just give it to them

You won't catch me trying to explain away the "just give it to 'em" game. You guys got jobbed.

The Patten unconscious play and the tuck call were by the books, though. Weird rules, yes (although the unconscious one makes sense if you really think about it), but the correct calls were made. And as was mentioned, the refs missed Woodsen's headslap on the tuck play.

But "just give it to 'em" was a joke, plain and simple.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't catch me trying to explain away the "just give it to 'em" game.  You guys got jobbed.

The Patten unconscious play and the tuck call were by the books, though.  Weird rules, yes (although the unconscious one makes sense if you really think about it), but the correct calls were made.  And as was mentioned, the refs missed Woodsen's headslap on the tuck play.

397034[/snapback]

Again, I appreciate the honesty about that. The other calls were, to me, a bit more cut and dried, but that PI in the end zone and the Jefferson non catch before it were just plain bull****.

You won't catch me trying to explain away the "just give it to 'em" game.  You guys got jobbed.

The Patten unconscious play and the tuck call were by the books, though.  Weird rules, yes (although the unconscious one makes sense if you really think about it), but the correct calls were made.  And as was mentioned, the refs missed Woodsen's headslap on the tuck play.

397034[/snapback]

If the tuck play was by the book, how come that's the only time they've ever called it that way?

I like Wade Phillips as a Defensive coordinator but think he sucks as a head coach, but I give him much respect for pulling the team off after that anal rape by the refs. Football isn't played for gamblers and points spreads, no matter how much of that is going on, it's played to win games. The refs did such a horrific job of officiating down the stretch that it took a bold statement of protest by the jobbed coach to help mark it permanently in the minds of every one who witnessed it. Even Ralph Wilson later went off on the officiating and received a $50,000 fine. Instant replay came back the next season and I firmly believe that game is a big reason why.

Because it's not.  I saw it called exactly the same way on Kurt Warner against the Bucs in '02, and on Tim Couch against the Pats in '03.

397075[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that you never saw it called that way until after it was called for Brady in the Raiders game?

Because it's not.  I saw it called exactly the same way on Kurt Warner against the Bucs in '02, and on Tim Couch against the Pats in '03.

397075[/snapback]

Agree, remember them mentioning the similarity on sportscenter.

Also agree the tuck rule is moot anyway, there was clearly illegal hands to the face/helmet by a Raider defender right before it happened.

397034[/snapback]

I have a hard time with this rule and I'll tell ya why. Lets say I fumble and roll out of bounds in the process, while the ball lays next to sideline. While out of bounds, if I can get my pinkie on the ball, by definition the play is dead. lJust doesn't seem right to me.

Also, does this rule imply that a gunner on the punt team can go down out of bounds, stay out of bounds, and down a punt that is still in the field of play and not get a penalty because he never came back in?

I like Wade Phillips as a Defensive coordinator but think he sucks as a head coach, but I give him much respect for pulling the team off after that anal rape by the refs. Football isn't played for gamblerss and points spreads, no matter who much of that is going on, it's played to win games. The refs did such a horrific job of officiating down the stretch that it took a bold statement of protest by the jobbed coach to help mark it permanently in the minds of every one who witnessed it. Even Ralph Wilson later went off on the officiating and received a $50,000 fine. Instant replay came back the next season and I firmly believe that game is a big reason why.

397069[/snapback]

Fantastic post.

You're 100% right about Wade. The man knew how to make a statement, even IF he couldn't seem to pick a QB. While I thought he was something of a bungler at the time, a salient point about Wade's career sticks out:

1) Wade had a winning record as a head coach. Other than Mularkey, we haven't had a winner at head coach since. And It's kind of unfair to put Mularkey in the convo until he has 2 or more years of coaching, IMO.

Also, does this rule imply that a gunner on the punt team can go down out of bounds, stay out of bounds, and down a punt that is still in the field of play and not get a penalty because he never came back in?

397087[/snapback]

I didn't think that rule had anything to do with "coming back in". I thought it says that a player who goes out of bounds cannot be the first person to touch the ball after a punt.

Fantastic post.

You're 100% right about Wade. The man knew how to make a statement, even IF he couldn't seem to pick a QB. While I thought he was something of a bungler at the time, a salient point about Wade's career sticks out:

1) Wade had a winning record as a head coach. Other than Mularkey, we haven't had a winner at head coach since. And It's kind of unfair to put Mularkey in the convo until he has 2 or more years of coaching, IMO.

397089[/snapback]

What was Wade's record as head coach when Flutie wasn't the QB? Remember Wade saying when they traded for RJ that it was the start of the "Phillips-Johnson Era" to replace the "Levy-Kelly Era"? I'm not saying Wade shouldn't get any credit for wins with Flutie because the defense was still pretty damn good and Wade is a defense guy, but I think a true indication of his head coaching career in Buffalo comes from his W-L record with his brittle-boy QB.

So what you're saying is that you never saw it called that way until after it was called for Brady in the Raiders game?

I remember knowing of the rule (but not its name) while they reviewed the play. While watching the replays, I was looking for whether or not Brady brought the ball into his body. So I must have seen it somewhere to know about it.

Look, the REAL point is that if the refs wanted to help the Pats, they wouldn't have called up some obscure rule that simply gave the offense another down to work with; they would've THROWN THE FLAG ON WOODSON'S HEADSLAP AND GIVE THE PATS 15 YARDS AND A 1ST DOWN. Sorry to yell, but that's a very important point.

What was Wade's record as head coach when Flutie wasn't the QB? Remember Wade saying when they traded for RJ that it was the start of the "Phillips-Johnson Era" to replace the "Levy-Kelly Era"? I'm not saying Wade shouldn't get any credit for wins with Flutie because the defense was still pretty damn good and Wade is a defense guy, but I think a true indication of his head coaching career in Buffalo comes from his W-L record with his brittle-boy QB.

397102[/snapback]

I'd ahve to look that up, and seeing as I'm completely lazy to the point of utter uselessness...

:blink:

Fantastic post.

397089[/snapback]

You make it sound like we've had 5 losing head coaches trounce through here since Wade... :blink:

You make it sound like we've had 5 losing head coaches trounce through here since Wade...  :blink:

397141[/snapback]

It's been a LONG time since the Bills MADE the playoffs even.

Even longer since they've won in the playoffs.

And even the most die-hard Bills fan has to admit, it's going to be an uphill climb this year at best.