just give it to them

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the game at Foxboro where the refs bent us over in stunning fashion.

1.) The Pats had the ball driving for the go-ahead TD in the last minute of the 4th quarter. They called David Patten's reception on 4th and 11 a legal catch even though neither of his feet landed in bounds (some say one did, but my memory stands with zero).

2.) Not only was he NOT in bounds, he was not across the 1st down marker. Still he was awarded with a catch and a 1st down.

3.) Later in the drive with the last few seconds ticking down, Bledsoe (pats) heaves a hailmary to the left-front corner of the endzone. Terry Glenn biffs the catch and the refs call Henry Jones (I believe) for PI. Not only was there mutal contact, Thomas Smith was practically being held in a full-nelson right near the play by another Pats WR. Regardless, PI was called and the Pats got a 1st and goal from the 1.

They went on to score on a loft pass to the TE (Marlo Perry covering I believe) and the Wade was so pissed, he would not even let the team take the field for the XP. So the pats got a 2pt conversion.

The significance of the loss was that it gave Miami a tie-breaker on us and forced us to play our first round game at Pro Player stadium where it was about 600 degrees.

We lose by a TD in one of the next most significant screw jobs the refs have given us.

It was the game at Foxboro where the refs bent us over in stunning fashion.

1.) The Pats had the ball driving for the go-ahead TD in the last minute of the 4th quarter. They called David Patten's reception on 4th and 11 a legal catch even though neither of his feet landed in bounds (some say one did, but my memory stands with zero).

2.) Not only was he NOT in bounds, he was not across the 1st down marker. Still he was awarded with a catch and a 1st down.

3.) Later in the drive with the last few seconds ticking down, Bledsoe (pats) heaves a hailmary to the left-front corner of the endzone. Terry Glenn biffs the catch and the refs call Henry Jones (I believe) for PI. Not only was there mutal contact, Thomas Smith was practically being held in a full-nelson right near the play by another Pats WR. Regardless, PI was called and the Pats got a 1st and goal from the 1.

They went on to score on a loft pass to the TE (Marlo Perry covering I believe) and the Wade was so pissed, he would not even let the team take the field for the XP. So the pats got a 2pt conversion.

The significance of the loss was that it gave Miami a tie-breaker on us and forced us to play our first round game at Pro Player stadium where is was about 600 degrees.

We lose by a TD in one of the next most significant screw jobs the refs have given us.

395579[/snapback]

Yep. That about covers it. And, run by our favorite ref, too.

Being a new poster and all maybe someone could explain what the "just give it to them" game I always here about? I know which game it was. Against the Pats a few years ago right? but why do we call it the just give it to them game?

395556[/snapback]

Shawn Jefferson caught a pass out of bounds and short of the marker on a 4th and 11 and the one of the refs was overheard to say "just give it to them" when the refs quickly conferred about the controversial play. Non-conversion of that 4th down would have sealed the victory for Buffalo.

Shawn Jefferson caught a pass out of bounds and short of the marker on a 4th and 11 and the one of the refs was overheard to say "just give it to them" when the refs quickly conferred about the controversial play.  Non-conversion of that 4th down would have sealed the victory for Buffalo.

395588[/snapback]

Jefferson!! I thought Patten was wrong but I couldn't think of the name.

Great recap there, Bart at ND!

The "Just Give it to them" stemmed from that bogus "catch" made by Patten. The refs were in disagreement about whether or not it had been a true catch -- and, if so, whether Patten had crossed the first down marker. When the refs couldn't decide, one of them told the other, "Just give it to them!"

The non-reception took place on the Bills' sideline, and several Bills players overheard the converstaion between the refs. Ralph was later fined by the league for citing the exchange. (It is still a mystery as to whether or not he ever paid the fine.) Also, this game (along with the infamous Jets/Seattle one) were the harbingers for the return of instant replay.

Correct me if Im wrong...but a few weeks later when the Bills lost at home to the Jets....when Flutie got picked off late in that game...I was convinced the INT was a bad call and it hit the ground before it was caught...

Also dont forget...Vinny's phantom TD as well cost the Bills the division I believe, if you factor that in and the Just Give it to Em game...I belive the Bills would have been a 2 seed like the Jets were.

In the locker room, Doug Flutie said to the reporters something to the effect of "You wanna know what happened? I'll tell you. The 2nd ref on the scene came over and said, 'I don't know... just give it to 'em.' That's what happened."

Later it came out that the head of NFL officials, Jerry Markbreit (IIRC) dressed the crew down saying, "Gentlemen, this cannot happen."

The refs in "Victory" had more credibility. My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

Jefferson!! I thought Patten was wrong but I couldn't think of the name.

395592[/snapback]

I think Patten was the guy who was lying unconscious with a leg out of bounds in the 2001 game at Buffalo. Buffalo recovered the ball, but it was overturned as the refs ruled Patten was touching the ball while out of bounds, thus making it a dead ball. That was relatively controversial as well.

I think Patten was the guy who was lying unconscious with a leg out of bounds in the 2001 game at Buffalo.  Buffalo recovered the ball, but it was overturned as the refs ruled Patten was touching the ball while out of bounds, thus making it a dead ball.  That was relatively controversial as well.

395629[/snapback]

And didn't Twain, in his first year as a Patriot, take the next play 30+ yeards to set up the game winning FG?

The last game I went to...it was nice because the tickets were cheap and I got to sit right in front of my in-laws (that season, last game was "Pick-a-seat" Sunday :doh: ).

SI ran the article about the head of the refs, telling them that there was no pass interference and they had to do better. I know someone mentioned Flutie above, but I also remember Andre Reed after the game saying he heard the refs discussion on the out of bounds pass and the refs were confering and confused and one of them said just give it to them. I must be getting old because I thought Coates caught the touchdown.

That game wasn't as big as a post season afair, but it left me about as upset as losing one. Pretty depressing thread, maybe next someone will ask what wide-right means too..

This comes up for me alot at work - in Las Vegas, most certainly not Bills country.

My good friend from work always rags on me about the Bills, you know the 4 super bowls, etc etc. Heard it a thousand times. One day a while ago we were talking about it at lunch - really all we talk about is sports - and I brought up how we repeatedly get screwed by refs, referencing the Just Give it to Em game. He immediately gets pissed, but for a different reason than all of us. Being in Las Vegas, he had a few big bets placed that day on the nfl games. The last one was the Bills-NE game. He's watching it end, as we all were, and the whole mess transpires as has been covered before. Then he watches the 2 point conversion-walk in as Wade and the troops left the field. TUrns out the 2 point conv costs him on a big bet, as the Pats either covered or beat the spread (probably beat the spread) w/ the 2 pointer and would have pushed w/ the extra point. A Raiders fan, he said that's bad for him, but not as bad as the tuck rule, which I bring up often as further evidence of the NFL's BS. Gets us both worked up. Quite a productive way to spend the lunch break.

Maybe the worst thing about it was that the guy who said, "Just give it to them" sprinted in from 40 yards downfield. The thing was on the front page of the USA Today the next day. The front page of the whole paper, showing the receiver coming down, his feet were in the air a foot above the sideline.

Then they called interference on the Hail Mary...I've never seen that call before or since. When the Pats scored, Wade pulled the team off the field and Bledsoe sneaked in for 2 points against nobody.

My wife had come in from shopping when the thing happened, and I was kneeling in front of the t.v. screaming, "THEY STOLE THE F@@@ING GAME!" She says I have Football Tourrette's Syndrome, but this was the worst she'd ever seen.