Biggest Bills as-hole

Unfortunately, it comes with the rarified air of fame and fortune.

365096[/snapback]

I know, I know. I don't blame them for being moody I guess. A few posts ago I was talking on how Oprah and MJ wouldn't sign... It doesn't really get me mad, I understand they just don't want to do.

I would probably be the same way, pick and choose... Decide where you want to spend the energy?

It is like anything else, one person loving you and then the next hates you.

O well.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know.  I don't blame them for being moody I guess.  A few posts ago I was talking on how Oprah and MJ wouldn't sign... It doesn't really get me mad, I understand they just don't want to do.

I would probably be the same way, pick and choose... Decide where you want to spend the energy?

It is like anything else, one person loving you and then the next hates you.

O well.

365101[/snapback]

Perhaps in Oprah's and MJ's case, their staff decided not to forward the items to them. People like that have people who handle the public relations and not everything gets to the star's level, so they never even know about it.

No Bills as-hole stories, really. But I do remember the mini-camp at Fairport High in the spring of 1987, which was Jimbo's first mini-camp with the Bills. I got his autograph on that poster thingy they handed out at the gate, then I went over to get some of the defensive players to sign.

Fred Smerlas took my poster, looked at it and laughed. "Hey Bruce," he said to Bruce Smith, who was standing next to him, "look at this." Bruce looked. Jimbo's signature took up half the damn page. Bruce laughed. "The whole page, huh?" he said, and shook his head.

Still remember this vividly...Freshman or Sophmore in HS at the Niagara BB summer camp...playing all day, messing around all night :blink: ...walking across campus one day...Bills training camp going on...is that him? ;) ...Juuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :lol: ...Can we get an autograph?...PLEASE?...OJ turns around :lol: ...gives us the wave off over his shoulder and disappears into the distance... :(

Luckily I wasn't scarred for life.

Still remember this vividly...Freshman or Sophmore in HS at the Niagara BB summer camp...playing all day, messing around all night  :blink: ...walking across campus one day...Bills training camp going on...is that him?  ;) ...Juuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee!!!!  :lol: ...Can we get an autograph?...PLEASE?...OJ turns around  :lol: ...gives us the wave off over his shoulder and disappears into the distance... :(

Luckily I wasn't scarred for life.

365166[/snapback]

So he knifed through the crowd ?

So he knifed through the crowd ?

365168[/snapback]

You woulda thunk I was hot butter!

You know, I didn't realize it until my recent flashback, but the guy was wearing gloves. Really tiny, tiny gloves. How the heck did he get them on those hands of his?

I know people are trying to find someone who was an Ahole. But I just want to give props to Lou Piccone. He was probably about the nicest and most approachable Bill ever. When I was in HS, I got to meet him, we started talking, turns out he liked playing basketball, a lot of other things.... But really just a personable person. Now on a side note he and Fred Smerlas probably had the hairest arms I have ever seen. Also, he was a lot shorter than I had expected and he had arms like a gorilla. Huge and long. Way of of proportion for his height.

Definitely Doug Flutie. He screamed at my 70 year old mother and others for wanting a picture with him. He didn't want to be bothered by fans. After I pointed out what a jerk he was acting like, he grudgingly let it happen. On the other hand, Jumbo was just the opposite, he was so cool with fans.

Definitely Doug Flutie. He screamed at my 70 year old mother and others for wanting a picture with him. He didn't want to be bothered by fans. After I pointed out what a jerk he was acting like, he grudgingly let it happen. On the other hand, Jumbo was just the opposite, he was so cool with fans.

365212[/snapback]

I think it's because he always looke up to your mother.

Thurman Thomas was great when I met him six years ago. Let us take pictures with him and signed everything. He even put me in a headlock because I was wearing a Jim Kelly jersey - not his!

Frank Reich is great about signing things. Don Beebe and Carlton Bailey are very approachable.

Cornelius Bennett. He wasn't rude to me personally, but I saw him out at Kelly's nightclub one night after a game. I watched as maybe ten people came up to him and just said "nice game" etc. He stared straight ahead like a zombie as if they weren't even there.

On the flip side, I played 9 holes of golf with Will Grant at the Hamburg Town Golf course when I was a teenager. A super nice guy. The next day I heard on the news that he got arrested for marijuana possession.

I think it is unfair to judge a player by whether or not he will sign an autograph on a certain occasion. I have been getting autographs and meeting players for a long time and I have been turned down sometimes and also treated very nicely by the same player on another occasion.

Just because a guy doesnt sign or doesnt always respond doesnt mean he is an "as" or "ass" - they are just people and don't always feel like being bothered.

An example is someone said travis henry turned them down, henry was one of the nicest players i have ever met and think its proof not to judge players but things of that nature.

365046[/snapback]

There are sports figures who refuse to sign for their own reasons. Bill Russell, for example. He wouldn't sign a photo for Satch Sanders, his own teammate, but he would take the time and talk to people if they came up to him on the street.

Kelly said he won't sign for adults, only for kids and if they have one thing to sign. Some parents were giving their kids a ton of stuff and then selling it. The former head of our Bills Backers group got a ton of players to sign our banner when he went to training camp.

365073[/snapback]

I took my then around 12ish brother-in-law to Bills Training Camp in Fredonia one year. He had a Bills hat he was trying to get all the players to sign. Out rides Kelly in his cart with his handler, and he gets swarmed. I remember him at least one time saying "I recognize you" (likely as a kid who did as you said above about getting signatures to sell). My B-I-L hands Kelly the hat, which he signs. Then he turns his back to Kelly, with the hopes that he'd sign the "JC Penney Special" #12 "jersey" that he had on (you know the kind, the < $20 jersey style shirts). As the handler is saying "no jersies," Kelly leans over and signs it.

And I would bet that players who have both good and bad stories about them could be generally characterized as "good" at "official" functions (signings, meet the player events, etc) and "bad" in the general public. I remember hearing Flutie on the radio with Brother Wease, and he had just that weekend gone to Darien Lake to have a fun time with his family. Of course people recognize him and surround him, and obviously with no one there to control the situation there's a no-win scenario for him. I mean, he could either give up his family time and stand in the middle of the park signing for everyone who came to Darien Lake that day, or he could look like a jerk by saying "no, I'm not signing autographs for anyone today," or simply shrugging the fans off.