Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

Wow, Jason Woolley is available.  :D

I wouldn't mind Rafalski, but you're right, not much there.

Gotta remember though, us Sabre fans are used to Darcy consistently dragging his feet and ending up with the likes of Greer, Heinze, Brown, Jillson, ya know the mediocore guys.

396457[/snapback]

Andre Trefilov is available as well as Brad May. But just looked at tsn.ca and they have a much more complete list. What was I thinking going to ESPN and expecting accuracy.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre Trefilov is available as well as Brad May. But just looked at tsn.ca and they have a much more complete list. What was I thinking going to ESPN and expecting accuracy.

396460[/snapback]

:D

Brad May was great in his day, but Florida would probably be a better fit for him with his age and all.

Sabres need to do SOMETHING other than let guys go. Far as I know, they have a bare minimum of $3.8 million to spend after letting Satan go and the owner is a billionaire. $4 million for a top line defensemen is very do-able. Trade Biron or Norronen and there is almost $6 million available. Throw in the $4 million they saved by letting Zhitnik go and there is $10 million available and the Sabres would still be well under the cap.

Small market teams are signing guys- except the Sabres. Everybody that signed so far will help their team.

NHL News: Boston signed Mike Modano, Shawn McEachern and Glen Murray. Atlanta signed Bobby Holik, Pittsburgh is about to get Alexi Kovalev and offered Brian Rafalski a 4 year deal.

Sabres need to do SOMETHING other than let guys go.  Far as I know, they have a bare minimum of $3.8 million to spend after letting Satan go and the owner is a billionaire. $4 million for a top line defensemen is very do-able. Trade Biron or Norronen and there is almost $6 million available. Throw in the $4 million they saved by letting Zhitnik go and there is $10 million available and the Sabres would still be well under the cap.

Small market teams are signing guys- except the Sabres. Everybody that signed so far will help their team.

NHL News: Boston signed Mike Modano, Shawn McEachern and Glen Murray. Atlanta signed Bobby Holik, Pittsburgh is about to get Alexi Kovalev and offered Brian Rafalski a 4 year deal.

396477[/snapback]

From what i have seen, most of the big name defensemen have been getting about 4 mil per season..as you said, with satan gone, to me it appears that we have 4 mil available, no?

Small market teams are signing guys- except the Sabres.

396477[/snapback]

Old, slow or expensive guys you mean. :D

Other than Aucoin, none of the guys that signed today were on the Sabres radar / wish list. Let's see what happens by Friday before we start calling Darcy the grandson of Satan.

Sad sign of the times: the ESPN.com button for the NHL is below the ones for golf and tennis. :D

I may be a Habs fan, but I've probably seen just about as many Sabres games as most of you the last few years (R.I.P., Empire. :lol: ), so I feel somewhat qualified to open my yap on the subject. This outsider's fact-free opinions:

Satan = floater of the first magnitude. Guy's got skills, sure, when he decides to show up. I hear Gainey's looking at him for Montreal. Cue that old Bruce Smith soundbite.... "I'm overwhelmed with joy." :D

Zhitnik - you're probably better off with him than without him, but isn't he the same guy Ann Burke once dubbed "Cementhead" when he managed to get himself suspended during a playoff series? (That nickname always made me chuckle.)

There's a lot to like about your team. Vanek is the real deal, and so is Roy. Briere should inherit the C - should have kept it in the first place, instead of the "Captain of the Month" deal they had going in 03-04. And I've always liked Drury. Use Satan's $$$ to get somebody like Sergei Gonchar? Stop spinning the Wheel O' Goalies? Playoff hockey returns to HSBC Arena in April 2006.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get MSG down here.

Everybody just take a chill. Flyers took a big risk with Hatcher, Therian sucks. Modano is like 36 yrs old, and the guys who signed yesterday were 38 and 39.

Only signings that were big in my mind were Foote and Aucoin. Please take a look at the unrestricted list, not as impressive as everybody thinks.

Here are the unrestricteds

The most liberal of all groups. A Group III free agent is unrestricted and may sign with any team.

Qualifying age/experience: Players at least 31 years old as of June 30 with at least four years of NHL experience.

ANAHEIM

None

ATLANTA

Shawn McEachern

BOSTON

Sergei Gonchar, Martin Lapointe

BUFFALO

None

CALGARY

Martin Gelinas, Andrei Trefilov

CAROLINA

Glen Wesley

CHICAGO

Steve Poapst

COLORADO

Vincent Damphousse, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg, Darby Hendrickson

COLUMBUS

Arturs Irbe, Jaroslav Spacek

DALLAS

Rob DiMaio, Mike Modano, Don Sweeney, Patrick Traverse, Sergei Zubov

DETROIT

Curtis Joseph, Stacy Roest, Jason Woolley, Steve Yzerman

EDMONTON

Igor Ulano

FLORIDA

None

LOS ANGELES

Roman Cechmanek, Stephane Quintal, Luc Robitaille, Martin Straka

MINNESOTA

Andrew Brunette

MONTREAL

Patrice Brisebois, Karl Dykhuis

NASHVILLE

Tony Hrkac, Greg Johnson, Jim McKenzie

NEW JERSEY

Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens

N.Y. ISLANDERS

Adrian Aucoin, Jim Campbell, Roman Hamrlik

N.Y. RANGERS

Mike Dunham, Jason Marshall

OTTAWA

None

PHILADELPHIA

Sean Burke, Claude Lapointe, Marcus Ragnarsson, John Slaney

PHOENIX

Andrei Nazarov

PITTSBURGH

Mike Eastwood

ST. LOUIS

Alexander Khavanov

SAN JOSE

Mike Rathje

TAMPA BAY

Dave Andreychuk, Nikolai Khabibulin

TORONTO

Tie Domi, Brian Leetch, Alexander Mogilny, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts

VANCOUVER

Brad May, Markus Naslund

WASHINGTON

Stephane Beauregard

Complete list here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=05freeagents

396453[/snapback]

Thank you.

Briere should inherit the C - should have kept it in the first place, instead of the "Captain of the Month" deal they had going in 03-04.

396512[/snapback]

I think Drury will get the C, and deserve it.

This is the best news i've heard all offseason... honestly zhitnik was done, glad to see hes gone...

396709[/snapback]

Yeah, and Satan sucked too. We've got Joe Schmoe who's a great offensive power in Rochester and defensive stud Yuri Screwovski playing in the Q.

They'll replace Satan and Zhitnik easy.

What a bunch of BS. New NHL same old Sabres.

Do some of you actually think we're going to sign Naslaud or Neidermayer? Excuse me while I laugh my ass off.

If the Sabres kept Zhitnik and Miro I would have been happy because they are better than anything we'll be able to afford.

10 place here we come!

Two days in and its all doom and gloom. I'm so sick of this. The fans in this city are always looking for something to complain about.

Me, I'd rather sign a couple solid players instead of signing one $5 million guy and then a bunch of veteran minimum guys.

Two days in and its all doom and gloom.  I'm so sick of this.  The fans in this city are always looking for something to complain about.

Me, I'd rather sign a couple solid players instead of signing one $5 million guy and then a bunch of veteran minimum guys.

396868[/snapback]

The Sabres dicked with us for a long time, they said they were going to compete financially. Apparently they meant in a cost-cutting way. There's not that many players left that will fit the Sabres needs and pocketbooks.

Zhitnik signed with the Islanders for 4 years, $14 million. That's $3.5 million per season. Sabres told him they did not want him back. I knew he would get between $3-$4 million per season and the Sabres would not pay that.

More Free Agent signings this evening:

Boston- Dave Scatchard

Calgary- Tony Amonte, Darren McCarty

Carolina- Cory Stillman

Florida- Martin Gelinas

LA Kings- Pavol Demitra

NY Rangers- Martin Straka, Marek Malik

Ottawa- Martin LaPointe

Mike Modano did a 180 and resigned with Dallas for 5 years. Apparently, his boyfriend did not want to move to Boston.

Tons of rumors from-

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Some of the more interesting rumors tonight are:

Scott Niedermayer to Anaheim, Edmonton or Pittsburgh

Satan to Chicago, LA, Montreal or Toronto

Peter Forsberg to Boston, Montreal, NY Rangers

Nikolai Khabibulin to Chicago

Jason Allison to Toronto

Paul Karyia to Edmonton, Montreal or LA

Chris Pronger to Florida

Bryan Berard to Boston, Columbus or LA