Coleman Route Speeds

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

His contested catch win rate of 45% was 11th among prospects.

A lot of those contested catch opportunities were just bad and late throws by Jordan Travis that Coleman managed to get a hand on. That counts as a failed contested catch according to the metric. He can definitely win the 50/50 balls. Not 100% of the time mind you. That's why they're 50/50 balls. But last year we didn't have anyone in the WR room that could make those catches.

Just now, HappyDays said:

A lot of those contested catch opportunities were just bad and late throws by Jordan Travis that Coleman managed to get a hand on. That counts as a failed contested catch according to the metric. He can definitely win the 50/50 balls. Not 100% of the time mind you. That's why they're 50/50 balls. But last year we didn't have anyone in the WR room that could make those catches.

Hell, half of them couldn't catch when it was just them.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

hoping this kid can pick it up quickly...get adam henry in his ear as much as possible and maybe we found mike evans comp

That's a good comp, although Coleman isn't as big as Evans was coming out so he can't physically dominate CBs quite to that level. But it's funny, if you read Mike Evans scouting report it's almost identical:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-evans/32004556-4153-4309-b2ed-6b8233f6fea5

Strengths

Outstanding size and length. Functionally strong to power through the jam. Boxes out defenders and is a big red-zone target. Hardwood background is evident -- outstanding leaper with "above-the-rim" skills to go over top of smaller DBs and highpoint throws. Creates late, subtle separation. Tracks and adjusts. Makes contested grabs -- attacks throws and outmuscles defenders in a crowd. Nearly unstoppable executing back-shoulder catches. Strong, reliable hands. Very strong after the catch -- slams into tacklers, is a load to bring down and leans for extra yardage. Productive playmaker -- averaged 20 yards per catch in 2013 and showed up in big games (18-566-5 vs. Alabama and Auburn). Good blocker. Physically dominant and tough. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

Weaknesses

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, warrior9 said:

No man, he's slow... can't separate.

We needed a 6'1 170 pound receiver that is so good that our GM traded out of the spot instead of taking him. 

I think I trust Andy Reids and every other fanbases reaction over Beane anf tbd Homers.  It was a major wtf moment 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Malazan already decisively demonstrated that 40 times don't correlate with NFL success.  So why are we still arguing if Coleman is fast or not?

It doesn't seem a particularly vital question.  Guys with his speed and slower have succeeded in the NFL.  But will Coleman?  That's the question that matters.  

Personally, I have no idea.  But I like his attitude.  He said the right things in his first interview as a Bill and has already reached out to Andre Reed for advice.  Seems like he's got his head on straight and is ready to work.  I'm rooting for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I don't know the drill...and don't really watch combine stuff.  However, I think I understand what the poster's concern is about not jogging and running out of bounds.  It would be the equivalent to timing baseball players to see how fast they could steal second.  They would be clocked from 1st to 2nd.  Most would slide or slow up before getting to second so they don't go past the bag.  If one player just ran full out and blew by the bag, he would have the fastest time, but he did the drill wrong.  It's supposed to simulate stealing a base and if you just run past it, you'd be out in a game.  The poster is saying that in the drill Coleman ran the point is to not go out of bounds (so players slow up to prevent from doing so) but by Coleman blowing past the sidelines he gets a faster time but does not accomplish the goal of the drill.

What you say about baseball is true in your baseball example.  But it is not analogous or instructive here.  If Coleman's gauntlet time was aided by the fact that he mistakenly went out of bounds, they would have thrown out the time and made him do it over.  Like a false start in the 40 yard dash.  Going out of bounds did not help his Gauntlet time.  And the original poster did not suggest that it did - he was just deriding Coleman for making a mistake.  The time he ran is his time.  The mistake was perhaps a dumb mistake, but it didn't, couldn't, aid his time.  They would never allow him to compare favorably to other prospects based on an inadvertent "cheat" like running full speed past second base even if it was an ineffective baseball move (because the runner would be out at second).  They posted the combine time that Coleman earned, and that happened to be the fastest.  There is no way around that.