The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardobe

Anyone have any thoughts on this book to movie adaptation? The previews look promising.

The cartoon version was average at best and the (I think) PBS series of the 7 chapter Chronicles of Narnia was lame.

I am focusing on the fact that the first Hobbit and LOTR cartoons/movies were also lame, but the recent movies were superb. That gives me some hope.

Comments?

Anyone else a C.S. Lewis fan?

p.s. I just realized I used the OT tag. Is there anything NEW on topic? :D These are the leanest parts of the football season.

Anyone else a C.S. Lewis fan?

364660[/snapback]

Someone gave me a copy of "The Screwtape Letters" recently and I got to page 15. I hate allegory, and especially religious allegory. I don't know but his children's books don't seem much better to me.

I enjoy the works of C.S. Lewis, and am looking forward to the movie, but, I'm not sure I trust Disney, so I keep thinking to myself, "they're gonna screw it up".

The previews looked promising.

"I hate allegory, and especially religious allegory."

I'm sensing something deeper than a dislike for a literary style.

Someone gave me a copy of "The Screwtape Letters" recently and I got to page 15. I hate allegory, and especially religious allegory. I don't know but his children's books don't seem much better to me.

364908[/snapback]

I saw it years ago onstage at Niagara on the Lake. As much as I love theater, I simply didn't understand the Chronicles of Narnia. I guess I'm a little too simple for CS Lewis!

I never read all 7 books in the Narnia series, but I did find them enjoyable.

I am very interested in seeing this first movie, the previews look very impressive.

Tilda Swinton should be great as the White Witch, and Brian Cox plays a good guy for a change as the voice of Aslan.

If this movie becomes a huge hit, it will be interesting to see how Disney will handle the rest of the series. Can they possibly make 7 seperate films in this series?

Also, in case you did'nt know, the first trailer for King Kong, another big December movie, will be playing with The War of the Worlds.

364908[/snapback]

I got a kick out of the letters between Screwtape and Slubgob, two demons discussing how to "screw" people up. Terrible movie material though.

The Perelandra Trilogy was good. That Hideous Strength was downright scary, while the middle book Perelandra was a bit dry.

I don't know, Chronicles of Narnia, Book 7 parallels Revelation in many ways, but it is more like a family reunion than judgement day.

The promos look good, it all depends on whether or not the story is as good as the effects. This is NOT the Lion King.

I am very interested in seeing this first movie, the previews look very impressive.

Tilda Swinton should be great as the White Witch, and Brian Cox plays a good guy for a change as the voice of Aslan.

If this movie becomes a huge hit, it will be interesting to see how Disney will handle the rest of the series. Can they possibly make 7 seperate films in this series?

Also, in case you did'nt know, the first trailer for King Kong, another big December movie, will be playing with The War of the Worlds.

365043[/snapback]

IIRC, Nicole Kidman was originally cast as the White Witch ... wonder what happened?

Have you delved into Shadowlands?

Interesting.

365078[/snapback]

Watch the PBS version, not the recent one with Anthony Hopkins -- great actor, but the story isn't quite as powerful.

365043[/snapback]

So, there will likely be 7 movies?

I had my doubts about them doing all 7, but the trailer erased those doubts. They are planning on it based on how the movie is being marketed: The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

The L, W, & W is actually a subtitle. It is being marketed as the first installment of the the Chronicles.

You really think Disney will tell the whole story, without removing critical dialogue? Not possible, Disney is one the most anti Christian organizations in America. They were also one of the greatest detractors against the Passion of the Christ, so undoubtably they will cut the dialogue, or change it so not to offend anyone, thus eliminating the very essense of C. S. Lewis.

If its just a cartoon, then Disney will do it. If it leads a person to another conclusion, they will eliminate it, or modify it.

MN John Posted Yesterday, 01:10 PM

You really think Disney will tell the whole story, without removing critical dialogue? Not possible, Disney is one the most anti Christian organizations in America. They were also one of the greatest detractors against the Passion of the Christ, so undoubtably they will cut the dialogue, or change it so not to offend anyone, thus eliminating the very essense of C. S. Lewis.

If its just a cartoon, then Disney will do it. If it leads a person to another conclusion, they will eliminate it, or modify it.

I had read that this movie will have a running time of nearly 3 hours. So there is a possibility that none of the crucial dialogue will be omitted.

As for your comment on The Passion, I think it is a bit unfair to single out them as one of the great detractors of that movie. Look at how many studios passed on being a distributor. Warner Bros., 20th Century FOX, Universal, Paramount, Columbia, New Line Cinema. NewMarket, one of the smallest studios, even smaller than Focus Features & Lions Gate, picked it up.