Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if we sing anyone for more than $2M per season. The team's payroll is already in the high $20M's, something like 27 or 28 million. That's not far below what they said they planned to spend. I don't know how they can spend $5M on Connolly, Pyatt, and Biron, but there you go.

Is it that high already with the players they tendered offers to?

Well, like you said, I think they'll end up trading Biron, so that'll give us a few million.

Either way, I think they're going to go get a player or two tomorrow, they have to get some players to get fans excited.

It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Actually, I think the Sabres have enough talent to make a run without anyone new and expensive. Briere-Hecht-Dumont is our best scoring line in quite a while, and Vanek and Roy could be ready to bust through. Even Connolly might be not-bad in a new system of hockey. It's just the D that worries me, but if Noronen or Miller breaks out, we could be playoff bound.

I would be surprised if we sing anyone for more than $2M per season. The team's payroll is already in the high $20M's, something like 27 or 28 million. That's not far below what they said they planned to spend. I don't know how they can spend $5M on Connolly, Pyatt, and Biron, but there you go.

Actually, there's reports they would like to sign one top defenseman and potentially a high quality forward depending on what happens with Satan. And they are in better shape with the than you think... Link.

Regier has been quoted as saying they'll probably budget around 28 million for this season.

Just saw this too... Satan gone...

That link doesn't tab up their total salaries, just the ones pre-RFA tenders. At www.sabrefans.com (scroll down to the bottom), it looks like we're already pretty close to that $28M mark. Niedermayer would be likely another $7M, well out of our range.

That link doesn't tab up their total salaries, just the ones pre-RFA tenders.  At www.sabrefans.com (scroll down to the bottom), it looks like we're already pretty close to that $28M mark.  Niedermayer would be likely another $7M, well out of our range.

394875[/snapback]

$7M? No way Niedermayer will cost that much a year!

$7M?  No way Niedermayer will cost that much a year!

394923[/snapback]

Just read that Forsberg and Niedermayer may be the only two players to tap out the new cap system at 7.8 million each. However, several GMs may be reluctant to pay the max salary for a single player because they feel that the league will lose more money this year, making them have to work under a more stringent cap number of maybe 35 Million next year. Too lazy to post a link, but it is under Monday's Free Agency column on NHL.com.

I would be surprised if we sing anyone for more than $2M per season.  The team's payroll is already in the high $20M's, something like 27 or 28 million. That's not far below what they said they planned to spend.  I don't know how they can spend $5M on Connolly, Pyatt, and Biron, but there you go.

394853[/snapback]

Actually the Sabres at about 23.7 million. Darcy said something about it this weekend and that he believes the team will spend the money they saved on Satan to land a top notch defensemen.

This is the new NHL and I truly believe small market teams will have a shot at top level talent. No one is going to get the max aside from maybe Forsberg or Niedermayer.

My instincts tell me that money is going to Alex Zhitnik. If he's not interested move on to another solid minute eater d man.

One other prediction. Marty Biron or Mika will be gone by opening night.