Anyone starting to think competition for the

I know, this is going to open a Greg-Williams-Man-Boobs sized can of worms, but doesn't it only make sense that when you have Kelly Holcomb on your team, you have open competition for the starting QB spot.

I will now duck to avoid the flames...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd be all for a competition, but jp was annointed the starter in february, so they'll have to go with him, no matter how well holcomb plays in the pre season. however, if holcomb outplays jp by a longshot, it will tighten the leash on jp's neck during the regular season.

Nah...not at this point. I agree with you it may not have been a bad idea to let Holcombe and Losman duke it out after we signed Holcombe, but at this point with Losman already deep into the starting role, there is no reason to yank him and kill any confidence he may have built from this scrimmage.

I would have been with you a couple of months ago when Bledose got released, but now...it wouldnt make much sense.

wow. Thanks for the two non-violent, thoughtful responses. I know I agree with you, and I know this is JUST A SCRIMMAGE, but man doesn't Holcomb just look so damn confident in there?

400310[/snapback]

he's also playing the backups of one of the worst defenses in the league.

I know, this is going to open a Greg-Williams-Man-Boobs sized can of worms, but doesn't it only make sense that when you have Kelly Holcomb on your team, you have open competition for the starting QB spot.

400297[/snapback]

NO.... JP looked ok against the 1st string, with heat coming & a couple sacks.

Holcomb also looked good with absoluely no pressure from the 3rd stringers.

wow. Thanks for the two non-violent, thoughtful responses. I know I agree with you, and I know this is JUST A SCRIMMAGE, but man doesn't Holcomb just look so damn confident in there?

400310[/snapback]

I wish I could see, I'm just judging from whate everyone is writing in the scrimmage post since I cant see the scrimmage.

He does seem to be meshing well, but Losman apparently looked pretty good to in his first official "debut" as well. Moved the ball, made a few overthrows, but looked to be in total control and never freaked out. Holcombe has oodles more experience that Losman does, so its not a surprise he could move the ball against Green Bay's second string. Losman went against the starters, and did well. Thats VERY promising for only a week into camp.

400297[/snapback]

Are you watching the scrimmage? What didn't you like about JP? Looked pretty damn good to me. Don't listen to dipsh-- Sterling Sharpe.

PTR

Bad idea, I think. They've named JP the starter and you don't yank it out from under him at this point for no reason. Now, if he's hideous in the next four games and Holcomb plays well, its a different story, but as long as Losman's development appears to be on track, it should be his job.

For the record, JP did a lot to make me believe that he can develop into, at the very least, a solid starting NFL QB. I was most impressed by his confidence and poise. If a QB has that, the rest can be taught.

Bad idea,  I think.  They've named JP the starter and you don't yank it out from under him at this point for no reason.  Now,  if he's hideous in the next four games and Holcomb plays well,  its a different story,  but as long as Losman's development appears to be on track,  it should be his job. 

For the record,  JP did a lot to make me believe that he can develop into,  at the very least,  a solid starting NFL QB.  I was most impressed by his confidence and poise.  If a QB has that,  the rest can be taught.

400329[/snapback]

I just had my Packers fan friend call me from Maine where he was watching the scrimmage, and he just told me "That JP is going to light the NFL on fire".

:D:devil::)

Looks like he made an impression.

I just had my Packers fan friend call me from Maine where he was watching the scrimmage, and he just told me "That JP is going to light the NFL on fire".

:D  :devil:  :)

400339[/snapback]

He made a very good impression on this Bills fan. I'm under no illusions that he's going to be perfect this year. He won't be. He's going to make mistakes, and its going to be ugly from time to time. But I'm feeling really good about what I saw tonight. I think we may have stolen a really good one.

Holcomb looked great, but so did Favre. Experienced QBs feast on these types of situations because they know that defenders can't touch them. Favre and Holcomb stood in the packet without any fear and looked great because of it. In real game situation Favre would've been sacked a couple of times (refs didn't whistle at least twice on Favre) and Holcomb wouldn't have the time and open receivers against the first stringers.

Just my opinion. Holcomb had plenty of time to become a starter with other teams and didn't. JP is a more talented Flutie, way more talented. Give him time.

:D  :devil:  :)

400339[/snapback]

then your friend needs glasses.jp looked very average.theres times he should have ran instead of throwing,and theres times he should have thrown instead of running. missed quite a few plays that could have resulted in big yards

then your friend needs glasses.jp looked very average.theres times he should have ran instead of throwing,and theres times he should have thrown instead of running. missed quite a few plays that could have resulted in big yards

400388[/snapback]

Oh here they come. Quick light the torches.... :D

400388[/snapback]

:D

Didnt take the Pats fans long to get a bit antsy...

How about letting Shane Matthews duke it out for QB... he was threading the needle all game long.

Im kidding. Losman's decision making is a little concerning in my opinion. Scrambles when he doesnt have to, doesnt scramble when he can get a touchdown. I kinda think he doesnt put enough zip on his pass... Its a hump hes going to have to get past.