The 2024 UFL Thread

Most of these unis look pretty bad. I really wish Houston kept the Gamblers over the Roughnecks.

They looked 200% better and had a less cheesy name.

If they had, I would be rooting for them simply because they're cool and were Jim Kelly's team.

Otherwise, I have no ties to these teams. Currently I'm partial to the DC Defenders.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That means you might not like football as much as the next. Literally.

There are people who pore over hundreds of hours of college film to scout players, but watching a few spring games is too much??

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ufl-kicks-off-this-weekend-with-usfl-champion-stallions-vs-xfl-champion-renegades

It's the UFL opening weekend, you lucky people.

Week 1 

Saturday, March 30

Birmingham Stallions at Arlington Renegades, 1 p.m. (FOX)

St. Louis Battlehawks at Michigan Panthers, 4 p.m. (FOX)

Sunday, March 31

D.C. Defenders at San Antonio Brahmas, noon (ESPN)

Memphis Showboats at Houston Roughnecks, 3 p.m. (ESPN)

It's like watching 2 created teams in Madden play. Just nothing to grab my attention and pull me in. Lower skilled players and coaching staffs. Hard to gain any rooting interest. And the whole thing is headed by Dwayne Johnson who may just be the most oversaturated and over exposed celebrity in America.

I'll be tuned in all weekend.

• Haha (+1) 1

I like the fact that Memphis, San Antonio, Birmingham, and St.Louis are in this league. The idea of a spring league in smaller markets without an NFL team is great. Fan enthusiasm is important to me when trying to get into a new league. If I don’t see any interest in the stands, why should I be interested? It adds a human element that I find important. On the same note, I don’t understand why these leagues keep trying DC, Dallas, and Houston. Texas loves football, but those large markets aren’t going to care, they already have enough football to stay occupied. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Is the team name for Brahmas on Brahma, one of the major gods of Hinduism, or Brahma chickens or Brahma Beer?

Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) partially owns the team and "the Brahma Bull" was one of his wrestling nicknames.

Fun fact, the roster includes former Bill Marquez Stevenson.  I remember many people thinking that he was going to be a hidden gem a couple of years ago. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) partially owns the team and "the Brahma Bull" was one of his wrestling nicknames.

Fun fact, the roster includes former Bill Marquez Stevenson.  I remember many people thinking that he was going to be a hidden gem a couple of years ago. 

So they (and he) are probably named after the American Brahman hybrid zebuine-taurine bull and its Sexual precocity.

brahmanbull1.jpg

https://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/67/brahman

Thanks.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I like the fact that Memphis, San Antonio, Birmingham, and St.Louis are in this league. The idea of a spring league in smaller markets without an NFL team is great. Fan enthusiasm is important to me when trying to get into a new league. If I don’t see any interest in the stands, why should I be interested? It adds a human element that I find important. On the same note, I don’t understand why these leagues keep trying DC, Dallas, and Houston. Texas loves football, but those large markets aren’t going to care, they already have enough football to stay occupied. 

DC would sell out their 17K soccer stadium. In fact they are famous for their "beer snakes "