Diggs trade aftermath...what this means for the offense, draft, other WR's still here...

5 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Given the increased potential of a trade up, who would you like us to go after?   I'm personally a fan of both LSU guys but realize Nabors would be far too expensive to get to.

I have a crush and hope (sliver of a hope) that somehow Odunze/Nabers slips into the teens.  I think for it to happen, a series of things probably needs to happen.  First, we need a big QB run in the first 15 picks, at least 4 and probably 5 would be better.  Second, we need Bowers to go before Odunze.  Third, we probably need a WR need team to foolishly fall in love with Worthy's 40 time and take him over Odunze/Nabers.  

But I do think both go in the top 15, so that brings me back to Thomas, but I don't think a trade up comes into Beane's radar on him until maybe 20, possibly late teens.  I would think though that if Odunze/Nabers got past say 15, then he might start making some calls on a bigger move up.  

I don't know he trades up for anyone else TBH.  So many options will still be there at 28 at that point.  

• Agree 1

I think Beane knew that Davis and Diggs had become too easy to cover. Teams could send db's on the blitz (Cinci playoff and KC under Spagnola) without paying. The next steps are guys who can make a defense respect them and open up space for the offense particularly the TE.  One of the speed guys like Mitchell will make the corners move back. Samuel has wheels too. If they double up at wr, someone who beats man coverage like McConkey is intriguing.    

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have a crush and hope (sliver of a hope) that somehow Odunze/Nabers slips into the teens.  I think for it to happen, a series of things probably needs to happen.  First, we need a big QB run in the first 15 picks, at least 4 and probably 5 would be better.  Second, we need Bowers to go before Odunze.  Third, we probably need a WR need team to foolishly fall in love with Worthy's 40 time and take him over Odunze/Nabers.  

But I do think both go in the top 15, so that brings me back to Thomas, but I don't think a trade up comes into Beane's radar on him until maybe 20, possibly late teens.  I would think though that if Odunze/Nabers got past say 15, then he might start making some calls on a bigger move up.  

I don't know he trades up for anyone else TBH.  So many options will still be there at 28 at that point.  

Thanks for the input. Makes sense and logical conclusion. Matches what I feel as well. I have to watch more of Odunze, I'm totally not giving him his due.

13 hours ago, 90sBills said:

That formula only works for Mahomes and KC. Bills need multiple all pro receivers otherwise it’s ‘not giving Allen weapons’. 

With a strong OL and an OC who knows how to scheme guys open, you don't need receivers better than the ones we have right now.  The problems are: (1) we have maybe an okay line, not a strong one, and (2) I'm not convinced Brady knows how to scheme guys open.  

16 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Thanks for the input. Makes sense and logical conclusion. Matches what I feel as well. I have to watch more of Odunze, I'm totally not giving him his due.

You should.  I honestly think he could end up being the best WR of the 3.  The dude just goes gets the ball.  IMO he is the most complete WR in the draft top to bottom.   Now that doesn't mean he can't still be a bust or what not, I mean the NFL is littered with guys who either never were as good as they were hyped to be (Like Jerry Jeudy for example) or just were a total bust.  But as we sit now, I feel like he is the most complete WR in the draft.  

I like Nabers too, he reminds of Diggs TBH.  But if both guys were on the board and the Bills were on the clock, I would take Odunze, I think he brings more to the table in Buffalo because he will still be as dangerous in bad weather as good weather.  His ball skills are the best in the draft IMHO.  

Things I like - 

They are being built to play in december and january. Kincaid and Knox are a real 1-2 punch that can grind games out in the end of season.  Hoping a healthy knox can return to form and be a red zone weapon again, and Kincaid can keep the chains moving.  I like them to add an offensive lineman in this draft, hopefully someone in the nasty mold.  Open to a late round running back as well - I have no issues with cook, but sometimes you can find a gem if you actually give them a chance to play and develop (not sign Murray).  

Things I don't like - 

Not only are we weak at the top of the depth chart, but we have like 0 depth at WR.  There will be 2 WR's selected in the draft this season who will play meaningful roles - and there will be lumps there.  I really do like Shakir as a player - he reminds me a bit of nacua and that guys solid.  Curtis Samuel is an interesting piece... but he's just a piece of the puzzle kinda guy.  Hollins is your #5/6 special teams guy.  There's like 3 open spots - there's no way its as good as a unit that had the same 2 guys in it for 4 years.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You should.  I honestly think he could end up being the best WR of the 3.  The dude just goes gets the ball.  IMO he is the most complete WR in the draft top to bottom.   Now that doesn't mean he can't still be a bust or what not, I mean the NFL is littered with guys who either never were as good as they were hyped to be (Like Jerry Jeudy for example) or just were a total bust.  But as we sit now, I feel like he is the most complete WR in the draft.  

I like Nabers too, he reminds of Diggs TBH.  But if both guys were on the board and the Bills were on the clock, I would take Odunze, I think he brings more to the table in Buffalo because he will still be as dangerous in bad weather as good weather.  His ball skills are the best in the draft IMHO.  

The guy that reminds me of Diggs is Jermaine Burton. With his character flaws he could fall to Round 4 or some team will look past him and take him in Round 2 or 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 90sBills said:

It wasn’t meant to be sarcasm. The quotes were quoting what most here say. Yes I agree that the WR room needs an upgrade. Even more so now that Diggs is gone.

My response was to the poster that said we can win with scrub receivers like KC did because we have Allen.  We can all see that is not true given what has played out. No snark intended.

Yes, we agree. I apologize for misunderstanding. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think if the Bills draft a WR at pick 28 or 60 and another in the mid-rounds for depth they should be fine at WR without Diggs. Shakir and Samuel are good players and Kincaid/Knox at TE provides some additional punch. Add in a high draft pick to spread out some targets to and a mid-round pick to help in case of injury along with Hollins and Shorter I think you can piece together a solid pass catching unit esp with Cook and Ty good pass catching backs out the backfield. 

If I were Beane (and thankfully I am not) I would (assuming a trade down isn't there) take the best WR at pick 28 and then a good guard at pick 60. Solidify the WR/Oline group around Josh and take a RB in round 6 and an additional WR in round 5 and use the rest of the picks on defense. I don't want to ***** around with Josh in his prime. You traded Diggs for a good selection in 2025 and for future flexibility you plug your offensive holes high up and you let McD work the mid-rounds to solidify the defense. 

9 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Things I like - 

They are being built to play in december and january. Kincaid and Knox are a real 1-2 punch that can grind games out in the end of season.  Hoping a healthy knox can return to form and be a red zone weapon again, and Kincaid can keep the chains moving.  I like them to add an offensive lineman in this draft, hopefully someone in the nasty mold.  Open to a late round running back as well - I have no issues with cook, but sometimes you can find a gem if you actually give them a chance to play and develop (not sign Murray).  

Things I don't like - 

Not only are we weak at the top of the depth chart, but we have like 0 depth at WR.  There will be 2 WR's selected in the draft this season who will play meaningful roles - and there will be lumps there.  I really do like Shakir as a player - he reminds me a bit of nacua and that guys solid.  Curtis Samuel is an interesting piece... but he's just a piece of the puzzle kinda guy.  Hollins is your #5/6 special teams guy.  There's like 3 open spots - there's no way its as good as a unit that had the same 2 guys in it for 4 years.  

I'm not saying we can count on it, but just a point that we did sign 2 rookie WR last season: 5th round pick Justin Shorter, and UDFA Tyrell Shavers.  Shavers spent the season on the PS; he mostly made his name in college as a ST ace.  Shorter spent the season on IR except for a 3 week "designated to return" stint.  He has OK speed (4.55), close to a 3' vertical, long arms and big hands.

Now I'm not saying that we're going to get something out of Shorter.  He was a top recruit out of HS who failed to entirely live up to his potential in college - he struggled with drops and injuries.  But I will say, our draft picks have surprised me before, so don't entirely write him off.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:21 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I watched some Odunze highlights. Everything looks very smooth and natural. Also catches everything in sight. Plus, he's legit a big dude with long arms. Very appealing for sure. I still have Nabers as my 1 And MHJ as the 2nd guy, but I can def see why Odunze is right there with those guys.

What are your thoughts about the Buscaglia mock with the trade up to 7? 

I think Logic started the thread on it?

More so the price, and the opinion that Buscaglia might know something.