Would the Chiefs had ended up with Worthy without the trade with the Bills?

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Sounds like a real: Cut off my nose to spite my face mentality!

In the first ten minutes, many in the media were shocked, but also many articles stated once you actually think about it, it was very good move by the Bills,  They got who they wanted and got extra picks.

It’s how I feel at the moment but I do need to reevaluate in a few weeks. I’m miserable right now with work stress and it may be clouding my judgment.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It’s how I feel at the moment but I do need to reevaluate in a few weeks. I’m miserable right now with work stress and it may be clouding my judgment.

Well at least you're sitting in first class.  No where else do you get actual silverware!  It can't be that bad!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

49 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Well we all know DeWayne Carter is going to be a hof DT but they play different positions. Jaden Hicks and Cole Bishop are both safeties so they’re more relevant comparison. So imagine giving KC the opportunity to pick Worthy and he turns out great. Then with the next pick they got from Buffalo select a better player than Buffalo did while picking 73 spots later for the same position. You know that’s something the media would definitely lean into. 

I think the larger point is who gets the better player with the exchanged draft picks; the pick we got from KC or the pick they got from us. But your mileage may vary and that’s perfectly ok. 

I've given my fair-share of criticism towards the Bills over the last few days.

But all this whining and crying over the Chiefs/Xavier Worthy is short-sighted and ridiculous.

No disrespect to their franchise as a whole.  But outside of Tyreek Hill and maybe Rashee Rice (who was looking OK the end of last season), the Kansas City Chiefs have been one of the worst drafting teams in the entire NFL when it comes to the Wide Receiver position.  Chris Conley, DeMarcus Robinson, Jehu Chesson, Mecole Hardman, Skyy Moore.   Not to mention trading for Kadarius Toney.  This fear that Andy Reid is going to develop Worthy into some kind of unstoppable force is not rooted in fact or reality.

Also, in my 30+ years watching football, I've seen zero correlation between lightning fast 40-Time runners and success at the WR position.  That's why I wasn't personally high on Worthy.  Being a track star does not make you a great receiver.  There are hundreds, if not thousands of examples.

And yes, the chances the Chiefs would still end up with Worthy (without us trading) are pretty good.  Very possibly at 32 without it costing them any other draft capitol.  Baltimore and Dallas weren't taking a receiver, so the Chiefs could have worked a trade with either to move up too.  Maybe San Francisco takes Worthy instead of Ricky Pearsall, but they seem to value versatility more than pure one-dimensional speed. 

So basically, fans would have been happier if the Bills just stayed put at 32.  Drafted Keon Coleman five spots earlier.  Not moved up an entire round later in the draft from the 4th to 3rd Round.  And then just let the Chiefs pick their guy anyway without a trade-up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 90sBills said:

But they gave KC their 4th round pick at #133 so really swapping picks not gaining an extra pick. KC used that #133 pick on Jaden Hicks. If he turns out to be a better db than Cole Bishop, whom the Bills took with pick #60, then we’ll never hear the end of this trade from the media. 

The best prospects (not necessarily the best actual NFLers) are found in the Top 100.  Going into the draft, the Bills had 2 picks in the Top 100, #28 and  #60.  They came out of Day 1 with #33, #60, #95.   If the Bills hadn't traded back, they probably would have still taken Bishop at #60 but KC would have gotten somebody, maybe  maybe somebody a lot better than HIcks, with #95.

9 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Point blank, you don't help your biggest rival move up. Don't care who they end up moving up for. This is the part that Bills fans cannot grasp that everyone else does.

Don't assume to speak for all Bills fans.  I have no problem with the Bills getting KC's third round pick when the Bills had no interest in Worthy, the player the Chiefs wanted.  

The Worthy talk is such a loser mentality, and media saying teams “shouldn’t do business” with their rivals is hogwash.

BEANE DIDN’T WANT WORTHY.  If KC wanted him that badly they would have gotten him anyway, as the OP suggests.

Who friggin’ cares?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

The best prospects (not necessarily the best actual NFLers) are found in the Top 100.  Going into the draft, the Bills had 2 picks in the Top 100, #28 and  #60.  They came out of Day 1 with #33, #60, #95.   If the Bills hadn't traded back, they probably would have still taken Bishop at #60 but KC would have gotten somebody, maybe  maybe somebody a lot better than HIcks, with #95.

Like I said, for their sake, Bishop better be a better pro than Hicks. 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:16 PM, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I think we can only know for sure that they had Coleman higher than Legette (knew Carolina was taking him) and McConkey (didn’t pick him when they had the chance). 

They didn’t know who KC or San Fran would pick when they made the trade.

Theoretically they may have had Worthy and Pearsall higher.

I think this is doubtful because just like last year, when they took Kincaid, they took the guy that Josh Allen specifically identified as the one he wanted. They are clearly listening to Allen, and given Kincaid's performance last year and his obvious ability, they're probably wise to do so.

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don’t put any stock in that rumor. Jerry Jones loved Worthy from Texas so much, he passed on him at 24 and traded down to 29, where once again, he loved him so much he didn’t want to move up one lousy spot in the draft to get him. 

KC was getting Worthy at 32, regardless, and if the Bills had traded down with anyone else at 28 nobody would give a crap and this absurd narrative never would have taken hold. 

Totally. If he loved him, he would absolutely have taken him at 24. I think they were looking o-line all the way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this is doubtful because just like last year, when they took Kincaid, they took the guy that Josh Allen specifically identified as the one he wanted. They are clearly listening to Allen, and given Kincaid's performance last year and his obvious ability, they're probably wise to do so.

You may be right, but that said, Josh apparently had a “wishLIST of receivers,” as opposed to just Coleman.

That list could have consisted of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas and Coleman. This would have made Coleman the choice by default.

I think it more likely to have included one or two more names, because how else would Beane have felt comfortable to trade down if there was only one name left? 

I would bet good money that Josh’s list include at least one, if not both, of Worthy and Pearsall, in addition to Coleman.