NFLs underrated/overrated players

SportsLine.com annual list of underrated/overrated players.

Buffalo Bills

Underrated: Trey Teague, center

The Bills have a first-round pick playing right tackle (Mike Williams) and some other top-notch free agents at other spots along the line, but Teague remains their best lineman. He can play center and tackle, but it appears the Bills will keep him at center this season.

Overrated: Lawyer Milloy, safety

He is still a tough tackler, and does a nice job near the line of scrimmage, but he struggles in man coverage. The Bills can cover him up with their zone defenses, but he is no longer a top-tier safety.

If I picked 2 players...

Underrated: London Fletcher, MLB

The cog that the defense revolves around.

Overrated: Terence McGee, CB

Had some luck and success last year, but cannot be relied on as a starting CB. When push comes to shove he will let us down big time.

if I picked 2 players

underrated- Lawyer Milloy, ss

He is still a tough tackler, and does a nice job near the line of scrimmage, his pass coverages skills are what make him undderated. Go Back and watch the games when he's in and when he's not in, than tell me he's not good in coverage. There's this whole stigma now just cause he got cut by ne that he's "overrated" now. I personally don't see it.

overrated- I had trouble with this one but I'm gonna have to agree with the previous poster and say Terrence Mcgee. He improved somewhat at cb as the season went on, but will never be mistaken for a #1 cb.

Overrated: Terence McGee, CB

Had some luck and success last year, but cannot be relied on as a starting CB. When push comes to shove he will let us down big time.

375910[/snapback]

that's tough. calling a 1st-year starting CB forced into action b/c of injury "overrated?" c'mon, the guy was supposed to be a nickel back and kick returner.

to be eligible for the "overrated" designation a player must first be considered by some or most to be great or very good at his position. mcgee doesn't fit that category. bad call.

the most overrated player on the bills at this point would have to be eric moulds -- and i say that as a huge moulds fan. perhaps he has been a victim of circumstance -- inconsistent QB and OL play, injury -- but he gets far more credit than he has been deserving of on the field. here's hoping he gets some of the magic back in '05.

that's tough.  calling a 1st-year starting CB forced into action b/c of injury "overrated?"  c'mon, the guy was supposed to be a nickel back and kick returner.

to be eligible for the "overrated" designation a player must first be considered by some or most to be great or very good at his position.  mcgee doesn't fit that category.  bad call.

the most overrated player on the bills at this point would have to be eric moulds -- and i say that as a huge moulds fan.  perhaps he has been a victim of circumstance -- inconsistent QB and OL play, injury -- but he gets far more credit than he has been deserving of on the field.  here's hoping he gets some of the magic back in '05.

375944[/snapback]

McGee is a SAFETY. He should not be playing CB. Despite what the idiot Bill's top brass thinks.. :lol:

that's tough.  calling a 1st-year starting CB forced into action b/c of injury "overrated?"  c'mon, the guy was supposed to be a nickel back and kick returner.

to be eligible for the "overrated" designation a player must first be considered by some or most to be great or very good at his position.  mcgee doesn't fit that category.  bad call.

the most overrated player on the bills at this point would have to be eric moulds -- and i say that as a huge moulds fan.  perhaps he has been a victim of circumstance -- inconsistent QB and OL play, injury -- but he gets far more credit than he has been deserving of on the field.  here's hoping he gets some of the magic back in '05.

375944[/snapback]

Great post eball, most fans outside of Buffalo most likely don't know he even plays DB.

Underrated around the NFL is Moorman

Overrated, I agrre on Moulds

This is an interesting question regarding the Bills.

I think a number of players are underrated particularly given some of the grief they get on TSW.

I agree that Lindon Fletcher is underrated by the football pundits and the rest of the worked. I think he has led the Bills in tackles every year that he has been here whether our D was good or bad he is a magnet to ball carriers, Hiw work in his early days here was quite impressive because our DL was so bad they could all be handled one-on-one and he would have an OL player in his grill assigned to get him and he would sttill make tackles.

He is the D captain and seems to know what is going on in terms of the refs calls on most plays.

Yet he has never made the Pro Bowl or even get an alternates nod for the most part. He also gets grief he does not deserve in TSW, he is a bit out of control sometimes but I think a lot of this is because he is trying so hard. Add to this that I think the refs laid at least one personal foul call on him last year he did not deserve and I think this is where the whining comes from To think some Bills partisans have actually advocated cutting him.

Another player who I think is underrated speifically here on TSW is Ryan Denney. He is not a Pro Bowler and I agreed with making Kelsay starter over him, but again the idea that he should be cut is not based on an understanding of football as best as I can tell.

I think a lot of people dismiss Denney because he was horrible initially because it is reported he did not bend his ig body properly and initially he was easily neutralized or taken out of the play by an opponent using his bad posterior to gt leverage on him. However, despite the fact he was made inactive for much of his first season because he was ineffective, he did solve this problem and even made starter his second season on a bad team.

I think Denney demonstrated great value last year though as his play allowed the Bills to go with only three DEs last year despite using a rotation.

Denney proved to be not only stalwart against the eun, but also showed great athleticism being able to work well in the zone blitz and drop back using his big wingspan in the shortzone and surprising athleticism to even do good coverag in the medium zone ( he pulled down an INT there last pre-season.

Yet, i think he still gets a lot more gried than he deserves because many wrote him off when he was inactive a lot his first year after TD had traded up to get him (because we spent our 2nd on Reed who unexpctedly was there and we had a huge DE need. In addition to that he has never amassed a lot of sacks for us and even less so now because the run blitz has him dropping back on many pass plays.

I think the world pays no attention to this second stringer and they are correct not to worry or note our back-ups much. However, i think he is underrated by those fans who do not recognize that he contributed a lot to this D statitically ranked #2 in the nFL last year.

He is still a tough tackler, and does a nice job near the line of scrimmage, but he struggles in man coverage. The Bills can cover him up with their zone defenses, but he is no longer a top-tier safety.

375881[/snapback]

I miss our former pro-bowl left guard, I only need to think the underrated player when he was around.

Now everyone cannot agree on the most Overrated player any more. :lol:

Buffalo Bills

Underrated: Trey Teague, center

The Bills have a first-round pick playing right tackle (Mike Williams) and some other top-notch free agents at other spots along the line, but Teague remains their best lineman. He can play center and tackle, but it appears the Bills will keep him at center this season.

375881[/snapback]

Its interesting that 10 of his overrated players play the safety position....and 6 of his underrated. That's 1/4 of the players listed. Someone appears to be hung up on Safties.

McGee is a SAFETY. He should not be playing CB. Despite what the idiot Bill's top brass thinks.. :lol:

375950[/snapback]

Explain why he is a safety in your estimations?

Underrated Player - Brian Moorman. He is a Pro Bowl punter playing in city where the wind can kill the average.

Overrated Player - Willis McGahee. Until he plays a full season, not sure why he is annoited the next Walter Payton.

Explain why he is a safety in your estimations?

375981[/snapback]

He excelled at that spot in college, and when moved to cb his senior year, scouts noticed the drop-off. I imagine some of the reports are still on the net.

I'm a fan of his, and still can't figure out why the Bill's brass didn't use him in the kicking game his first year, seeing how the scouts dubbed him one of the very best returners in college. They were right, as we found out.

re: mcgee and euhus

i love it how half the posters here consider a 2nd or 3rd year player "overrated" just because they havent made the pro bowl yet or put up a monster season...HELLO, they've only played a couple of seasons!!!

When you're talking about over and under rated players, you have to talk about established veterans. 2nd or 3rd year players can hardly be considered in that light.

I would have to say Most Overrated would be Eric Moulds, there has been a drop off in his play the past couple of years. The most Underrated would be Brian Moorman, its just shocking to see that he is left off all the media's lists as one of the top punters in the league.

I think it's pretty obvious that THenry is the most overrated player, seeing as other teams see him equal to a 4th round pick.

Underrated- The 12th Man of course!!!!  The beer sales don't lie!!!

376699[/snapback]

Sorry, to clarify, I mean Henry is overrated by the Bills and us as fans. I believe he is better than a midlevel pick, but the rest of the league doesn't (yet)

I REALLY disagree that Milloy is overrated. He broke his hand last year and when he came back, he lit it up! I expect big things from him this year. Anyways:

Overrated: Terrence McGee, CB

Terrence McGee is an all-pro returner, we all know that. But I think he is GREATLY overrated as a CB. People seem to think he's a solid, up and coming talent. But as a starter, I think he's average at best.

Underrated: Daimon Shelton, FB

He was out of football for a year and when he came back, no one gave him any props (outside of Bills fans). But he deserved it. He did a heck of a job plowing people for Willy and is just an all-around beast that i'd like to see in Bills colors for a long time.