Attention North Carolina beer drinkers

HB392 passed the Senate yesterday! This bill lifts the previous 6% abv limit on beer brewed or sold in North Carolina. The new limit is 15% abv. Unless it's vetoed by Gov. Easley, which is unlikely, we will soon be able to enjoy the world class beers that those in 44 other states already can.

Story here:

Stronger Beer Is Here

The only states that now have a similar archaic law that limits consumer choice are:

Mississippi

South Carolina

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

HB392 passed the Senate yesterday!  This bill lifts the previous 6% abv limit on beer brewed or sold in North Carolina.  The new limit is 15% abv.  Unless it's vetoed by Gov. Easley, which is unlikely, we will soon be able to enjoy the world class beers that those in 44 other states already can. 

Story here:

Stronger Beer Is Here 

The only states that now have a similar archaic law that limits consumer choice are:

Mississippi

South Carolina

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

398141[/snapback]

Now you can enjoy a bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA while watching the Bills this season, without having to drive to a different state to buy one. :lol:

That's goods news for the folks in NC. Now if only New York would legalize wine and spirit sales in supermarkets.

HB392 passed the Senate yesterday!  This bill lifts the previous 6% abv limit on beer brewed or sold in North Carolina.  The new limit is 15% abv.  Unless it's vetoed by Gov. Easley, which is unlikely, we will soon be able to enjoy the world class beers that those in 44 other states already can. 

Story here:

Stronger Beer Is Here 

Mississippi

South Carolina

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

398141[/snapback]

:lol: I wonder how much campaign cash was forked over for that bill to pass...

Story here:

Stronger Beer Is Here 

Mississippi

South Carolina

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

398141[/snapback]

Thats good news! Shouldnt Utah be on that list?

Thats good news!  Shouldnt Utah be on that list?

398159[/snapback]

Utah is actually kind of messed up. You can actually drink all you want in Utah, but if you go to a bar, you have to become a member and actually sign up...I kid you not. You can actually avoid the membership if...and please stay with me on this one...someone in the bar who is already a member says that they will sponsor you.

In the rest of the free world, alcoholics require a sponsor to help them STOP drinking, but in Utah you actually need one to START drinking.

And yet they're still ahead of North Carolina in many respects. Go figure.

Utah is actually kind of messed up. You can actually drink all you want in Utah, but if you go to a bar, you have to become a member and actually sign up...I kid you not. You can actually avoid the membership if...and please stay with me on this one...someone in the bar who is already a member says that they will sponsor you.

398248[/snapback]

They do have this in NC - if you don't serve food it must be a 'members only' club. I was just going to reply to the original post how this is the next thing they need to get rid of.

Thats good news!  Shouldnt Utah be on that list?

398159[/snapback]

Well, that depends. I don't think so, but that just goes to show you how freakishly complicated our liquor laws are here. I've lived here 8 years and I still don't fully understand them.

Anyway, here is the simple explanation: beer is sold in supermarkets and in bars and restaurants, but it's 3.2% EtOH maximum (even that is unclear, since local breweries -- yes, we have some excellent ones -- sell their stuff in markets and it clearly states 4% on the bottles).

If you want the real stuff, you have to go to a state liquor store, or a bar/restaurant that requires a paid membership. Then you can pretty much get whatever you want. There is an excellent bar here in town that offers something like 150 different beers from across the globe, including some with hefty EtOH contents. Having to go to a state liquor store is sometimes a pain, but it's not as much of a rip-off as I would have thought...most wines and spirits are very inexpensive, even at these places.

There are also bars/restaurants where you can get the real stuff without needing a membership, but it's not entirely clear to me why. I think it has to do with the percentage of their sales from food; if it's above a certain percentage, then they can offer whatever they want. If their sales are primarily from alcohol, then you need a membership. Or something along those lines.

As complicated as it sounds, it's really not that bad. And I must say, in the 8 years that I've been here, the access to EtOH has definitely become easier. Probably can thank the Olympics for that.

398248[/snapback]

Actually, that's not entirely correct...in order to get a membership, there needs to be a person at the bar who is already a member who will "sponsor" you. So, in other words, the law technically says you can't just walk in off the street and buy a membership, you need to "know" someone who is already a member before you can buy a membership.

Of course, nobody follows that law.

The only way to avoid paying the membership is to go to the bar with someone who is already a member, then they can get in whoever they want for nothing.

In the rest of the free world, alcoholics require a sponsor to help them STOP drinking, but in Utah you actually need one to START drinking.

And yet they're still ahead of North Carolina in many respects. Go figure.

398248[/snapback]

I know, I was in Park City just prior to the Olympics. I have a brother that lives out there, so I learned that first hand. Wild!

He's really easy to identify, he doesn't look like the rest of them there. All the people I saw there looked like brothers and sisters. Freaky.

398248[/snapback]

There are counties in Texas like that too. I was in Tyler for a few days once and it was ungodly hot. I dropped into one of the local watering holes for some lunch and ordered a Dos Equis to go with my food. The waitress asked me if I was the member of "insert name here" club. I asked her WTF she was talking about and if I got a discount or something if I were a member.

She politely (Texas gals are like that) explained that it was a damp county and that the only way to get served was to be a member of club "whatever the fug." I asked how one became a member of club "whatever the fug" and she handed me an application. I started to pull out my ID and she said they didn't verify applications.

I spent a week drinking as "Juan Ishmael Valdez" of Walla Walla, Columbia. I got some raised eyebrows when I flashed my cards but never once got denied. Oh, and the two largest liquor stores in the state of Texas were apparently at either end of the county (though that could be local lore).

The DWI industry must be elated. A local guy, on his third offense, just got a lousy 1-3 years for running down a girl scout who was selling cookies. He actually ran into a crowd of girl scouts who were out selling cookies together but most were able to scramble out of his way except for the one victim. In one year he will be out driving again and, no doubt, drinking as well.

People think we have gotten tough on drunk drivers when the truth is, we haven't. The effect of the way the laws are written in most states and how, in practice, they are enforced by district attorneys, each drunk gets one free kill before he or she is likely to face any serious jail time. Now the next time this guy kills a girl scout he will really be in trouble.

I have a file cabinet with 5 cases inside, all drunk driving accidents, involving 7 fatalities. Every one of them "just had a few beers".

Pleeeeeez, if you have had "just a few beers", don't try and guess as to whether you are over or under the legal limit, that isn't the point. Just do not drive.

Okay, this ends my PSA, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

The DWI industry must be elated.  A local guy, on his third offense, just got a lousy 1-3 years for running down a girl scout who was selling cookies.  He actually ran into a crowd of girl scouts who were out selling cookies together but most were able to scramble out of his way except for the one victim.  In one year he will be out driving again and, no doubt, drinking as well.

People think we have gotten tough on drunk drivers when the truth is, we haven't.  The effect of the way the laws are written in most states and how, in practice, they are enforced by district attorneys, each drunk gets one free kill before he or she is likely to face any serious jail time.  Now the next time this guy kills a girl scout he will really be in trouble.

I have a file cabinet with 5 cases inside, all drunk driving accidents, involving 7 fatalities.  Every one of them "just had a few beers".

Pleeeeeez, if you have had "just a few beers", don't try and guess as to whether you are over or under the legal limit, that isn't the point.  Just do not drive.

398382[/snapback]

Mickey, you clearly come packaged with one free dose of buzzkkill.

Mississippi

South Carolina

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

398141[/snapback]

That is one heck of a lineup there. I bet you NC folk are glad to be out of that grouping. If those states were a Jeopardy question, my answer would be, "What are states 46-50 in adult literacy rates, Alex?"

Ooh!  Run out and buy a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve the first day and grill up a juicy steak.  9% ALC!

398322[/snapback]

Pabst Blue Ribbon is 5%. If I drink two ice cold PBRs, that's like 10% alcohol, man. If I drink all six, that's like....whoa!! That's totally awesome!!!!

The DWI industry must be elated.  A local guy, on his third offense, just got a lousy 1-3 years for running down a girl scout who was selling cookies.  He actually ran into a crowd of girl scouts who were out selling cookies together but most were able to scramble out of his way except for the one victim.  In one year he will be out driving again and, no doubt, drinking as well.

People think we have gotten tough on drunk drivers when the truth is, we haven't.  The effect of the way the laws are written in most states and how, in practice, they are enforced by district attorneys, each drunk gets one free kill before he or she is likely to face any serious jail time.  Now the next time this guy kills a girl scout he will really be in trouble.

I have a file cabinet with 5 cases inside, all drunk driving accidents, involving 7 fatalities.  Every one of them "just had a few beers".

Pleeeeeez, if you have had "just a few beers", don't try and guess as to whether you are over or under the legal limit, that isn't the point.  Just do not drive.

398382[/snapback]

Endeavor to make the substance illegal. That's the final solution.

If there is one thing that annoys me more than some stud talking about how many beers he drank, its some stud talking about the alcohol level of his beer.

Boys count em, men drink em.

398340[/snapback]

i always loose count after 3 or so. so the only way i know how many ive had is when i go to get another beer from a 6 or 12 pack, and there are none left. :blink:

Endeavor to make the substance illegal. That's the final solution.

398414[/snapback]

that will NOT happen. if anything POT will be legalized befor alcohol is illegalized.

and even that will not stop people from making it and drinking it.

Aw, we don't want to drink and drive.  There's just no other way to get our car back to our house.  How're we supposed to get home, man?

398401[/snapback]

hell, honestly, ive driven a few times when ive had a few drinks.

a stupid thing to do, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

that will NOT happen. if anything POT will be legalized befor alcohol is illegalized.

and even that will not stop people from making it and drinking it.

398420[/snapback]

Indeed. As well at the tax $$$. A bit off subject, but here in Ohio, cigarette tax is the 3rd-leading source of revenue for the State.

Despite their sanctimonious blathering, no State is about to champion the health of the citizenry at the risk of losing a fat revenue stream, be it booze or cigs...the best outcome from the State's viewpoint is early death before pension or social security or medicare money gets tapped. :blink:

Aw, we don't want to drink and drive.  There's just no other way to get our car back to our house.  How're we supposed to get home, man?

398401[/snapback]

In the words of David Lee Roth, "You find girls that are too young to drink and make them drive."

i always loose count after 3 or so. so the only way i know how many ive had is when i go to get another beer from a 6 or 12 pack, and there are none left.  :P

398417[/snapback]

I know, I know...I have learned through the years to never crush the cans or drain the bottles in the sink - I can usually get a prized 6 or 8 ounces out of the dregs. :blink:

Georgia and Ohio lifted their caps in recent years and have reported decreases in alcohol related accidents since doing so. MADD was neutral regarding this law change. The statistics simply don't back up the theory that alcohol related accidents will increase with the passage of this law.

Also, you aren't going to be able to find these beers at the local Food Lion or corner Quick-Mart. Those who enjoy these types of beers will know that you'll have to go to a gourmet food store or the like to find them.

Here is a pop the cap flyer that cites some of the above statistics along with highlighting some of the other outrageous claims made by the opposition. My favorite is the senator that pulled out the race card. :blink:

Ooh!  Run out and buy a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve the first day and grill up a juicy steak.  9% ALC!

398322[/snapback]

Hopefully by the end of the month I can do just that! I was saving a bottle of Maredsous 8 (a Belgian beer similar to Chimay Red) to enjoy when this law passed. I drank it last night in celebration.

Hopefully by the end of the month I can do just that!  I was saving a bottle of Maredsous 8 (a Belgian beer similar to Chimay Red) to enjoy when this law passed.  I drank it last night in celebration.

398477[/snapback]

Why do you have to wait to drink it? The law just prevented sale I import my good beer everytime I head up north along with my booze from Canadian Duty Free

I spent a week drinking as "Juan Ishmael Valdez" of Walla Walla, Columbia.  I got some raised eyebrows when I flashed my cards but never once got denied.  Oh, and the two largest liquor stores in the state of Texas were apparently at either end of the county (though that could be local lore).

398337[/snapback]

:) Jesus I just laughed pretty hard.

Georgia and Ohio lifted their caps in recent years and have reported decreases in alcohol related accidents since doing so.  MADD was neutral regarding this law change.  The statistics simply don't back up the theory that alcohol related accidents will increase with the passage of this law.

398467[/snapback]

I think the reported numbers of alcohol-related naps will increase, however.

Why do you have to wait to drink it?    The law just prevented sale I import my good beer everytime I head up north along with my booze from Canadian Duty Free

398715[/snapback]

i like to stop, at the duty free shop....i like to stop, at the duty free shop...

I used to live in S.L.C.(400south/200East up by the 'U') and we used to do the 90 mile (each way) road trip to Wyoming to get 'real' beer...

398740[/snapback]

Cool...I'm up at the 'U' even as we speak.

Why do you have to wait to drink it?    The law just prevented sale I import my good beer everytime I head up north along with my booze from Canadian Duty Free

398715[/snapback]

I didn't have to wait. I always stocked up on the beer styles you couldn't buy here whenever I traveled out of state. I just saved this particular one for when the "pop the cap" bill finally passed. The previous law also didn't prevent homebrewers from brewing their own higher alcohol beers. I have brewed Belgian strong ales, dopplebocks and imperial IPA's before, all of which are in the 7-9% range.

Well, that depends. I don't think so, but that just goes to show you how freakishly complicated our liquor laws are here. I've lived here 8 years and I still don't fully understand them.

I used to live in S.L.C.(400south/200East up by the 'U') and we used to do the 90 mile (each way) road trip to Wyoming to get 'real' beer...

398740[/snapback]

I was in Park City once and the 3.2 beer got me pretty lit because of the altitude (if I remember it was about 7000ft). Got really sloshed when I was in Keystone, CO at over 9000 ft with real beer.