The "who I would've drafted instead" re-draft, 2024 edition. Are you smarter than the GM?

Logic

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Because he was injured.  Let’s see him healthy.  

LOL

If he's been injured for three seasons, where would you place the odds that he makes it through this season?  

Might yet be a few seasons before he's healthy.  Even then, what, he's a shoe-in?

Look at all the hype over the signing of Harty last season.  

15 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

The comparison is valid, though I would think many here have more football knowledge than knowledge on how to make a tadpole find an egg.

Just saying.....

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Hilarious. I’ve been begging to draft a WR for 3 years. I’m on record this off-season debating hard against taking Coleman with @Alphadawg7 and @HappyDays predraft. 

I actually have courage in my convictions, rather than saying our WR room is solved by Hamler (who cannot stay healthy at the NFL this far) and has 12 rec in 3 seasons combined and Shorter, an unproductive college WR who was a stashed fifth rounder last year. 

Your analysis is post-hoc to a T. The moves we did were great because we did them. No one was arguing Shorter and Hamler solved our problems 4 days ago lol

No need to argue with this guy. He’ll always back the GM and HC and their decisions because he’s a Bills Homer. He will go down with the sinking ship that is McBeane

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL

If he's been injured for three seasons, where would you place the odds that he makes it through this season?  

Might yet be a few seasons before he's healthy.  Even then, what, he's a shoe-in?

Look at all the hype over the signing of Harty last season.  

Yes. The same people that are fans of these moves are the same people that thought Harty was all the sudden going to be some phenom with Allen throwing him the ball. What a joke that was. There wasn’t a lot, but there were definitely people that knew this wouldn’t be successful. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yes. The same people that are fans of these moves are the same people that thought Harty was all the sudden going to be some phenom with Allen throwing him the ball. What a joke that was. There wasn’t a lot, but there were definitely people that knew this wouldn’t be successful. 

It's comical.  People here change their minds essentially from one day to the next based upon what McBeane do.  

Nothin' new, been going on for decades.  But it is hilarious.   Imagine where this team would be sans Allen.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah I mean..it's a game. It's supposed to be for fun. I was not seriously suggesting that anyone here would be a better GM than Brandon Beane. It's more of a "how would your draft class of choice stack up against the pros" kind of thing.

You have to admit, lots of high drama on TBD; the funny thing if many got their way and fired "McBeane" they would shortly be on a new "fire everybody" bandwagon. This board attracts drama like moths to a flame!

Edited by amprov56

16 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

hahaha.  except NFL drafting is hardly a science. They've been screwing it up for so long, despite better data.  See EJ, Mike Williams, Elam, Basham, Brady, Purdy, etc...

When you know you don't have access to the right data, you have to employ other strategies besides pure trust in your analysis. 

16 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd like to start a new tradition here on Two Bills Drive. 

The premise is simple. I want everyone who's interested in testing their drafting acumen against Brandon Beane's to list who theywould have chosen at each spot, based on who was available in real life, compared to who the Bills actually chose.

I'll list where the Bills picked, who they picked in real life, and then who I would have picked. And I'd like each person who wants to participate to do the same. You can copy and paste the Bills picks and then post your own chosen player next to it (using the link below and picking only players who were available at that pick), unless you'd rather stick with who the Bills picked.

The only rule is that you have to pick where the Bills actually picked. You can't undo a trade-down they made, and you can't invent a new trade-down or trade-up. You have to stick with the real draft slots that the Bills picked from.

We can check back on this in future years and compare our own preferences to who Beane picked. A chance for each of us to put our money where our mouth is.

Here's the listing of everyone picked in the 2024 NFL draft and where, for easy reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_NFL_draft

I'll start:

Bills 2024 draft class:

Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah

Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

Pick 168: DE Javon Solomon, Troy

Pick 204: T Tylan Grable, UCF

Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Pick 221: G Travis Clayton, International Player Pathway

Who I would've picked instead:

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah (same as Bills)

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

Pick 128: CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (same as Bills)

Pick 160: RB Tyron Tracy Jr, Purdue

Pick 168: DE Javon Soloman, Troy (same as Bills)

Pick 204: OG Christian Mahogany, Boston College

Pick 219: WR Brendan Rice, USC

Pick 221: CB MJ Devonshire, Pitt

Like your draft better.  I wouldn't have gone McConkey (another slot) at 33 except that you were committed to adding an X in Rd 3.

3 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

hahaha.  except NFL drafting is hardly a science. They've been screwing it up for so long, despite better data.  See EJ, Mike Williams, Elam, Basham, Brady, Purdy, etc...

When you know you don't have access to the right data, you have to employ other strategies besides pure trust in your analysis. 

Like your draft better.  I wouldn't have gone McConkey (another slot) at 33 except that you were committed to adding an X in Rd 3.

You can say the same of every team.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

You have to admit, lots of high drama on TBD; the funny thing if many got their way and fired "McBeane" they would shortly be on a new "fire everybody" bandwagon. This board attracts drama like moths to a flame!

Ya think?  

If we had someone in charge that chose to build around Allen rather than his pet D it's a tough argument to suggest that we wouldn't be a better team.  No?  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Ya think?  

If we had someone in charge that chose to build around Allen rather than his pet D it's a tough argument to suggest that we wouldn't be a better team.  No?  

Fire everybody!!!

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Fire everybody!!!

Too much of a reach for you to consider that if we had some actual offensive braintrust on this team that our offense might be significantly more consistent and therefore better?  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Too much of a reach for you to consider that if we had some actual offensive braintrust on this team that our offense might be significantly more consistent and therefore better?  

Unfortunately those of you who continually shriek for more offense fail to understand that you still have to stop your opponents from scoring more than you meaning you need a defense. Not saying the offense dies not need to be better but the team has other needs too, it’s a football thing!

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I still say fire everyone!

18 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Unfortunately those of you who continually shriek for more offense fail to understand that you still have to stop your opponents from scoring more than you meaning you need a defense. Not saying the offense dies not need to be better but the team has other needs too, it’s a football thing!

Like we do in the playoffs.  If regular season is your thing, great.  Otherwise, I would agree.  When you're one of the worst defenses in the playoffs perenially it's an issue.  

The solutions can be argued.  But arguing that it makes more sense to build around a D than it does around Allen is dubious and questionable at best.  

Imagine if Purdy, Burrow, Tua, Goff, and Prescott didn't have the WRs that they do.  

Better yet, imagine Allen in their offensive situations.  Or not, your call.  :) 

Not sure if it’s allowed, but I wanted BTJ and would have traded up once he lasted into the 20s.

Coleman could work out, but from all the scouting I’ve read about him, it seems like he’d be a better slot receiver than X.

• Like (+1) 1

Why do the same posters just jump into a thread intended to be a fun exercise, just to sh*t on the GM with no intention of taking part in the exercise.

Are people that triggered by Bean they can’t pass up an opportunity to pounce, that must suck to be carrying that around.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Like we do in the playoffs.  If regular season is your thing, great.  Otherwise, I would agree.  When you're one of the worst defenses in the playoffs perenially it's an issue.  

The solutions can be argued.  But arguing that it makes more sense to build around a D than it does around Allen is dubious and questionable at best.  

Imagine if Purdy, Burrow, Tua, Goff, and Prescott didn't have the WRs that they do.  

Better yet, imagine Allen in their offensive situations.  Or not, your call.  :) 

Not saying you don’t need an offense but you need a defense too. I guess it’s more of a generational thing as I don’t get emotional like many do. I am happy with having a perennial playoff team and I live out of New York, between North Carolina and Tennessee. Many non Bills fans share my view and those in North Carolina would take “McBeane” in a second. We have an exciting football team that people love to watch, I get it. We will just have to agree to disagree. I think we have taken this to a conclusion have a great week!

1 minute ago, julian said:

Why do the same posters just jump into a thread intended to be a fun exercise, just to sh*t on the GM with no intention of taking part in the exercise.

Are people that triggered by Bean they can’t pass up an opportunity to pounce, that must suck to be carrying that around.

I’m with you all the way!!

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don’t want to let you down, fire everybody!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Not saying you don’t need an offense but you need a defense too. I guess it’s more of a generational thing as I don’t get emotional like many do. I am happy with having a perennial playoff team and I live out of New York, between North Carolina and Tennessee. Many non Bills fans share my view and those in North Carolina would take “McBeane” in a second. We have an exciting football team that people love to watch, I get it. We will just have to agree to disagree. I think we have taken this to a conclusion have a great week!

Please stop with the childish fire everybody stuff.  It's beneath you, particularly when you say that you don't get emotional.  That's purely an emotional response.  

As to the rest, I don't get emotional either.  It's difficult finding people to discuss with that do not.  

Where we differ is that I'm not merely content with an amusing season anymore.  I'd like to see a championship.  At the very minimum I'd like to see our best in the playoffs, but that's far from what we've gotten, particularly with a top-ranked defense during the regular season and one that plays like a bottom-10 ranked D in the playoffs, yes, statistically.  

Have a great week as well!  :)