Beer drinking traditions

DrW

Posted (edited)

In and around the German city of Hannover, where I grew up, we have a very unusual way to consume beer, called the Lüttje Lage. You have two glasses, a larger one (still pretty small) with 0.1 liter (about 4 fl. oz.) of a brown beer, and a shot glass with 1/10 of the volume of "korn" (grain brandy). What makes this combination so special is that you drink the beer while the korn is flowing in your beer glass. Sounds complicated, but do not fret - there are many instructions to be found on the internet.

https://www.luettjelage.com/tutorial

What I found especially interesting is that they have instructions in languages of countries not allowing the use of alcohol.

One advantage I see from drinking this way - it is difficult to get really drunk. Once your coordination is compromised, you will spill most of the drink. 

Amy specific traditions in your location?

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

my go to is the built in beer fridge under the family room desk stocked at all times with beers of all flavors. My go to's are Stella Artois , Moose head or Corona. Hubby likes dark chewier beers even an occasional Guinness, fat tire, Sam Adams  etc

lol I went to the beer fridge to see what he had stocked in there. My son was home recently and his friends brought over some crazy stuff

"Elysian Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale and a Elysian Contact Haze HAZY IPA....what the heck?...that last one I wondered if it were somehow cannabis infused lol Geez

tagging @Mikie2times for veracity lol 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, muppy said:

my go to is the built in beer fridge under the family room desk STOCKED at all times with beers of all flavors. My go to's are Stella Artois , Moose head or Corona. Hubby likes dark chewier beers even an occasional Guinness, fat tire, Sam Adams  etc

lol I went to the beer fridge to see what he had stocked in there. My son was home recently and his friends brought over some crazy stuff

"Elysian Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale and a Elysian Contact Haze HAZY IPA....what the heck?...that last one I wondered if it were somehow cannabis infused lol Geez

Elysian isn't bad.  I think they got bought out by one of the big beers though, I think InBev.  Increased distribution which can be good in theory, but now it's just another brand in the world of InBev.  A lot of craft breweries are struggling right now which TBH is probably good.  There were too many and a lot of them didn't have good product.  That's capitalism.  It bothers me when a decent one closes up or sells out though.

This reminds me, I need to go back to Massachusetts soon. My stash of TreeHouse is running low.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Elysian isn't bad.  I think they got bought out by one of the big beers though, I think InBev.  Increased distribution which can be good in theory, but now it's just another brand in the world of InBev.  A lot of craft breweries are struggling right now which TBH is probably good.  There were too many and a lot of them didn't have good product.  That's capitalism.  It bothers me when a decent one closes up or sells out though.

This reminds me, I need to go back to Massachusetts soon. My stash of TreeHouse is running low.

San Diego is a craft beer mecca. We are host to some Great beer. STONE brewery here has a great venue near Escondido. The place Is dog friendly and tons of families bring their kids. It is indoor / outdoor space gorgeous landscaping.  It's my favorite beer venue. There are tons of great places to partake of beer  here as you can imagine 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, muppy said:

San Diego is a craft beer mecca. We are host to some Great beer. STONE brewery here has a great venue near Escondido. The place Is dog friendly and tons of families bring their kids. It is indoor / outdoor space gorgeous landscaping.  It's my favorite beer venue. There are tons of great places to partake of beer  here as you can imagine 

Stone is another one.  Bought by Sapporo a couple years ago.  We've gotten Stone out here for a long while now though.  I've enjoyed it a time or twenty.  Do they still brew Arrogant Bastard?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, muppy said:

my go to is the built in beer fridge under the family room desk STOCKED at all times with beers of all flavors. My go to's are Stella Artois , Moose head or Corona. Hubby likes dark chewier beers even an occasional Guinness, fat tire, Sam Adams  etc

tagging @Mikie2times for veracity lol 🙂

I can validate 😆 I like Stone as well, food is decent, great vibe, and the beer is great. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

All I know is that, for whatever reason, in the circles in which I travel, after everyone toasts each other, it is considered rude or bad luck not to tap one's glass on the table before drinking. So it goes toast, tap, drink. Failure to do so elicits scorn. Why? I have no idea. Is this universal?

Also, and I suppose this is only tangentially related...when I used to live on the island of St John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, it was very common to "Ice" one's friends. That is, to present them -- at a random, surprise time and usually in a creative fashion -- with a very warm (or hot, given the tropical temperatures) Smirnoff Ice, with the rule being that, once presented with one, the recipient had no choice but to drop to one knee and speed-drink the entire beverage.

It's a dumb, sophomoric game, which proliferated on the island most likely because it's Neverland down there, and no one wants to grow up. I will admit -- I witnessed some pretty funny Icings. Drive-by Icings, toilet tank repair Icings ("Hey Ben, can you check the tank on the back of the toilet? It's making a weird noise". Boom. Warm bottle of Smirnoff Ice in there), Scuba dive Icings, etc...Yes, it's immature and silly. Yes, it was also usually hilarious to witness. And yes, a warm bottle of Smirnoff Ice consumed speedily is one of the worst things that can happen to you in the middle of your Wednesday afternoon).

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

All I know is that, for whatever reason, in the circles in which I travel, after everyone toasts each other, it is considered rude or bad luck not to tap one's glass on the table before drinking. So it goes toast, tap, drink. Failure to do so elicits scorn. Why? I have no idea. Is this universal?

Also, and I suppose this is only tangentially related...when I used to live on the island of St John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, it was very common to "Ice" one's friends. That is, to present them -- at a random, surprise time and usually in a creative fashion -- with a very warm (or hot, given the tropical temperatures) Smirnoff Ice, with the rule being that, once presented with one, the recipient had no choice but to drop to one knee and speed-drink the entire beverage.

It's a dumb, sophomoric game, which proliferated on the island most likely because it's Neverland down there, and no one wants to grow up. I will admit -- I witnessed some pretty funny Icings. Drive-by Icings, toilet tank repair Icings ("Hey Ben, can you check the tank on the back of the toilet? It's making a weird noise". Boom. Warm bottle of Smirnoff Ice in there), Scuba dive Icings, etc...Yes, it's immature and silly. Yes, it was also usually hilarious to witness. And yes, a warm bottle of Smirnoff Ice consumed speedily is one of the worst things that can happen to you in the middle of your Wednesday afternoon).

I've never seen the table tap, but I've been a party to and victim of many Icings.

I was at the wedding of some friend's kids last summer and they had everybody leave the pavilion and go out for some fireworks and the couple's entrance, then when we came back in there was an Ice sitting at every single place-setting at the reception.

200 people all taking a knee to pound a Smirnoff was fantastic theater. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DrW said:

In and around the German city of Hannover, where I grew up, we have a very unusual way to consume beer, called the Lüttje Lage

I like this idea a lot.

Would it still be considered the Luttje Lage if you substituted a different kind of beer or cordial, or does Luttje Lage translate to those specific ingredients?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Logic said:

The toast and table tap is common in my social circle with taking shots. I don't know why we do it but we all do.

EDIT: I just googled it and apparently the table or bar tap is toasting the bar/house for their hospitality.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I like this idea a lot.

Would it still be considered the Luttje Lage if you substituted a different kind of beer or cordial, or does Luttje Lage translate to those specific ingredients?

Lüttje Lage is very specific. Even the beer (which is low-alcohol, 2.5-3.0%, brown and pretty "malty") is only used for this drink.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrW said:

Lüttje Lage is very specific. Even the beer (which is low-alcohol, 2.5-3.0%, brown and pretty "malty") is only used for this drink.

Would the proper pronunciation be something along the lines of "loot-jay lageh" with a hard "g"?

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

Would the proper pronunciation be something along the lines of "loot-jay lageh" with a hard "g"?

The "ü" sound is something we do not have in English. What comes closest might be the "o" in "worst". And the second syllable would "yay" instead of "jay". "lageh" is fine. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DrW said:

In and around the German city of Hannover, where I grew up, we have a very unusual way to consume beer, called the Lüttje Lage. You have two glasses, a larger one (still pretty small) with 0.1 liter (about 4 fl. oz.) of a brown beer, and a shot glass with 1/10 of the volume of "korn" (grain brandy). What makes this combination so special is that you drink the beer while the korn is flowing in your beer glass. Sounds complicated, but do not fret - there are many instructions to be found on the internet.

https://www.luettjelage.com/tutorial

What I found especially interesting is that they have instructions in languages of countries not allowing the use of alcohol.

One advantage I see from drinking this way - it is difficult to get really drunk. Once your coordination is compromised, you will spill most of the drink. 

Amy specific traditions in your location?

This sounds eerie similar to an Irish Car Bomb

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

You might want to hit Treehouse soon, they have some lawsuits flying between owners for basically embezzlement. I never got to hit it when we visited but we did hit Trillium, which was real good but too pricy for a regular place. If you ever come to Orlando  I can recommend several good places, depending on what you are looking for, though as you said the lesser breweries are dying off.