URGENT Medical Advice needed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't you take advantage of your internet connectivty and notify fox news of your emergency. Then they could have sent for some help and get an exclusive breaking news story all bundled together. Maybe next time you should invest in a satellite phone instead.

About the only advice you are going to get here is how to boil noodles, mix them in with scrambled eggs and sprinkle them with pickle juice. When crunchy....Aborto de Retatta.

Then again, who knows, maybe the retatta would be a good cure for snake bites. :doh:

Well, I would say that if this is for real and your friend already has kitty welts and red rimmed eyes, it's already too late for any medical advice besides "Get him to a hospital as fast as you can."

When a snake bite does occur, a suctioning device, as simple as a suction cup applied to the affected area is the first thing you should do. Years ago it was recommended that you make an "X" cut across the puncture wounds. Later it was decided that the "X" wasn't necessary, doing mor harm than good because you ended up cutting across muscle tissue. Instead you were instructed to make a single cut with the grain of the muscle. It may well be that no cut is recommended now. I would expect that it would be recommended that the victim be kept still, as has been recommended already. This is to avoid increasing blood flow, which would transport the poison through the body. I would expect you also want to keep the affected limb as low as possible, again to restrict blood flow from that limb. If you have to transport the victim, I wouldn't hesitate to use a tourniquet. Ultimately, your goal is to keep the poison from reaching the heart. while you get him/her to medical help.

It's possible to survive some bites without medical treatment, but I would suspect that when you were able to get the internet connection it was already too late to do any of the above beyond getting help.

"flora in adirondack mountains"

Not sure if this has been mentioned before... Are there poisonous snakes in the ADKS?

??

The only venomous snakes I can think of is the massasauga, copperhead, timber rattlesnake. I take these are very, VERY uncommon as far north as the ADK?

Let the man die... Then go play the lottery... It is obvious a sign of luck that something this rare (snake bite by a venomous snake in northern New York) has happened!

:doh:

we are 70 or so miles from the nearest civilization

flora in adirondack mountains

395400[/snapback]

Unless you've found yourself a hidden time-warp sewer pipe, its time you got yourself a better map. There is no place in the continental US further than 70 miles from civilization, let alone in the 'dacks.