Pat Williams on NFL Radio

(for evidence of this, see shane matthews' comments earlier this week -- a freaking 3rd string QB who wanted to retire LAST year).

That's not evidence of anything -- every year, players on every team are saying things like, "We've got our best shot ever to win this thing," and "With the talent we have here, there's no telling what we can do." Everyone says that they're going to win the Superbowl in the offseason. It's just as cliche as every coach saying, "We just need to execute better." Same stuff, different season.

CW

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not evidence of anything -- every year, players on every team are saying things like, "We've got our best shot ever to win this thing," and "With the talent we have here, there's no telling what we can do."  Everyone says that they're going to win the Superbowl in the offseason.  It's just as cliche as every coach saying, "We just need to execute better."  Same stuff, different season.

CW

363920[/snapback]

i beg to differ. while your premise is usually accurate, the situation here calls for another analysis.

unless matthews needs the money -- and there's no indication that is the case -- this certainly is evidence of something. there's a difference between a player under a multi-year contract spouting cliches, and a guy who is ready to get on with his life but wants to be a part of a team for another year b/c he sees something special.

matthews was under NO obligation to return to buffalo, and we know his paycheck is not significant. either he's in it for the "easy" money, or he really believes in the team. recall, matthews came aboard AFTER the bills jettisoned bledsoe. do you think he would have done that if he thought they made a bad decision and the team would suffer?

look, i wish big pat well. but his comments mean absolutely nothing because of the situation he is in. matthews' comments, on the other hand, carry some basis for credibility.

matthews was under NO obligation to return to buffalo, and we know his paycheck is not significant.  either he's in it for the "easy" money, or he really believes in the team.  recall, matthews came aboard AFTER the bills jettisoned bledsoe.  do you think he would have done that if he thought they made a bad decision and the team would suffer?

look, i wish big pat well.  but his comments mean absolutely nothing because of the situation he is in.  matthews' comments, on the other hand, carry some basis for credibility.

363939[/snapback]

Let me play Devil's advocate: $750,000 to be a third string Qb and not do anything.... Or sit home for nothing. Yeah, tough choice.

I agree with you that Pat's comments don't mean anything. But I also don't think that SM's comments mean anything either...

Why do I read all this stuff if I don't think it means anything?! :devil::doh:

Oh well :doh:

CW

Let me play Devil's advocate: $750,000 to be a third string Qb and not do anything....  Or sit home for nothing.  Yeah, tough choice.

I agree with you that Pat's comments don't mean anything.  But I also don't think that SM's comments mean anything either...

Why do I read all this stuff if I don't think it means anything?!  :devil:  :doh:

Oh well :doh:

CW

363944[/snapback]

i'll play devil as well -- why wouldn't SM simply say, "the line looks good and i think we'll have a good year" if he isn't sure about it or, even worse, has concerns? why go the extra step to talk about anderson and make specific comments about how he thinks the line will be physical and dominant?

anyway, i guess we talk about this crap b/c we're just jonesing for football. :D

Mr. Big Fat Sour Grapes continues to shoot his mouth off. He's very lucky the Vikes paid big money for a soon-to-be-33 year old whose game is in serious decline.

He can dis Edwards all he wants, but Edwards is as big or bigger than him, and more mobile and athletic. Anderson is a former 3rd rounder whom Krumrie loves. I think we'll be better at DT this year.

And exactly what does he know about JP and his progress at QB?

Blasting your former team as Mr. Sour Grapes has done is a classless thing to do. I always thought better of Pat.

Williams and Adams were somewhat incompatible. I think the Bills would be a better defense with a big clogger next to Adams allowing him to use that explosive burst to pressure QB's while a Ted Washington type held down the line for the LB's. I don't see Edwards or Anderson filling that role at this point, unless Anderson plays a lot bigger than he weighs.

The Bills did well having Pat and Sam inside, but only to a point. Very often, you'd see Pat handled 1 on 1 by the opponent's O-Line. We don't need a 350 pound guy with today's offenses; we need guys who can bring consistent pressure up the middle to disrupt the play. Adams does this, and a platoon of Edwards-Anderson will do this, IMHO.

So it isn't possible that a player who has a lot of football knowledge could actually be telling the truth?

363625[/snapback]

The interesting thing to me is that regular posters on this board are willing to give players the benefit of the doubt because of their knowledge level, but are unwilling to give coaches and GMs the same.

1. The Bills have no replacement for him. It will be on Spikes and Fletcher to pick up the slack, but it will be hard without him.

Pat has good reason to be building up his own image: namely, marketing. But he should also realize that the graveyards are full of indespensable men.

3. The Bills (I read it Donahoe) is screwing TH over.  He said either trade him or release him.  Give him time to learn the playbook for another team.

363622[/snapback]

So? Isn't there just the slightest possibility that the whiny little B word deserves it?

3. The Bills (I read it Donahoe) is screwing TH over. He said either trade him or release him. Give him time to learn the playbook for another team.

Please explain how the Bills are "screwing" Travis.

HE came in, hat in hand, wanting an extra year on his contract. TD gave it to him, along with a bonus. Now, after a dismal season, he is under contract for upwards of a million dollars, and is not participating with the team.

What's the problem?

363916[/snapback]

The problem is this...TH will not be a Bill next season. He will either be traded or released before the season starts. Everyday the Bills postpone this, is one less day for him to learn a new teams scheme. That is screwing him because even though he is under contract, the Bills know they will not honoring this season.

The problem is this...TH will not be a Bill next season.  He will either be traded or released before the season starts.  Everyday the Bills postpone this, is one less day for him to learn a new teams scheme.  That is screwing him because even though he is under contract, the Bills know they will not honoring this season.

364023[/snapback]

That's insane. The Bills are doing Henry a favor by trading him. The Bills are well within their rights to get reasonable value for him, or force him to play this year.

The Bills have been more than fair to Henry. To say they are screwing him is agentspeak, and smacks of anti-TD bias.

The problem is this...TH will not be a Bill next season.  He will either be traded or released before the season starts.  Everyday the Bills postpone this, is one less day for him to learn a new teams scheme.  That is screwing him because even though he is under contract, the Bills know they will not honoring this season.

364023[/snapback]

I guess that this is the price one pays for being a player with little value. Think about it....if any GM would have coughed up a 3rd in a weak draft, this would be a moot point.

Hey, I would take that 4th from the Titans today. They might finish in the bottom 5 or so anyway. TD runs the team and he is hoping for more, thus the wait.

Henry is merely screwing himself with the pouting.

Jmo.

The Bills did well having Pat and Sam inside, but only to a point. Very often, you'd see Pat handled 1 on 1 by the opponent's O-Line. We don't need a 350 pound guy with today's offenses; we need guys who can bring consistent pressure up the middle to disrupt the play. Adams does this, and a platoon of Edwards-Anderson will do this, IMHO.

363958[/snapback]

Exactly! Thank you. Can we please put Brady on his candy@ss already? That is the only sure way you beat the Patriots.

Well I would bet that Takeo Spikes and Troy Vincent thought that this team looks ready to explode (on paper) and that was a big reason that they signed here, too. It just didn't happen. But what Matthews said is true, there is a good organization, a good coaching staff and a lot of talented players on this team. That doesn't mean winning until it is done on the field.

That's insane. The Bills are doing Henry a favor by trading him. The Bills are well within their rights to get reasonable value for him, or force him to play this year.

The Bills have been more than fair to Henry. To say they are screwing him is agentspeak, and smacks of anti-TD bias.

364037[/snapback]

Todd...Do you think that the Bills dress TH for any games? I doubt it. Of course if he was in the plans for the season, and would get to play that is one thing. But there is nobody at One Bills Drive that believes he will suit up for a game, so why not just give him the release? If no team was willing to cough up TD asking price, and he has no value, why not jus release him?

i'll play devil as well -- why wouldn't SM simply say, "the line looks good and i think we'll have a good year" if he isn't sure about it or, even worse, has concerns?  why go the extra step to talk about anderson and make specific comments about how he thinks the line will be physical and dominant?

Maybe SM was TOLD to say these things to generate good PR. Positive publicity sells tickets and drums up more support for the team. It isn't unheard of for management in any company to put a positive image towards the public, regardless of what warts are hiding underneat.

anyway, i guess we talk about this crap b/c we're just jonesing for football.  :doh:

363949[/snapback]

No kidding. :doh: I realized how close the season is when I got my Bills/Packers scrimmage tickets the other day. :devil: People in Green Bay are paying $45-$50/ticket from scalpers to see the SCRIMMAGE. Face value of the tickets is $8. I'm half tempted to sell 'em (I have 8; my inlaws are big Packers fans in Green Bay), but I know I'll go.

CW

Yeah, I think they would dress him. Why not? Because he's a whiny ass? Henry's holdout will damage his value, which only hurts him. If henry holds out, the Bills don't have to pay him which is essentially the same as releasing him cap-wise. As long as henry is on the roster, he has trade value for the Bills. I don't think you can justify your statement that he has no value.

Secondly, why shouldn't the Bills wait to see what they can get for him? They know they can get a 4th or 5th for sure, and he's certainly worth at least a 3rd. Why would they sacrifice the possiblity of getting a 3rd rounder for him by releasing him? There's no good, logical reason to do so. The only reason I can think to do so is so fans like us don't have to hear henry or his agent whine, and that's not a good reason.

As a fan of the Bills, I'd think you'd want the Bills to improve themselves, and one way to do that is through draft picks. Why release Henry for nothing? It makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course you want Donahoe & the Bills to fail.

Todd...Do you think that the Bills dress TH for any games?  I doubt it.  Of  course if he was in the plans for the season, and would get to play that is one thing.  But there is nobody at One Bills Drive that believes he will suit up for a game, so why not just give him the release?  If no team was willing to cough up TD asking price, and he has no value, why not jus release him?

364069[/snapback]

3. The Bills (I read it Donahoe) is screwing TH over.  He said either trade him or release him.  Give him time to learn the playbook for another team.

363622[/snapback]

Yes...TH should be learning the playbook.....of the Bills...He is under

contract and I don't see any reason to release him unless the bills can

get something for him...

Pat did not give a hometown discount to stay back with the bills and took

the money to go to the Vikes...I don't understand why the Bills are not

allowed to do the same....aka...look out for what is best for them.