Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

When did you last see an alligator shy from contact? I'll hang up and listen. 

People are trying to kindly tell you it's a common saying in America ("alligator arms"= short arm a catch, because afraid of upcoming hit/contact").

It's not a scientific saying or anything pertinent to the animal itself.  

If you misuse a common saying, you will likely be misunderstood.  

Like someone texting you they just got hurt in a car accident, and you text back "lol".  Without knowing that means what it does, you'd unintentionally be communicating an insult.

Similar to what you implied about Shakir, who does have short arms but certainly doesn't shy away from contact.  Unintentionally that's what you said.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

People are trying to kindly tell you it's a common saying in America ("alligator arms"= short arm a catch, because afraid of upcoming hit/contact").

It's not a scientific saying or anything pertinent to the animal itself.  

If you misuse a common saying, you will likely be misunderstood.  

Like someone texting you they just got hurt in a car accident, and you text back "lol".  Without knowing that means what it does, you'd unintentionally be communicating an insult.

Similar to what you implied about Shakir, who does have short arms but certainly doesn't shy away from contact.  Unintentionally that's what you said.

I can't be responsible for people misunderstanding based on nonsense. Sorry, it is what it is. Short arms, like an alligator. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Alligators have short arms.

I don't know why. Alligators have short arms. That is what Shakir has. Short arms. Like an alligator. I have never seen an alligator drop a football.

Alligators have short arms and it's okay to describe a short-armed receiver as having "alligator arms."

But when I grew up playing football, "alligator arms" was a colloquial expression for when a receiver didn't fully extend to catch a ball because he was afraid of being hit.  Sometimes, saying a receiver had "alligator arms" was akin to saying he was a coward.  Shakir is not a cowardly receiver.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I can't be responsible for people misunderstanding based on nonsense. Sorry, it is what it is. Short arms, like an alligator. 

You're missing the point, or should I say "misreading the crowd".

It's a common saying, if you want to misuse it that's up to you.  Just like you're not changing what "lol" means to millions of ppl

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You're missing the point, or should I say "misreading the crowd".

It's a common saying, if you want to misuse it that's up to you.  Just like you're not changing what "lol" means to millions of ppl

I don't care. There is zero logic for the common saying. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The logic is that his arms are short by choice, not by design.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ok.  That's not what ppl are trying to tell you though.

This isn't about logic...there are alot of sayings that aren't "logical".  

Someone says in football, "taking it to the house", that means scoring a touchdown.

Same as "alligator arms", implies avoiding contact as a receiver, on a given play(s)

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Ok.  That's not what ppl are trying to tell you though.

This isn't about logic...there are alot of sayings that aren't "logical".  

Someone says in football, "taking it to the house", that means scoring a touchdown.

Same as "alligator arms", implies avoiding contact as a receiver, on a given play(s)

I know what people are trying to tell me. I am not dim. I am telling them it is nonsensical. 

I mean no ill on Shakir but he has arms like an alligator.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

Gotta love the offseason: 20 posts with multiple people debating whether someone from a different continent is using an American turn of phrase correctly.

I have to fight the good fight with you lot 13 months of the year.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

Gotta love the offseason: 20 posts with multiple people debating whether someone from a different continent is using an American turn of phrase correctly.

Of course, that's what the offseason is for.

And whining about McD, Beane, lack of Wrs, playoff defense, etc.  😆

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know what people are trying to tell me. I am not dim. I am telling them it is nonsensical. 

I would love to know what arm sizes should be for a guy his size and style of play compared to actual size. 

can you at least explain that?

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Then why mention it?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would love to know what arm sizes should be for a guy his size and style of play compared to actual size. 

can you at least explain that?

He is in the 1st percentile among NFL receivers. 

Just now, Doc said:

Then why mention it?

Why mention what? I am not the one who started a debate over whether alligators or t-rex's are the right equivalent for short armed receivers. 

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

Was Ronnie Harmon before your time?

Most notable alligator arming in Bills history.

He played for the Bills when I was at an age where I'd have thought t-rex was cooler than an alligator.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why mention what? I am not the one who started a debate over whether alligators or t-rex's are the right equivalent for short armed receivers. 

You first mentioned his alligator arms. Why?  Why not mention his inseam?

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is in the 1st percentile among NFL receivers. 

Ive been looking for an article or a website that discusses this, its why I ask. Is this a pff thing?