[Misleading Title]

DJB

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Misleading Title]
2 hours ago, DJB said:

I love Diggs he’s been fantastic for us. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bitter about how we essentially traded the best WR in the NFL who is considerably younger than Diggs as well.

The thought of Josh with an elite young WR is so tantalizing. 

But I’m no longer bitter . Why? Because Jefferson wants more than $30 million per year . That’s insane money and he’s not 10+ million dollars worth more than Stef.

Diggs has an older deal compared to most #1 starters.  the newer deals are always going to be for more than the last, especially at the WR position in modern NFL.  this contract will look high for 2 years, and then just be in the regular old "upper echelon" of starter deals. after 3 years, a bargain..... that isnt just this contract scenario, this is every contract scenario in NFL at top end of positions.

i remember peyton getting 10yr/100m as a kid and people losing their FN MINDSSSSSSSSSSSS lol "this league will be bankrupt"  "even if hes 1st ballot, he'll NEVER live up to that deal" blah blah blah

'if he plays the way hes been playing and stays healthy, itll be  a great contract

if he stinks or gets hurt often, it'll be a bad one'

^^^ this is the truth for every top of position contract we've ever seen and will ever see, dont get too caught up on the $$$

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

I love Diggs he’s been fantastic for us. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bitter about how we essentially traded the best WR in the NFL who is considerably younger than Diggs as well.

But I’m no longer bitter . Why? Because Jefferson wants more than $30 million per year . That’s insane money and he’s not 10+ million dollars worth more than Stef.

So how do you know they would have picked Jefferson?  In hindsight it's great, but for all we know, whomever they picked, could have been a flop

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Yup. They’ll draft a young QB on a rookie pay scale and use that money for JJ. By the time the rookie needs a new contract JJ will be on the downward slope and things will work out naturally. 

And the QB could be a Zack Wilson, or Mack Jones or Josh Rosen, or a number of other flop QB's.  Then you have nothing, need a new QB and a WR who wants out, but no team will trade for him based on contract you gave him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So how do you know they would have picked Jefferson?  In hindsight it's great, but for all we know, whomever they picked, could have been a flop

And the QB could be a Zack Wilson, or Mack Jones or Josh Rosen, or a number of other flop QB's.  Then you have nothing, need a new QB and a WR who wants out, but no team will trade for him based on contract you gave him.

He’s the best WR in football. I’m pretty sure they’ll do alright. Along with just about any QB they find that will likely be just as good as Cousins. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Calvin Ridley just got 4 years/ 92 Million, so 30 million per year isn’t a stretch  for JJ.

Not only is it not a stretch, but he’s going to be closer to $40 million than $30 million AAV.  If he signs a 5 year deal, I’m guessing its around $185 million.

• Vomit 1

25 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s the best WR in football. I’m pretty sure they’ll do alright. Along with just about any QB they find that will likely be just as good as Cousins. 

so Zack Wilson, Mack Jones,or Josh Rosen are as good as Cousins??  You said they should raft a rookie QB instead, not me.  This was your plan!    So pairing JJ with Zack Wilson, or Mack Jones or Josh Rosen would have resulted in just as good of results you're saying??  Interesting!

Your idea is great as long as they draft another Josh Allen or Joe Burrow, but the problem is for every Allen and Burrow, there are about 5 Zak Wilsons drafted.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

so Zack Wilson, Mack Jones,or Josh Rosen are as good as Cousins??  You said they should raft a rookie QB instead, not me.  This was your plan!    So pairing JJ with Zack Wilson, or Mack Jones or Josh Rosen would have resulted in just as good of results you're saying??  Interesting!

Your idea is great as long as they draft another Josh Allen or Joe Burrow, but the problem is for every Allen and Burrow, there are about 5 Zak Wilsons drafted.

Pretty sure we’re talking about the same Kirk Cousins here. He’s nothing special. They’ll be just fine 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Pretty sure we’re talking about the same Kirk Cousins here. He’s nothing special. They’ll be just fine 

Yeah the same Kirk Cousins who signed a 4 year $180 mil contract.  I guess I must have missed when Rosen and Zach Wilson signed similar deals. 

While I agree Cousins isn't anything special he's still light years better than guys like Zack Wilson, Mack Jones or Josh Rosen and drafting a new QB leaving you with a good chance of getting someone just like them and then a team that in another 3 years will be drafting his replacement.

So the Vikes would be just fine with JJ and Zach Wilson at QB?

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah the same Kirk Cousins who signed a 4 year $180 mil contract.  I guess I must have missed when Rosen and Zach Wilson signed similar deals. 

While I agree Cousins isn't anything special he's still light years better than guys like Zack Wilson, Mack Jones or Josh Rosen and drafting a new QB leaving you with a good chance of getting someone just like them and then a team that in another 3 years will be drafting his replacement.

So the Vikes would be just fine with JJ and Zach Wilson at QB?

The Viles won’t be fine with Zach Wilson which is why they won’t be starting him. 

to answer your question, no, of course JJ won’t be as good with someone like Wilson as he is with Cousins. That’s kind of besides the point isn’t it. They decided to move on from Cousins and find his replacement because he wasn’t  good enough. And they felt it wasn’t in their best interest to sign him to 45m a year. Still doesn’t mean they won’t find better than either him or Wilson. 

• Like (+1) 1

We didn't trade away Jefferson.

We traded away a draft pick.

If we'd been at that draft slot the draft could easily have gone differently. Someone could have traded ahead of us for Jefferson. There's no way to know.

There was never anything to feel bad about. Wistful, maybe.

Both sides won.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, mrags said:

Cousins is absolutely special. Not elite. But probably top ten. He's special. 

They could come out of this looking just awful. But they made their bed by giving him that awful contract they originally made with him.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

So having the best receiver in football means you'll be alright? It really doesn't.

Let me tell you a story about a guy named Calvin Johnson ...

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Cousins is absolutely special. Not elite. But probably top ten. He's special. 

They could come out of this looking just awful. But they made their bed by giving him that awful contract they originally made with him.

So having the best receiver in football means you'll be alright? It really doesn't.

Let me tell you a story about a guy named Calvin Johnson ...

Terrible argument as CJ was still the best receiver in football hands down. And made his very good QB look even better. 

the argument wasn’t how the team will perform as a whole? It was how to keep the best WR in football in the highest paid non QB contract in the history of the league. Because that’s what he’s asking for.  They already made their bed by not renewing Cousins, who will not only be 36 at the start of the league year, but also coming off a season ending injury that will likely effect him moving forward. They made the right choice. And I’m a fan of Cousins btw. But he’s not special. He’s definitely not top 10. 

the guaranteed guys that are better

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Gabbert

Jackson

Prescott

Hurts

Lawrence

I’d argue that the Following are better or definitely have much more upside:

Stafford

Stroud

Tua

Purdy

Mayfield

then there’s guys like Rodgers who is clearly better but coming off the exact same injury. 

Don’t forget guys in the draft that are clearly going to be better according to all the professionals like 

Williams

Maye

Daniels

id put Cousins at his age, and coming off his injury right between 15-20 somewhere on that list. About average in the league. And he may be worth the kind of money he signed for in Atlanta

6 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I think experienced WR  Diggs was a huge factor young Allen bacame superstar QB.

I doubt rookie Jefferson would help to develop Allen 4 years ago

The other point here is the Bills could have just as likely drafted Jalen Raegor. Yeah Jefferson turned out to be a star, but it’s not like Diggs has sucked for years

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:56 PM, DJB said:

lol, he absolutely is.