Isaiah Hodgins Expected to Be Non-Tendered as RFA

JGMcD2

On 3/13/2024 at 3:51 PM, Augie said:

Didn’t he get caught up in the number of times you could be elevated to the roster or something like that, and we were absolutely desperate for DB’s on the roster due to injury. I don’t remember the details, but it seems like we were between a rock and a hard place. 

Yeah, pretty much something like that.  I think Hodgins had been on the 53-man for a couple weeks.  Tre' White had his 3 week window opened but 4 or 5 weeks later was still not "ready to play".  I forget the details but around that time Benford missed a couple games and Elam had an injury, they needed to roster another DB.  So Hodgins got cut and subjected to waivers, and the Giants pounced.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

If your 5th or 6th wr doesn't play teams they dont dress and become a waste of a roster spot.  Hollins is a better wr.  He is also a better athlete and is significantly better as a run blocker and on special teams.  

That was the argument in 2022...and by November,  they were signing Cole Beasley and John Brown off the street to fill the depth roles because they were that desperate for competent WR play behind Diggs and Davis. 

I'm not saying the Bills should bother bringing Hodgins back at this stage.  I do think he was very likely a better value at the time,  especially on a 6th round contract,  than what they brought in for 2022 and 2023.  

At the time he was behind Shakir and Mckenzie and did not play teams.  That is why he was cut.  Hodgins on the roster wouldn't have stopped Brown and Beasley returning that year.