NFL gives players the option to wear guardian shells during games.

Beast

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

With this, the major kickoff changes, going to 17 and probably 18 games... it's like a new game. Most of the previous records will be meaningless. No one comes close to popularity of the NFL in the US. Why trying to fix something that isn't broken?

Though I liked the padded helmets for practices, the limitation of practices overall and of padded contact practices, making players come off for a concussion tests, and many other changes. This seems overkill.

I think they’re trying to fix the broken brains.

Guardian helmets in Pop Warner and HS are starting to become a lot more popular. This is likely just sort of getting ahead of it. I suspect NCAA programs will also start soon 

21 hours ago, Beast said:

He would be stupid not to.  He will forever be at risk of head injury due to his history now, most of the time the cap thing won't really bother him as a QB, and they do help (a little) at energy reduction in a hit/collision.

At first it might a taboo thing around the league but you watch....in time tons of guys (the smart ones) will be wearing these things, unless they really bother the players when playing, which is something I know nothing about.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

He would be stupid not to.  He will forever be at risk of head injury due to his history now, most of the time the cap thing won't really bother him as a QB, and they do help (a little) at energy reduction in a hit/collision.

At first it might a taboo thing around the league but you watch....in time tons of guys (the smart ones) will be wearing these things, unless they really bother the players when playing, which is something I know nothing about.

I don’t disagree and I’m sure the look of them will evolve when the product starts to be seen on television. If they look more stylish the stigma of wearing one will go away. Sounds stupid but it’s reality. Players want to look cool.

Edited by Beast

18 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, this right here, players also use substantially smaller pads than was common some years ago, are the pads better nowadays, or is it driven by fashion?

Driven by competitive edge. The pads are smaller but more protective. Players over the last 10 years have been indoctrinated with mobility and calisthenic fitness over shear power and dynamic strength. 

It never made sense for a defender to wear large pads to allow more surface area.  Offensive skill positions which must move through tackles and breaks also value this. 

Some NT's and OL still have big wide pads but the large pads block movement and were always a hindrance 

• Like (+1) 1

Is there research behind these helmets, or just a seems right?

It seems the extra padding would exaggerate head movement on impact--maybe leading to neck injuries. My memory of Physics is 40 years old--does this helmet change the moment.