Fox Sports profile on Keon Coleman

On 5/21/2024 at 9:43 AM, HappyDays said:

Somewhat of a long read but worth your time.

One nugget that I found interesting:

There's a much publicized quote from Beane after the draft where he said something to the effect of "it will be hard for Coleman to start from day one." This is the messaging the team always puts out there for their rookies to hear. But he let slip their real plans in the chaos of draft weekend - Coleman is going to be the early favorite for the starting X receiver. And based on this article I think he's going to quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff and win that role.

Really interesting where the author did (and did NOT) project Coleman's value to be seen, schematically: 

"Both Diggs and Gabe Davis departed this offseason, leaving the Bills sorely lacking in the receiver room. Coleman will work toward getting a major share of the 241 targets that went to them last season.

He will work to become Allen's favorite target both inside and outside the structure of the Buffalo offense. The rookie receiver will fight for jump balls, he'll find holes in zone coverage, and he'll work his way toward Allen when the QB gets creative on the move. That'll all require rapport, and they're already planning to work out this offseason at Allen's place in Wyoming. 

Coleman's path to the No. 1 spot starts there."

No mention of winning against press-man coverage on the outside, which of course is the most persistent criticism of his college tape. 

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Help me out. Wasn't his actual ras 9.23? If so isn't that pretty good as far as athleticism is concerned?

I'd love for you to be right about this!

The way I see it, there are several possible outcomes for Coleman.

1) Bust

2) Significant disappointment

3) Stevie Johnson level play, ideally for at least 7 years in a Bills uniform.

4) Eric Moulds level play.

5) Hall of Fame level play.

I'd be happy with outcome 3). Not thrilled to the point where I'd be doing naked cartwheels down the street. Which perhaps is just as well, because I'm no good at cartwheels. But I'd be happy. Anything over and above outcome 3 is even better.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

1) Bust

I'd be happy with outcome 3). Not thrilled to the point where I'd be doing naked cartwheels down the street. Which perhaps is just as well, because I'm no good at cartwheels. But I'd be happy. Anything over and above outcome 3 is even better.

I think you'll be alright.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's an estimated score because he did not complete all of the drills 

Yet , his RAS, relative athletic score... Is over 8.1 which shows the type of athlete he is at his size 

Correct the size and athleticism is what makes him unique.  Not many football players play 2 sports in college or get recruited to play both at a power 5 school.  Has the tools and is being dropped into an elite passing game with an elite qb with 200 targets up for grab.  He will have a very impactful season.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 11:41 AM, HappyDays said:

It's May. Talk is all you'll get for a few months...

Doesn't alter the fact that talk is cheap though. 

Edited by PBF81

On 5/23/2024 at 3:42 AM, Rampant Buffalo said:

1) Bust

So he may be great, may be terrible, or may end up somewhere in between.  

Wow…I think that covers all the bases. 😂

On 5/21/2024 at 6:36 PM, Gugny said:

His philosophy with regard to rookies has been one of his most glaring flaws. 

Hoping he can let his arrogance stop getting in the way. 

This just isn’t true.  

2017-white, dawkins, jones, Milano all started (so did Peterman for about 30 minutes)

2018-Josh, Edmunds, Phillips, Johnson all started

2019-Oliver, Singletary, Ford, and Knox all started

2020-no starters

2021-Spencer brown started and I think Rousseau started some games as well

2022-Benford started

2023-Kincaid, Torrance started 

As our team has gotten better, it has gotten harder for rookies to earn a starting role.  Why ascribe the decision to not start rookies to arrogance?

Or, for that matter, which rookies should have started besides the ones I listed?

• Thank you (+1) 1