Should the Bills add an Edge after 6/1?

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree. Safety is fine and thank God Hamlin is probably gone. I do think Hyde would come back if needed and that gives me comfort come playoffs. He’s got a few good games left in him and would love for him to win a SB on this squad 

I’d rather have Hyde unpack the RV headed for the Keys than Klein. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

4th in sacks is so misleading.

As others pointed out, they had 9 against garbage Commanders.

Only 1 sack in two playoff games.

A lot of that was Miller being terrible and Floyd disappearing in Nov. 

DE and pass rush is biggest weakness on the team. Josh can cover up for the WR group to some extent. 

So other top sacking teams don’t pile up

sacks too on the Washington’s of the world? Interesting 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

So other top sacking teams don’t pile up

sacks too on the Washington’s of the world? Interesting 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sacks-in-an-nfl-game-by-a-team-2023

Well in fact mostly no... Seahawks had a game with 11 and they were 12th oveall and fun fact the Commanders also had a game with 9 ( they were 25th).  Chargers and Raiders had a game with 8 and they were 7th and 15th in total sacks.  Half the league had no higher than 6. 

So yes the Bills were the only top 5 team in sacks that had a single super high sack game and only one other top 10 team had a game with 8. So it looks like most of the top teams got to the QB more consistently. The Bills had one game that padded their stats to some extent. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sacks-in-an-nfl-game-by-a-team-2023

Well in fact mostly no... Seahawks had a game with 11 and they were 12th oveall and fun fact the Commanders also had a game with 9 ( they were 25th).  Chargers and Raiders had a game with 8 and they were 7th and 15th in total sacks.  Half the league had no higher than 6. 

So yes the Bills were the only top 5 team in sacks that had a single super high sack game and only one other top 10 team had a game with 8. So it looks like most of the top teams got to the QB more consistently. The Bills had one game that padded their stats to some extent. 

If the Bills had 3 less sacks in that Commanders game which with 6 sacks seems like a pretty "normal" "good" game then the Bills are still tied for 5th at 51 sacks. So your thesis that the Bills ranking is that inflated by one 9 sack game is just not holding up. 

Looking at the Bills sack by game it doesn't really look like the Bills just "fattened up" all that much on just one game. In fact looking at sacks per-game from games 1-8 and 9-17 while there is a better rate in the first 8 weeks it is not as dramatic as fans may think. 

Sacks from weeks 1-8 averaged the Bills averaged 3.5 sacks a game. From weeks 9-17 the Bills averaged 2.9 sacks per game. A 3.5 sack per game pace over 17 games a season would have been 59.5 sacks which would have been right around the lead league with Baltimore who had 60 sacks. A 2.9 sack per game sack per game pace is good for 49 sacks which would have been tied with the Browns for 6th still a very strong pace over the last 9 games of the season. The Bills basically went from a top 2 sack rate in weeks 1-8 down to a top 6 sack rate in weeks 9-17. A sack rate just outside the top 5 is still a very good sack rate and dam near elite. 

I think the difference was really just Floyd slowed down. Floyd had 6.5 sacks in weeks 1-8 vs. just 4 in weeks 9-17 which while not tragically dramatic is still significant. But what I really think showed how less effective Floyd was performing was Floyd's QB hits also went down dramatically from 12 in the first 8 weeks to just 7 on the back 9. Had Floyd been more consistent the gap in sacks and pass rush performance would have narrowed. 

Bills sack totals listed for visual reference. 

1. 3
  2. 0
  3. 9
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 3
  7. 1
  8. 3
  9. 1
  10. 4
  11. 6
  12. 2
  13. 1
  14. 3
  15. 5
  16. 3
  17. 1
Edited by billsfan89

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, DJB said:

Yes  if it’s financially feasible.

DE is our weakest position on the team as it stands. Von looked like a shell of himself and Roussea or anyone else hasn’t stepped up in the pass rush department.

If it makes sense I think Beane will do it 

My only hope for Von is he actually looked okay in the playoffs, the stats don't show it but he got pressure and looked like he finally had his legs under  him, I'm still not sure what to expect of him but it wouldn't shock me to see the Von qe saw pre injury.  

Which obviously changes everything. 

And Beane is on record saying Groot had a foot problem and they gave him his 5th year with no hesitation really 

AJ is coming off his best season as a pro and we got him back for a fair deal imo 

If them 3 do some damage, we still have Kingsley and the rookie Solomon to round out the rotation

Edited by JerseyBills

On 5/17/2024 at 11:10 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bills showed interest in Emmanuel Ogbah in a previous off-season and early in this one if I recall.

Calais Campbell would be a quality add.  Ngakoue as well

Campbell is getting old.  Ngakoue is the most logical choice, and is under the cap if we want to do it.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Campbell is getting old.  Ngakoue is the most logical choice, and is under the cap if we want to do it.

I think with the signing of Smoot I just don't see the Bills going after another vet. Smoot is guaranteed 1.75 million of his 2.5 million salary. He's actually a nice upgrade to Shaq for those 4/5 DE snaps. Smoot was a routine 5-6 sack player for the Jags from 2019-2022. The only reason he was available for such a relatively cheap deal was because his 2022 season in week 16 ended with an Achilles injury and he started 2023 on the PUP list and had a bad season. One more year removed from that injury and at just age 29 I think he will be a productive rotational DE.