Bills trying to get Eagles' Corey Simon!

Tolstoy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think he would be better than Pat Williams?  I know he was a premium tackle coming out of collage, but he also has the reputaiton of taking too many plays off.  All things being equal, if they were intent on spending money for a tackle, why wouldn't they throw it at Pat Williams, (from a continuity and chemistry perspective if anything...).

399167[/snapback]

No one and I mean no one would name Pat a franchise player as Philly did with Simon. There is simply no comparison between the value the market has placed on Simon and what the market has placed on Williams.

One can easily list a lot of upsides that Simon brings (balanced of course with the downsides of any human being) and the equation comes out better than listing the upsides for Phat Pat (a very good player and I'm sorry we couldn't resign him but he simply is not worth the bucks he asked us for to keep him) with an even longer list of PW shortcomings.

Comparing the two is simply the Bills get a player who almost certainly is excellent and potentially one of the best DTs in Simon or going for Williams who is certainly a good player and potentially very good.

If we get Simon there is a likelihood he is the best DT on this team due to Adams age. If PW stayed he certainly would not be the best DT on this team and if Edwards developed at the same rate a last year and Anderson like we wanthim PW may have been the 4th best DT on this team.

We need to find a Eagles message board and make a deal with the Eagle fans! :doh:

399098[/snapback]

While you're doing that, I'd like to make a deal with the Eagles cheerleaders.

As for the subject at hand...it's tempting, but I agree with those of us who would rather see LT and Clements sewed up.

No one and I mean no one would name Pat a franchise player as Philly did with Simon. There is simply no comparison between the value the market has placed on Simon and what the market has placed on Williams.

One can easily list a lot of upsides that Simon brings (balanced of course with the downsides of any human being) and the equation comes out better than listing the upsides for Phat Pat (a very good player and I'm sorry we couldn't resign him but he simply is not worth the bucks he asked us for to keep him) with an even longer list of PW shortcomings.

Comparing the two is simply the Bills get a player who almost certainly is excellent and potentially one of the best DTs in Simon or going for Williams who is certainly a good player and potentially very good.

If we get Simon there is a likelihood he is the best DT on this team due to Adams age.  If PW stayed he certainly would not be the best DT on this team and if Edwards developed at the same rate a last year and Anderson like we wanthim PW may have been the 4th best DT on this team.

399205[/snapback]

That being said, bringing in Simon is a major vote of no confidence for Edwards and to a lesser extent Anderson. I'd say, we bring in Simon, Edwards is gone. I can't see the guy wanting to be a backup for the rest of his career. I could be wrong. Some people are comfortable in such situations.

Making such a move (understanding that it's a very hypothetical one right now), while it may be good for the defense, might not be best for the team, if you know what I mean.

Sure. Let's meet out back with our trading cards and lingerie catalogue.

399222[/snapback]

I've got an Eagles cheerleader lingerie calendar if that counts...and i have all the photos from the calendar on my computer if anyone wants them :doh:

That being said, bringing in Simon is a major vote of no confidence for Edwards and to a lesser extent Anderson.  I'd say, we bring in Simon, Edwards is gone.  I can't see the guy wanting to be a backup for the rest of his career.  I could be wrong.  Some people are comfortable in such situations.

Making such a move (understanding that it's a very hypothetical one right now), while it may be good for the defense, might not be best for the team, if you know what I mean.

399209[/snapback]

Couldn't disagree more. One of the elements that made the mid-90's Cowboys so potent was the high level of talent and depth on their defensive line, allowing them to rotate linemen and keep them fresh, wearing down opposing o-lines. That's how you stuff the run and get to the QB. When it's nearing the end of the 3rd quarter and opposing O-line is getting tired, a fresh D line can create havoc and turnovers.

I think the Bills want to have the option to have this kind of D-line rotation.

Also....Adams and Edwards should be fine as a tandem. Anderson has potential the coaches seem to like, but he's effectively still a rookie and will be out-techniqued by experienced O-linemen. After Anderson, there's an even bigger drop in D-tackle depth. So what happens if Adams gets hurt and is out for an extended period? It could burst the bubble of the Bills defense, which is supposed to carry the team during Losman's first real exposure to playing with the big boys.

Bringing Simon in would also be a good move, looking forward past 2005. Adams is getting towards the end of his career and getting Simon now could allow the Bills to draft another need position in round 1 and not use it up on the D-tackle position.

Sounds like getting Simon would be a savvy move.

This could be the beginning of the end for Justin Bannan and Lauvale Sape!  :w00t:

Don't hold your breath. However, they've got to do SOMETHING with that Tennessee breasts 3rd rounder they got for whats-his-name.  :doh:

399069[/snapback]

no beginning...just the end!!

Couldn't disagree more. One of the elements that made the mid-90's Cowboys so potent was the high level of talent and depth on their defensive line, allowing them to rotate linemen and keep them fresh, wearing down opposing o-lines. That's how you stuff the run and get to the QB. When it's nearing the end of the 3rd quarter and opposing O-line is getting tired, a fresh D line can create havoc and turnovers.

I think the Bills want to have the option to have this kind of D-line rotation.

Also....Adams and Edwards should be fine as a tandem. Anderson has potential the coaches seem to like, but he's effectively still a rookie and will be out-techniqued by experienced O-linemen. After Anderson, there's an even bigger drop in D-tackle depth. So what happens if Adams gets hurt and is out for an extended period? It could burst the bubble of the Bills defense, which is supposed to carry the team during Losman's first real exposure to playing with the big boys.

Bringing Simon in would also be a good move, looking forward past 2005. Adams is getting towards the end of his career and getting Simon now could allow the Bills to draft another need position in round 1 and not use it up on the D-tackle position.

Sounds like getting Simon would be a savvy move.

399260[/snapback]

Also, you cant speak enough about depth. Realistically, we are one potential injury away from having adams and anderson as our starting DT's with no real solid backup...Not only would simon bolster our d-line, it would help out in that anderson/and edwards could be rotated through, keeping sam and simon fresh...

Also, you cant speak enough about depth. Realistically, we are one potential injury away from having adams and anderson as our starting DT's with no real solid backup...Not only would simon bolster our d-line, it would help out in that anderson/and edwards could be rotated through, keeping sam and simon fresh...

399263[/snapback]

Ramius, the depth question is a problem at most positions for all NFL teams. If WM goes down, the options are Burns, Williams or Gates.

The Bills must be dissatisfied with their D-line if they are going after Corey Simon.  It would be a good pick-up for an already very good defense.

Link:http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112322928129970.xml&coll=5

399066[/snapback]

they dont have to be dissatisfied to go after a probowl player.

I don't know if it is indicative of his play, but Simon's total tackle stats have gone down since his rookie year.  If the Bills had to make a choice of using the money for a long term contract on Clements or signing a player who is DISGRUNTLED with his current team, I say invest in NC!!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187398

399086[/snapback]

That is a lot of sacks for a DT.