Is it time to grow concerned about Greg Rousseau?

FireChans

Looking back Oliver was though of the same way.  This year he took a big step.  I could see Rousseau  having a similar trajectory.  His advance stats are solid and he is the best all all around edge player on the roster by a margin imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Looking back Oliver was though of the same way.  This year he took a big step.  I could see Rousseau  having a similar trajectory.  His advance stats are solid and he is the best all all around edge player on the roster by a margin imo. 

Generally, DTs like Oliver take longer to come into their own than DEs simply because the learning curve for interior linemen tends to be longer than for the edge rushers; there's more to learn in the pro game than in college.   That doesn't mean that Rousseau can't improve his sack numbers, but it seems that he's not real likely to do so.  However, that doesn't bother me much because he's a good DE against both the pass and the run.  

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

1st round picks are stll 1st round picks though... They're all expected to be good players. 

When you see 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round, etc. picks breaking out & becoming stars every year, you'd like to think your team will find those guys too. 

But if not, you'd at least hope they hit on their 1st rounders.

It's not enough to just avoid busts, it's also avoiding situations like Sammy Watkins... trading away extra picks & moving up for a guy who ends up being worse than several other WRs that came later. You also don't want to settle for "serviceable" or "solid." You want your 1st rounders to make a big impact. 

I think Greg has been pretty good. But the organization went Into that draft hellbent on fixing the pass rush to stop the Chiefs, then failed so hard they immediately spent 100+ million on a 33 year old DE the next off-season. That's a lot of money & resources spent to get a "solid" or "pretty good" pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

Groot just desperately needs to stay healthy for a full season. When he is, he's a very dynamic starting DE. I agree with other posters comparisons to Oliver. Oliver has actually played quite well for a number of years, but kept getting banged up during seasons (for different reasons than Rousseau mind you)

Just heard a really good stat on Joe B's live roster primer on the Athletic.

As a rookie Rousseau playes 100% left end.

In 2022 it was 83%

In 2023 it was only 45%

He played a LOT more right end which is not his strongest position to accomodate Floyd and Von who both also wanna play left end. 

Not saying it completely explains why his production isn't higher but definitely worth considering. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Just heard a really good stat on Joe B's live roster primer on the Athletic.

As a rookie Rousseau playes 100% left end.

In 2022 it was 83%

In 2023 it was only 45%

He played a LOT more right end which is not his strongest position to accomodate Floyd and Von who both also wanna play left end. 

Not saying it completely explains why his production isn't higher but definitely worth considering. 

Hopefully Von plays more left bench next year, or isn’t on the team at all, and we don’t have to worry about this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Hopefully Von plays more left bench next year, or isn’t on the team at all, and we don’t have to worry about this. 

I just asked Joe what his level of confidence is in Von having any impact at all in 2024 - his answer? None whatsoever.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

1st round picks are stll 1st round picks though... They're all expected to be good players. 

When you see 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round, etc. picks breaking out & becoming stars every year, you'd like to think your team will find those guys too. 

But if not, you'd at least hope they hit on their 1st rounders.

It's not enough to just avoid busts, it's also avoiding situations like Sammy Watkins... trading away extra picks & moving up for a guy who ends up being worse than several other WRs that came later. You also don't want to settle for "serviceable" or "solid." You want your 1st rounders to make a big impact. 

I think Greg has been pretty good. But the organization went Into that draft hellbent on fixing the pass rush to stop the Chiefs, then failed so hard they immediately spent 100+ million on a 33 year old DE the next off-season. That's a lot of money & resources spent to get a "solid" or "pretty good" pass rush.

Rousseasu barring injury is a 10 year NFL starter at DE.  Thats a hit.  I think if he got the same snaps other top 15 DEs get his numbers would be closer to what you would hope for. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.