City beer consumption %

MMMMMM Beer!

I once heard that Buffalo also has more bars per capita than any other city.

linky

BEER AND BLING: TODAY’S BEER DRINKERS ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE 21-34

AND AFFLUENT, ACCORDING TO SCARBOROUGH RESEARCH

Milwaukee top local U.S. market for beer drinkers;

Salt Lake City, UT consumers least likely to have a cold, frosty one

NEW YORK ( July 12, 2005) – Scarborough Research, the leading market research firm for identifying the shopping, media and lifestyle patterns of adults in the United States, released an analysis of beer consumers (ages 21+), which indicates that today’s beer drinkers are more likely to be between the ages of 21-34 and affluent.

According to the Scarborough analysis, 44 percent of U.S. adults ages 21 and older drank beer during the past month. These beer consumers* include more than half (51 percent) of all 21-34 year-olds. Beer drinkers are 17 percent more likely than all consumers to be in this age group. They also tend to have higher incomes. Today’s beer drinkers are 23 percent more likely than all consumers to have an annual household income of $100k+.

“Today’s beer marketers are fighting for their share against many other products – from wine to spirits. The information in the Scarborough analysis provides a key insight into the lives of today’s beer drinkers,” said Alisa Joseph, vice president, advertiser marketing services, Scarborough Research. “Marketers and brewers can tap into this 21-34 year-old affluence through niche products which give today’s beer drinker a feeling of exclusivity.” With affluence comes other high-end spending habits. Today’s beer drinkers are 17 percent more likely than all consumers to plan to buy new/lease a luxury vehicle in the next 12 months. They are 12 percent more likely to have a home with a market value of more than $500k.

Scarborough’s analysis reveals that Milwaukee is the top local market for beer drinkers, as more than half (54 percent) of consumers 21+ there drank any beer during the past month. The Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and Denver follow with 53 percent and 51 percent, respectively. At the bottom of the list are Salt Lake City, UT (23 percent of consumers 21+ drank any beer during the past 30 days), Charleston, WV (27 percent), Knoxville, TN (28 percent), and Roanoke, VA (29 percent).

Scarborough Local Market Analysis: Beer Drinkers*

Milwaukee, WI 54%

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 53%

Denver, CO 51%

St. Louis, MO 50%

Buffalo, NY 50%

Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY 50%

Boston, MA 50%

* Beer Consumers/ Drinkers: Consumers 21+ who consumed any alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer during the past month.

Three of the cities ahead of us are the home of big brewers.

Milwaukee- several breweries

Minneapolis-?

Denver- Coors

St. Louis- Anheiser- Busch

Maybe Buffalo is so high on the list from all the grain elevators/mills we had.

On a tour of the Beringer Winery in Napa (now owned by Fosters), they said the Berringer brothers got the $ to buy the winery in the 1870s by selling malt to the breweries in Buffalo during the 1860's.

Who are the 50% of losers who have not had a beer in the past month? Come on people. you're dragging us down! If there's one list Buffalo should be on top of, it's this one!

Perhaps once the season starts, that number jumps into the mid 80's.

MMMMMM Beer!

I once heard that Buffalo also has more bars per capita than any other city.

linky

BEER AND BLING: TODAY’S BEER DRINKERS ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE 21-34

AND AFFLUENT, ACCORDING TO SCARBOROUGH RESEARCH

Milwaukee top local U.S. market for beer drinkers;

Salt Lake City, UT consumers least likely to have a cold, frosty one

NEW YORK ( July 12, 2005) – Scarborough Research, the leading market research firm for identifying the shopping, media and lifestyle patterns of adults in the United States, released an analysis of beer consumers (ages 21+), which indicates that today’s beer drinkers are more likely to be between the ages of 21-34 and affluent.

According to the Scarborough analysis, 44 percent of U.S. adults ages 21 and older drank beer during the past month. These beer consumers* include more than half (51 percent) of all 21-34 year-olds. Beer drinkers are 17 percent more likely than all consumers to be in this age group.  They also tend to have higher incomes. Today’s beer drinkers are 23 percent more likely than all consumers to have an annual household income of $100k+.

“Today’s beer marketers are fighting for their share against many other products – from wine to spirits. The information in the Scarborough analysis provides a key insight into the lives of today’s beer drinkers,” said Alisa Joseph, vice president, advertiser marketing services, Scarborough Research. “Marketers and brewers can tap into this 21-34 year-old affluence through niche products which give today’s beer drinker a feeling of exclusivity.” With affluence comes other high-end spending habits. Today’s beer drinkers are 17 percent more likely than all consumers to plan to buy new/lease a luxury vehicle in the next 12 months. They are 12 percent more likely to have a home with a market value of more than $500k.

Scarborough’s analysis reveals that Milwaukee is the top local market for beer drinkers, as more than half (54 percent) of consumers 21+ there drank any beer during the past month. The Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and Denver follow with 53 percent and 51 percent, respectively. At the bottom of the list are Salt Lake City, UT (23 percent of consumers 21+ drank any beer during the past 30 days), Charleston, WV (27 percent), Knoxville, TN (28 percent), and Roanoke, VA (29 percent).

Scarborough Local Market Analysis: Beer Drinkers*

Milwaukee, WI 54%

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 53%

Denver, CO 51%

St. Louis, MO 50%

Buffalo, NY 50%

Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY 50%

Boston, MA 50%

* Beer Consumers/ Drinkers: Consumers 21+ who consumed any alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer during the past month.

381322[/snapback]

interestingly st. louis, denver, and milwaukee are all homes to major breweries. buffalo doesn't have that excuse!

Minneapolis-?

Denver- Coors

St. Louis-  Anheiser- Busch

On a tour of the Beringer Winery in Napa (now owned by Fosters), they said the Berringer brothers got the $ to buy the winery in the 1870s by selling malt to the breweries in Buffalo during the 1860's.

381334[/snapback]

maybe it's so high because there are a lot of people who like to get drunk in buffalo.

Minneapolis-?

Denver- Coors

St. Louis-  Anheiser- Busch

381334[/snapback]

I would argue that what comes out of Milwaukee and St. Louis could hardly be regarded as beer.

Who are the 50% of losers who have not had a beer in the past month?  Come on people. you're dragging us down!

381432[/snapback]

I agree :D

I have been doing all I can to make up for those slackers! But I really could use a few days rest ya know ;)

I'll drink to that ... 51%

Therein lies the problem. If you included the young, Buffalo would undoubtedly be #1.

I would argue that what comes out of Milwaukee and St. Louis could hardly be regarded as beer.

381448[/snapback]

And you'd have a very winnable argument as well. In it's simplest form beer has only four ingredients: water, yeast, malted barley and hops. The big breweries use less malted barley and more corn and rice since they are cheaper.

And you'd have a very winnable argument as well.  In it's simplest form beer has only four ingredients: water, yeast, malted barley and hops.  The big breweries use less malted barley and more corn and rice since they are cheaper.

381478[/snapback]

Granted, there is some terrific beer in Colorado: namely, Fat Tire, which is one of my all-time favorite beers. But Coors isn't a beer. Calling Coors beer is like calling Hot Pockets a nutritious meal.

Granted, there is some terrific beer in Colorado: namely, Fat Tire, which is one of my all-time favorite beers. But Coors isn't a beer. Calling Coors beer is like calling Hot Pockets a nutritious meal.

381543[/snapback]

Fat Tire's amber ale is a phenomenal beer. I had been trying to clone that beer for a few years with only so-so results. I could never quite get that toasted biscuit flavor that is so unique to FT. Then I received a recipe from someone who claimed to have nailed it. I brewed it a few months back and just recently tried the first pint. It's damn good stuff.

And you'd have a very winnable argument as well.  In it's simplest form beer has only four ingredients: water, yeast, malted barley and hops.  The big breweries use less malted barley and more corn and rice since they are cheaper.

381478[/snapback]

If its not Belgium, its crap. Confirmed

Has anyone tried Dogfish Head?

Had a draft of it on a business trip, but I'm not sure

I got the name right.

Quite tasty.

381712[/snapback]

I've had their 60 and 90 minute IPA. Both are excellent and the 90 minute is one of the best beers I'v ever had. They make a 120 minute IPA that has an unbelieveable 21% ABV. I'm not sure I'll try it though.

Their Brown Ale is good but the Shelter Pale Ale is only OK.

I've had their 60 and 90 minute IPA.  Both are excellent and the 90 minute is one of the best beers I'v ever had.  They make a 120 minute IPA that has an unbelieveable 21% ABV.  I'm not sure I'll try it though.

Their Brown Ale is good but the Shelter Pale Ale is only OK.

381738[/snapback]

What does "minute" mean as a beer term of reference? Also ABV.

What does "minute" mean as a beer term of reference?  Also ABV.

381740[/snapback]

I think "minute" refers to the amount of time the mash is boiled. The longer the boil, the higher the alcohol. (Homebrewers help me out if that's not right)

ABV= Alcohol By Volume.