Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

Where's former enforcer Dane Jackson when you need him?..lol. Anyone remember when he played a few games up from Rochester? I'll never forget playing Philly at the Aud one time and the game got out of control about a minute before the 2nd period ended. There was already like 3 fights that game then Jackson beat the crap outta someone with about 40 sec left in the 2nd period. Then like 20 sec after play resumed Barnaby got taken out in front of the net and chos ensues. May comes flyin in, everyone starts fighting. Barnaby's down and the goalie (Garth Snow I think) pokes him, then he jumps up and beats the shznit out of him. Fighting goes on for like 10 min. Barnaby and Brind'Amor battled for about 5 min alone. Trefilov came down and fought Snow (Trefilov got killed I think), and they ended the period early to figure out penalties and stuff. Don't know why that random game popped into my head but man it was crazy.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you getting your information on the CBA?  I'm interested in some of the actual formulas being used - particularly how the Player's Escrow will work.  I believe all of the players will be putting about 15% of their salaries into an escrow in case the salaries end up exceeding 54% of revenues, in which case the money will go back to the teams.  Do you know if this is league wide or per team?  I think that some of the new contracts the players are signing are too high because the agents are factoring a 15% reduction based on missed revenue targets.

It also means that the $39 million cap may actually end up costing the owners less than $34 million in actual salaries.

397530[/snapback]

Heres one quote from a story today about the renogotiation

Sakic and Blake were being ripped for not accepting further pay cuts to make room for Foote and Forsberg, which is comical, given that the new CBA prohibits renegotiation as part of the attempt to minimize loopholes. (Prediction: By 2008, lawyers will have discovered 2,008 loopholes and the cap will have softened considerably.)

Good FAQ on the CBA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131133&hubName=nhl

Where's former enforcer Dane Jackson when you need him?..lol. Anyone remember when he played a few games up from Rochester? I'll never forget playing Philly at the Aud one time and the game got out of control about a minute before the 2nd period ended. There was already like 3 fights that game then Jackson beat the crap outta someone with about 40 sec left in the 2nd period. Then like 20 sec after play resumed Barnaby got taken out in front of the net and chos ensues. May comes flyin in, everyone starts fighting. Barnaby's down and the goalie (Garth Snow I think) pokes him, then he jumps up and beats the shznit out of him. Fighting goes on for like 10 min. Barnaby and Brind'Amor battled for about 5 min alone. Trefilov came down and fought Snow (Trefilov got killed I think), and they ended the period early to figure out penalties and stuff. Don't know why that random game popped into my head but man it was crazy.

397768[/snapback]

Those were the days- they should just make hockey entirely about fighting!

397768[/snapback]

I have that on my Sabres Greatest Fights DVD....Barnaby is lyin there and Snow comes over and taps em and Barnaby goes ape sh1t haha

Wow there are alot of teams already past $20M

haha Philly is at $34M with 15 players...

Toronto is the best though with 9 players at $28.5M

Buffalo - 9 players = $7.5M

:blink:

Maybee Darcy see's something we don't...?

Heres one quote from a story today about the renogotiation

Sakic and Blake were being ripped for not accepting further pay cuts to make room for Foote and Forsberg, which is comical, given that the new CBA prohibits renegotiation as part of the attempt to minimize loopholes. (Prediction: By 2008, lawyers will have discovered 2,008 loopholes and the cap will have softened considerably.)

Good FAQ on the CBA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131133&hubName=nhl

398063[/snapback]

Yep, that's about as much detail as I can find on the new CBA too (I think it's similar or identical to the one on the NHL site).

The old CBA is available on the NHLPA site - I'm wondering why they didn't immediately post the new one? I have a feeling there are still a couple of details related to revenue sharing and the salary cap that haven't been released.

• 9 months later...
It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Actually, I think the Sabres have enough talent to make a run without anyone new and expensive.  Briere-Hecht-Dumont is our best scoring line in quite a while, and Vanek and Roy could be ready to bust through.  Even Connolly might be not-bad in a new system of hockey.  It's just the D that worries me, but if Noronen or Miller breaks out, we could be playoff bound.

394862[/snapback]

BUY THIS MAN A BEER! The Chris Mortensen of Hockey! :devil:

Wow there are alot of teams already past $20M

haha Philly is at $34M with 15 players...

Toronto is the best though with 9 players at $28.5M

Buffalo - 9 players = $7.5M

:devil:

Maybee Darcy see's something we don't...?

398305[/snapback]

hahaha Philly at home

hahahaha Toronto at home, didn't even make the playoffs

bahhahahaha! Buffalo almost to the conference finals. I guess Darcy is no TD.

I got to see the last 20 games of the last season, and it seemed like there was a handful of young guys on the team already, that might be able to compensate for whatever production we lose with Satan. We will just never know about some of these kids, unless they get more playing time.  It seems like last we saw the Sabres, they had a wealth of potential 20-25 goal scorers. 

The Sabres organization has traditionally always had a very strong farm team in Rochester.  Maybe, in the "new NHL" with the more wide open style, some of these kids will develop into NHL level talent, more quickly.

Satan is a better than average, but not an elite, offensive player.  I would feel a lot better if they could somehow get a commitment from Afinogenov...I think that kid is terrific, when his head is screwed on....

395339[/snapback]

What genious made this comment? Oh, never mind..... :devil: