MNF just got way worse

Wow, I guess I am in the major minority here. I actually think Dan Dierdorf is an excellent color guy, but he is much better on Sunday afternoon games, than in prime time. When on MNF, he just hammered things home too often, but the guy knows the game as well as anyone. On his Sunday afternoon games, he has been much more laid back. IMO, I would rather listen to Dierdorf than Joe fuggin Buck any day of the week, no matter what sport he is doing.

I also think Paul Maguire is very good, and I do find him amusing at times. Like Dierdorf, he knows the game well.

And, just to be the absolute contrarian, Joe Theisman has improved tremendously over the years. Would I pick him for MNF? No, I would probably try to reteam Dierdorf and Michaels. I suspect that Theisman is under ESPN contract, hence the first crack at MNF color for ESPN.

Really, I have gotten past the point where I let who is broadcasting the game affect my enjoyment. Dennis Miller was the absolute worst, but I can just tune him out....

I am not sure what everyone expects from their commentator/color crews. It seems like we all hate everyone. Who does anyone like? Would you prefer the broadcasts be done in silence? They tried that one preseason, and it didn't work so good...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah.  Beasley Reese.  That's my all-time nightmare announcing team: Joe Theisman, Dan Dierdorf, and Beastly Reese.

390795[/snapback]

Ah, Beasley. I'll never forget his description of an over-the-middle hit made on a WR:

"He went down like he got shot!"

There's an image.

Man, I must have been the only one who actually liked Dennis Miller. I was so sick of Dierdork saying every player was one of the best at his position, and then stating the blantantly obvious. At least Miller had me laughing some of the time, not often, but sometimes.

I know many people say hit the mute button, but I just cannot do that. Any you old guys remember NBC doing the game with no announcers? Telling, it just seemed like something was missing for me.

As for a few of the the other guys mentioned here, Criqui and Trumpy back in the day I thought were great. Always a big AFC game when these guys were on the broadcast. Now, Criqui has definetley outstayed his welcome and i do not hear Trumpy much anymore.

Wow, I guess I am in the major minority here.  I actually think Dan Dierdorf is an excellent color guy, but he is much better on Sunday afternoon games, than in prime time.  When on MNF, he just hammered things home too often, but the guy knows the game as well as anyone.  On his Sunday afternoon games, he has been much more laid back.  IMO, I would rather listen to Dierdorf than Joe fuggin Buck any day of the week, no matter what sport he is doing. 

I also think Paul Maguire is very good, and I do find him amusing at times.  Like Dierdorf, he knows the game well.

And, just to be the absolute contrarian, Joe Theisman has improved tremendously over the years.  Would I pick him for MNF?  No, I would probably try to reteam Dierdorf and Michaels.  I suspect that Theisman is under ESPN contract, hence the first crack at MNF color for ESPN. 

Really, I have gotten past the point where I let who is broadcasting the game affect my enjoyment.  Dennis Miller was the absolute worst, but I can just tune him out....

I am not sure what everyone expects from their commentator/color crews.  It seems like we all hate everyone.  Who does anyone like?  Would you prefer the broadcasts be done in silence?  They tried that one preseason, and it didn't work so good...

391057[/snapback]

Dierdorf just got on my nerves w/ him saying everything was "the greatest ever..." when he was on MNF.

Maguire is funny. I like him. I still love when he was busting Phil Simms' chops during one preseason game:

Simms: "Detmer looks like he's been bulking up."

Maguire: "Ahhh, he went from 184 to 185."

I love that one!

Wow, I guess I am in the major minority here.  I actually think Dan Dierdorf is an excellent color guy, but he is much better on Sunday afternoon games, than in prime time.

Thuffering thuccotash! My reasoning for hating Dierdofk is simply that whomever is winning is the most glorious supreme ultra mega team/player/coach in the world and whomever is losing is "simply just getting a good old fashion beating on both sides of the ball on national TV to a home town crowd that's getting more restless everyweek and I'm not quite sure how to say it any more plainly than that."

I also think Paul Maguire is very good, and I do find him amusing at times.  Like Dierdorf, he knows the game well.

You obviously haven't seen him in 1028i. Plus, he may know the game well, but he sure the hell can't see a play break down if he was in the freaking play. How many times have you heard him give commentary on a replay that sounded like this: "Oh, man, I gotta tell ya, I just saw Willie...er...Wolly...er...WILLIAMs, yeah, Williams just get blown off the line by Johnson and he NEVER saw what was coming. Now watch this...right...HERE! BAM! He just, I mean, he got, I mean he actually just... Okay so he actually slipped and fell and no one hit him, but I'm here to tell ya if someone had hit him in the open field like that it would've hurt."

What a freakin' maroon.

Sorry if this was posted, but...

God, he is just terrible. At least when he was with Maguire you could laugh at the two buffoons stumbling over each other to see which one looked worse. With just Joe, he will be unbearable.

390775[/snapback]

i'm no fan of michaels, whose greatest flaw is his inability to resist being a color guy as well as a play by play guy. that's a problem, and he sucks up a lot of air. but at least he's competent. the headache-inducing awfulness of dan patrick, however, was much worse. it's easy to lose sight of the fact that he's as terrible as he is due to the fact that he's paired up with theismann (how does that guy have a job, by the way), but awful he is. patrick hyperventilates, exaggerates, and puffs up the stars like no one else in the biz. good riddance.

At least he's not sharing the booth with Dan Dierdorf.  Those two paired would reach a critical mass of idiocy that would ultimately collapse the entire universe into a singularity of stupidity.

390785[/snapback]

0:) now that was funny....

Wow, I guess I am in the major minority here.  I actually think Dan Dierdorf is an excellent color guy, but he is much better on Sunday afternoon games, than in prime time.  When on MNF, he just hammered things home too often, but the guy knows the game as well as anyone.  On his Sunday afternoon games, he has been much more laid back.  IMO, I would rather listen to Dierdorf than Joe fuggin Buck any day of the week, no matter what sport he is doing. 

And, just to be the absolute contrarian, Joe Theisman has improved tremendously over the years.  Would I pick him for MNF?  No, I would probably try to reteam Dierdorf and Michaels.  I suspect that Theisman is under ESPN contract, hence the first crack at MNF color for ESPN. 

Really, I have gotten past the point where I let who is broadcasting the game affect my enjoyment.  Dennis Miller was the absolute worst, but I can just tune him out....

I am not sure what everyone expects from their commentator/color crews.  It seems like we all hate everyone.  Who does anyone like?  Would you prefer the broadcasts be done in silence?  They tried that one preseason, and it didn't work so good...

391057[/snapback]

dierdorf was regarded as excellent before he went to mnf, which has a tendency to make all color guys look awful -- serial exaggeration, mugging for the mike, etc. anyway, now that he's back on cbs doing second tier games, he's become much better - a return to what he started out as, basically.

paul maguire is a buffalo guy so it's hard for me to say this, but he's bad. part of it may be a function of being a member of the worst announcing team in history (of which he's by far and away the most tolerable part), but still, that doesn't absolve of his multiple sins: serial exaggeration, stupid banter with theismann (hands down the worst television announcer of any genre and any language, all time), and unfunny jokes.

They should have put Steve Young and Michael Irvin in the booth with Al. But they wouldn't have had the cahonas to do that to ol' Joe. Young is smart and Irvin is as honest as he is entertaining on the NFL countdown show. I know a lot of people around here hate Irvin, but I think he knows what drives players better than anyone covering the game.

Any you old guys remember NBC doing the game with no announcers? Telling, it just seemed like something was missing for me.

391123[/snapback]

Yes - IIRC it was an AFC game; the network (NBC) did it as a "test" in response to grumblings about announcer palaver. It was bogus - I and I suppose others expected play-by-play i.e, "3rd and 2, Namath takes the snap and hands off to Snell. Snell sweeps right for 5 yards. Tackle by Hendricks. 1st and 10 at the 30". And no added slobber, opinions, boot-licking and pontification.

But it was just silence. Zip. Nada.

After, the network paused from kissing it's own fanny and said more or less, "See? We were right!!!! - people LOVE our announcers!". 0:)

Just a note to those of you who have mentioned Dan Patrick...are you sure you don't mean MIKE Patrick?    0:)

391225[/snapback]

i was gonna say the same...dan patrick is the anchor, and a damn god one...MIKE patrick is the old sunday night football guy, also with macguire and theiswomann...

I have to say the all time worst trio would be Theisman, Dierdorf and that a**wipe Dennis Miller. I haven't watched MNF with the sound on in years.

As a side note, for all you Bills fans who want to see the boys on MNF - please stop that talk right now. Not only would it be unbearable to listen to the game but the Bills have a tendency to crap the bed on those prime time Monday night games.

390853[/snapback]

Especially when we get those games on the road all the time.