I guess Tyler Dunne was spot on...McD is too controlling and paranoid to work with...

eball

1 hour ago, eball said:

...as evidenced by Brady and Babich sticking around and accepting promotions to OC and DC despite significant interest around the league.

/sarcasm off

Nice to see that Tyler Dunne is living rent free in a lot of Bills fans heads.

At the end of the day though his pieces were superb journalism for anyone that actually took the time to read them instead of pointing fingers and calling him a bills hater or another hack with an axe to grind.

• Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Which part? I'm happy to discuss it. 

They won't want to discuss any of it, because what you said is 100% true. At least half of Bills fans were so traumatized by the playoff drought that they're perfectly happy to win the division and maybe a playoff game because shooting for anything more involves the risk that mediocrity might rear it's ugly head again. That should not be a legitimate worry when you have Allen in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

As someone who found a lot of what was in the Dunne piece to be illuminating and probably truthful...

Two things that have happened since have been kind of damning to that report:

The first was the Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll fallout. Whereas it looked like the rather public breakup of McDermott and Daboll was more on McDermott, seeing Daboll be unable to make it work with a second consecutive defensive mind makes one wonder. 

The second was the fact that, as the OP mentioned, two coveted young coordinators chose to stick around in Buffalo rather than go elsewhere, even though both garnered significant interest. Babich, in particular, was surprising, choosing to stick around under a defensive-minded head coach who may still continue to call plays rather than potentially spread his wings under an offensive minded guy.

Lastly, the way the team rallied around McDermott after the piece came out also sort of poked a bit of a hole in the "no one likes playing for this control freak" narrative. 

The more that time has gone on and the more that's happened, the less accurate Dunne's piece has looked. 

With all of that said, the Bills still lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Divisional round to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the major thesis of Dunne's piece was that McDermott tenses up in big moments and that the Bills need to move on from him to ever reach the Super Bowl, so.....he hasn't entirely been proven wrong thus far.

It's almost as if a bunch of fans were judging and thinking they could read a person off a bunch of intentionally bland press conferences, rather than his body of work, which is more successful than 98 percent of the coaches in the past seven years with a locker room that constantly raves about how together they are year in and year out.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Unfortunately I think the standards with the owner and half the fanbase are so low, that I’m not even sure another massive postseason disappointment gets McD Cannes. 

Terry and a lot of fans feel that simply a Divisional Round exit with an elite QB is a huge accomplishment. It’s happened 3 years in a row and they want more of it. 

I think if it was somewhere else, this could be a good analysis of the situation by Brady. Here, I’m not so sure. I guess if the offense is solid he probably feels he could still get hired away. 

One of the most ridiculous, nonsensical posts I’ve ever read in here. Good job, you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, JustHewIt said:

It's almost as if a bunch of fans were judging and thinking they could read a person off a bunch of intentionally bland press conferences, rather than his body of work, which is more successful than 98 percent of the coaches in the past seven years with a locker room that constantly raves about how together they are year in and year out.

fun drinking GIF by WDR

These guys are together. I also think they would struggle in the divisional round. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

At the end of the day though his pieces were superb journalism for anyone that actually took the time to read them instead of pointing fingers and calling him a bills hater or another hack with an axe to grind.

I still have no idea why you are here. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

Tyler Dunne is a really odd guy. Watch a few interviews of him after this idiotic article came out and he Comes off as an angry arrogant fool. Another media hack who knows nothing about football just gossip. 

He was actually on Pat Moran's talking buffalo podcast earlier and if you watched or listened he gave a lot of good insight, especially in regards to stuff like this in terms of people thinking he's just another random blogger.

And to be honest Dunne's resume and credential are pretty impressive and I'd venture to guess he could probably be working for any major national or local NFL media outlet of his choice instead of doing his own thing with go long if he wanted to.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Bless your little heart. 

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

In what way? I'm open to hearing how what any of what I said is wrong or untrue. 

You’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to call your opinion moronic. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JustHewIt said:

Since McDermott arrived, 10 different coaches has made the SB, some multiple times, how is he more successful than 98% of coaches in the NFL, much less sports?  To this point, with Josh Allen as QB he has underachieved, only making the AFCCG once, resulting in a blowout. 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Apparently, Daboll is the one with a long history of being a difficult person to coach with.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/27/volatility-issues-cost-brian-daboll-coaching-jobs-prior-new-york-giants-hire/

I'll believe it when I see 20+ sources go on record like they did with Dunne for his McDivisional pieces.

• Haha (+1) 1

Winning in the NFL - assuming the leaders even know what they are doing - is a game of inches on and off the field.

Terry Pegula pointing to Mahomes but not insisting on the pick… 

Playing soft D and making 13 seconds enough…

A failed fake punt, a dropped pass, a missed kick…

Right now Reid and Spagnola do everything in the center right AND win on the margins. 

It’s like playing my wife in cards: I always play her close, but somehow she plays her hands better when it counts and comes out on top.

Beane and McDermott are damn good, just not the best. And unfortunately we are seeing a Brady/Belichick level duo each year in the playoffs. 

I’m grateful for the run we are on, but they have better juice. Against Reid/Mahomes - in the context of going against the greats - McDermott is lacking and that’s a problem.

But realistically, what are we to do? I’m tempted to give Belichick a go, but that could be a disaster as well…

Its hard to have faith in a loving God if you’re a Bills fan! 😂

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

As soon as Go Long Dunne gets his Bills insights from someone other than Doug Whaley or Jon Feliciano he’ll gain some credibility. 

If you actually read his articles you'd know he had way more sources that. At least 20-25 including current Bills players on the roster.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.