NFL looking into an 18-game season and having the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend.

Gregg

If you look at a calendar….

91 days for sept- nov—13 weeks

62 for Dec/Jan— 9 weeks

they should have 18 g , 2 byes snd 4 weeks of playoffs…division winners get byes

You add in 2 weekend in august for 20+4=24.  
thrn off wek

and duperboel

the year Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday…the SB does not occur on that day. They start earlier or its the SB bye week 

The game will soon be unrecognizable with rule changes and schedule expansion. Park avenue seems to have lost sight of the fact that what made the NFL successful was that every game was meaningful. 

The health dangers of football will eventually turn the sport into boxing where only the very poor or desperate will take part. Aaron Donald's retiring in his prime is instructive.

What will become of the blue collar fan bases like ours when the only way to get a seat will be with a PSL? Attending a game is already becoming a fashion show for the rich. And what of the culture of tailgating and super fans? The fun of the fans is what has made the gameday experience meaningful for a long time now. 

That sports will collapse under the weight of gambling related corruption is inevitable. Only then will we realize that greed can destroy everything we hold dear. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't know how many times I need to say it, but...the NFL is Icarus.

1000_F_574234491_ajk2W6MYHXdMqOhuVCyaanv

how so?

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The health dangers of football will eventually turn the sport into boxing where only the very poor or desperate will take part.

say what? boxing is only for the very poor?  wealthy star athletic kids will not want to play in the NFL some day.....because of "health dangers"?

you think this is something they have not already considered?

20 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

At least 18 games is better numerically.

16 games was perfect.

In more ways than one.

It would eliminate the stupidity of team finishing second in Div A playing second in Div B and so on. Much easier to do the following:

- 6 division games

- 4 games v one AFC division (rotate every 3 years)

- 8 games v two NFC divisions (rotate every 2 years)

Adds up 18. Simples.

Conference record for tie breakers is simplified as well (7-3, 6-4, 5-5....)

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who exactly is clamoring for more regular season football? It's too long as it is. I don't want to watch playoff games where the best players are out due to the grind of the season.

That happens regardless of the length of the season...

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how so?

They'll never leave well enough alone.

They'll never say "ya know what? We have the most popular sport in the country, people love it, it's a great product, let's quit messing with it".

They'll keep making decisions in the name of money, not of fan experience or player safety. Decisions that water down the product and make it less enjoyable to watch.

Decisions like adding Thursday night games, adding two extra games, pricing regular fans out of the stadiums. Decisions like having to pretend they actually DO care about player safety to cover their asses for the Thursday night games and extra games, by doing things like legislating any and all violence out of the game.

My point is: The NFL will never be happy. They'll just keep expanding, reforming, and tinkering in the name of making more and more and more money, and as they do so, the product will continue to get worse.

Their never ending greed will be their demise.

Like Icarus, they will fly too close to the sun, and their wings will burn.

Edited by Logic

58 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The game will soon be unrecognizable with rule changes and schedule expansion. Park avenue seems to have lost sight of the fact that what made the NFL successful was that every game was meaningful. 

The health dangers of football will eventually turn the sport into boxing where only the very poor or desperate will take part. Aaron Donald's retiring in his prime is instructive.

What will become of the blue collar fan bases like ours when the only way to get a seat will be with a PSL? Attending a game is already becoming a fashion show for the rich. And what of the culture of tailgating and super fans? The fun of the fans is what has made the gameday experience meaningful for a long time now. 

That sports will collapse under the weight of gambling related corruption is inevitable. Only then will we realize that greed can destroy everything we hold dear. 

Unfortunately football is not exempt from the pursuit of the dollar above all else that plagues just about every facet of our lives. This was always the inevitable outcome as it is with all things that are highly successful.

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

They'll never leave well enough alone.

They'll never say "ya know what? We have the most popular sport in the country, people love it, it's a great product, let's quit messing with it".

They'll keep making decisions in the name of money, not of fan experience or player safety. Decisions that water down the product and make it less enjoyable to watch.

Decisions like adding Thursday night games, adding two extra games, pricing regular fans out of the stadiums. Decisions like having to pretend they actually DO care about player safety to cover their asses for the Thursday night games and extra games, by doing things like legislating any and all violence out of the game.

My point is: The NFL will never be happy. They'll just keep expanding, reforming, and tinkering in the name of making more and more and more money, and as they do so, the product will continue to get worse.

Their never ending greed will be their demise.

Like Icarus, they will fly too close to the sun, and their wings will burn.

how long have we been hearing that?

They went to 17 and the game is more popular than ever.

Every major sports league exists to provide entertainment and make as much money as possible--why should the one that does it far better than any other league be singles out?  Name any business that has ever said "ok we've made enough money, let's not try to make any more.  we're good"?

Players are clearly on board with more money--why should you be concerned with their health if they aren't?  They are the ones assuming the risks with full understanding of the risks/benefits/alternatives.  

As for the "fan experience"--the ratings speak for themselves.  Fans simply cannot get enough of the NFL.  

These "the NFL is ruining itself with greed" post never made any sense---any and all evidence proves it's false.  You know that you are going to watch 18, 20 regular season games.  No one is going to stop watching during the season.  Why pretend otherwise?

Give me all the NFL...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

how long have we been hearing that?

They went to 17 and the game is more popular than ever.

Every major sports league exists to provide entertainment and make as much money as possible--why should the one that does it far better than any other league be singles out?  Name any business that has ever said "ok we've made enough money, let's not try to make any more.  we're good"?

Players are clearly on board with more money--why should you be concerned with their health if they aren't?  They are the ones assuming the risks with full understanding of the risks/benefits/alternatives.  

As for the "fan experience"--the ratings speak for themselves.  Fans simply cannot get enough of the NFL.  

These "the NFL is ruining itself with greed" post never made any sense---any and all evidence proves it's false.  You know that you are going to watch 18, 20 regular season games.  No one is going to stop watching during the season.  Why pretend otherwise?

Give me all the NFL...

The NFL's obsession with the latter has, in my opinion, recently been leading to a reduction in the former, and I believe it will continue to do so.

More games (and Thursday night games) lead to more injuries and an inferior product on the field.

MORE is not always BETTER. Adding inventory does not always improve the product. Often, it waters it down. That's what I believe is slowly but surely happening. I agree that there hasn't been a turning point yet. The wave hasn't crested. But I believe that it will.

We can agree to disagree. You can enjoy your 20 game seasons where 14 backup QBs are starting by week 17, and I'll continue to think that the NFL is great as is and they should really stop tinkering with it.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

The NFL's obsession with the latter has, in my opinion, recently been leading to a reduction in the former, and I believe it will continue to do so.

More games (and Thursday night games) lead to more injuries and an inferior product on the field.

MORE is not always BETTER. Adding inventory does not always improve the product. Often, it waters it down. That's what I believe is slowly but surely happening. I agree that there hasn't been a turning point yet. The wave hasn't crested. But I believe that it will.

We can agree to disagree. You can enjoy your 20 game seasons where 14 backup QBs are starting by week 17, and I'll continue to think that the NFL is great as is and they should really stop tinkering with it.

Based on....what?  You can't point to anything to support your personal concern.  93 of the top 100 broadcasts in 2023 were NFL games.  3 were college games. 1 was the Thanksgiving Day parade.  No doubt the Friday draft ratings will dwarf all NBA/NHL playoffs game ratings---just one round of then draft.

Was it really that long ago that countless posts on this very board were predicting the downfall of the NFL because of concerns over CTE?  Or that wealthy (I'm assuming they meant white) kids would just stop playing football and the talent pool would dry up?  

Also, in week 17 (game 16), there were 6 backup QBs subbing for injured QBs---all of whom were injured weeks to months before game 16.  

I get your personal opinion on this, but your predictions aren't based on facts.