

Duck! It was a frickin scrimmage. I wouldn't look bad in a scrimmage knowing I am not getting hit, can throw a football and know what color the Bills helmets are.

How STUPID do you think TD & MM are?

In the Lambeau Field locker room after the scrimmage:

TD: "We named Losman the starter in February, got him TONS of press coverage, watched a few plays in a scrimmage in early August and then tommorrow we'll announce an open competition for the starting spot. We'll just announce it's based on Holcomb going against GB's lousy 2nd string defense and Losman looking good but not Jim Kelly great in a controlled scrimmage. What do you think Mike?"

MM: "Yeah. that's a GREAT idea, Why not just wreck Losman's confidence for the rest of his career? Gee Tom, that's a really terrific idea. "

Losman is the starter no matter how he looks in scrimmages, practices & preseason games. No announcements will be made on any sort of QB competition. The mere suggestion is just STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

Yeah...Chad Brown told the press today he's having trouble learning the Pats defensive playbook...Have a nice season!

PTR

400477[/snapback]

But...but...but...they have monty beisel in there too! The guys so good on defense, even KC didnt want to keep him...

But...but...but...they have monty beisel in there too! The guys so good on defense, even KC didnt want to keep him...

Well, the Pats have done alright taking other teams' rejects. But when a guy like Brown admits to having trouble with the playbook, that's not good, and I'm sure Beisel isn't breezing through it either.