Kelly on the O-line

Mickey

"About the only question mark — and it's a big one — is the offensive line. They're going to need to make sure they can find a way to protect J.P. or he could become gun-shy in a hurry."

Jimbo knows what he is talking about. The line, the line, the line, the line. Its the line. If that unit plays well, this could be a great year. If they don't, well... :blush:

That leaves LT as the major concern.

393152[/snapback]

Which happens to be the single most important position on the entire line. I believe that is why Kelly sees the line as one big fat question mark. I agree with him. There are reasons for optimism for this line, sure, but not really at LT.

Which happens to be the single most important position on the entire line.  I believe that is why Kelly sees the line as one big fat question mark.  I agree with him.  There are reasons for optimism for this line, sure, but not really at LT.

393193[/snapback]

I don’t think that is the case anymore. At one time it was, but I think we have moved past the era of the ultra-dominate RDE and the ultra-dominate LT doing battle week after week.

While it does remain the QB's blind side, I would suggest Center as being more important these days to help defend those more important DT's, call the blocking schemes, and provide that middle push for the running game.

I don’t think that is the case anymore.  At one time it was, but I think we have moved past the era of the ultra-dominate RDE and the ultra-dominate LT doing battle week after week.

While it does remain the QB's blind side, I would suggest Center as being more important these days to help defend those more important DT's, call the blocking schemes, and provide that middle push for the running game.

393202[/snapback]

It's tough to rank which position on the line is the most important. All of them play a vital role, and when you don't have continuity on your line, your team suffers, as has been the case for the Bills ever since the end of the standout line we had w/ Hull, Ballard, Davis, Ritcher, and Wolford.

I don’t think that is the case anymore.  At one time it was, but I think we have moved past the era of the ultra-dominate RDE and the ultra-dominate LT doing battle week after week.

I agree. I don't think that LT will single-handedly take down the entire line. I'd say if Gandy or whomever struggles, they put a TE next to him. While that would seem to take a WR out of the passing game, that TE could be used to chip the DE and go out for an outlet pass. So there are ways to work around it. I can also see them rolling JP to the right a lot.

"About the only question mark — and it's a big one — is the offensive line. They're going to need to make sure they can find a way to protect J.P. or he could become gun-shy in a hurry."

Jimbo knows what he is talking about. The line, the line, the line, the line.  Its the line.  If that unit plays well, this could be a great year.  If they don't, well... :blush:

393014[/snapback]

Once DB left, the line suddenly became the priority and rightly so. It's too bad JP isn't a south paw. The right side is all set now and has played solidly all last year.

393202[/snapback]

the RDE remains the main sack threat, despite rumors to the contrary. The top 3 sack leaders and 4 of the top 5 were right defensive ends last year, and RDEs constituted 10 of the top 20 sack leaders overall:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/SCKS/2004/regular

another thing that is forgotten with regard to left tackles is that they typically don't have a tight end alongside them -- TEs typically line up on the right side. NFL teams are rational actors, and most pay LTs far more than centers or RTs. i am optimistic about the bills this season, but i am in agreement with kelly about the weakness of the left side of the line. bennie anderson was not the bills first choice, and while he's regarded as a good run blocker, the knock on him is that he's a lousy pass blocker, especially in space.

the RDE remains the main sack threat, despite rumors to the contrary. The top 3 sack leaders and 4 of the top 5 were right defensive ends last year, and RDEs constituted 10 of the top 20 sack leaders overall:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/SCKS/2004/regular

another thing that is forgotten with regard to left tackles is that they typically don't have a tight end alongside them -- TEs typically line up on the right side. NFL teams are rational actors, and most pay LTs far more than centers or RTs. i am optimistic about the bills this season, but i am in agreement with kelly about the weakness of the left side of the line. bennie anderson was not the bills first choice, and while he's regarded as a good run blocker, the knock on him is that he's a lousy pass blocker, especially in space.

393480[/snapback]

I dunno... I look at that list and it just doesn't seem like a dominant list of players like back in the day of Bruce and Reggie.... Jumbo Elliot and Webb.

The action these days is in between the ends - DT.

I dunno... I look at that list and it just doesn't seem like a dominant list of players like back in the day of Bruce and Reggie....  Jumbo Elliot and Webb.

393538[/snapback]

The year before I think LDEs were the top few, although I am not sure. Strahan was hurt last year. Ogunleye was in the top the year before. Peppers. I think it is just about even. Plus, teams run more to the right, and that is half of the game. Plus quarterbacks roll to the right far more often.

Yeah, but if four of five postions have either stayed the same or improved, you can hide one bad spot. And I'm not so sure how bad it will even be. It may be adequate and that likely is good enough.

Which happens to be the single most important position on the entire line.  I believe that is why Kelly sees the line as one big fat question mark.  I agree with him.  There are reasons for optimism for this line, sure, but not really at LT.

393193[/snapback]

I dunno... I look at that list and it just doesn't seem like a dominant list of players like back in the day of Bruce and Reggie....  Jumbo Elliot and Webb.

393538[/snapback]

Interesting theory Scott. It raises a couple of questions.....

1) Why are LTs still making SO much more money than OCs? I mean, check out the Jennings signing for instance. Scarcity perhaps?

2) How many teams (recently, because you imply that this is something relatively new) are making the superbowl/playoffs with standout OCs as opposed to dominant LTs?

Another thing to consider is the fact that an OC has more help than an OT because he is surrounded by Guards. Even if a TE lines up alongside a LT, he simply will not be as good as CV for example.

A weak spot at any OL position will be exploited by opponents, and as R. Rich states, continuity matters too.

I guess I am thinking old school with the opinion that the toughest weak link to hide is the one which protects the blind side of the quarterback, but your theory is interesting, and if true; points to the need of more OL help for the Bills, because Teague will be a ufa next year.

Jimbo knows what he is talking about. The line, the line, the line, the line.  Its the line.  If that unit plays well, this could be a great year.  If they don't, well... :P

393014[/snapback]

He should know. The turnstiles the Bills management put at RT after Ballard left had a large contribution to the end of Kelly's career.

Funny, I don't remember having an All Pro at left tackle last year. I may be the only one that thinks this, but IMHO, JJ was an average Lineman who was hurt half the time. Why anyone would pay that much money for him, kills me. If Gandy is just average at the position we'll be fine.

Funny, I don't remember having an All Pro at left tackle last year.  I may be the only one that thinks this, but IMHO, JJ was an average Lineman who was hurt half the time.  Why anyone would pay that much money for him, kills me.  If Gandy is just average at the position we'll be fine.

393587[/snapback]

jennings wasn't elite, but i do think he was a better than average player. there are many who think that the niners did a smart thing, because finding a credible, longterm good player at that positions is one of the hardest things to do. just look at the bills! i mean, they made john fina a franchise player at one point!! jennings is better than fina at his peak, in my estimation.

You have to know that McNally-Clements-Mularkey have probably mentioned this as the major reason why we won't see Preston in there any time soon, and Teague will stay right where he is, despite the 5-6 plays a day at LT.

I agree.  I don't think that LT will single-handedly take down the entire line.  I'd say if Gandy or whomever struggles, they put a TE next to him.  While that would seem to take a WR out of the passing game, that TE could be used to chip the DE and go out for an outlet pass.  So there are ways to work around it.  I can also see them rolling JP to the right a lot.

393358[/snapback]

Defenses will probably guess that we will roll him out to the right given who we will have at LT. Being predictable is not good.

Funny, I don't remember having an All Pro at left tackle last year.  I may be the only one that thinks this, but IMHO, JJ was an average Lineman who was hurt half the time.  Why anyone would pay that much money for him, kills me.  If Gandy is just average at the position we'll be fine.

393587[/snapback]

If Gandy is average....and if he is not? With an average guy like JJ, we did not make the playoffs despite playing an pretty cushy schedule. As I said, there are plenty of reasons for optimism but Kelly is right, the big question mark is the offensive line.