[Name Only Title] Gregory Rousseau

Bill51390

On 1/22/2024 at 1:04 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure how this ties to our WR situation as there werent any WRs we passed on with those picks.

The missed pick was Basham over Creed Humphrey.

Unless you are saying we could have already moved on from Morse and used that money to sign better WRs. But we didnt have any problem throwing money at WR this year with the Harty and Sherfield signings.

So I'm confused on the details here.

Because they whiffed TWICE on DE in one draft, they went and spent big on Von, where that 20M could have been used on WRs.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe Rousseau is capable of that. We'll see if it pans out.

Folks also have to remember, this is the talent we get picking so late in the 1st. We have to be lucky to strike gold, otherwise the player would already have been picked in the top 10.

Rousseau is a good all-around player drafted 30th overall.

Enough with the excuses, the Chiefs have picked behind us every year and gotten far better.

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Enough with the excuses, the Chiefs have picked behind us every year and gotten far better.

To be fair, they were able to go get guys like McDuffie because the haul they got for the Tyreek trade. But the point is valid. They have done a really great job of drafting talent and finding value in people that maybe the league was missing out on. 

2023 is meh except Rice, 2021 they found Bolton, Humphrey and Trey Smith and didn’t have a first round pick. 2022 they crushed with the extra draft capital. McDuffie, Karlaftis, Pacheco, and guys like Chenal, Williams, Watson, Moore and Cook. They do a great job. I don’t get hung up on Humphrey thing, the way a lot of people do, he was the third center off the board. But to me McDuffie was the one that got away. 

• Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:00 PM, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Picking him and Boogie Basham 1 and 2 that year was why we got to watch Trent Sherfield play meaningful minutes while dropping multiple bombs last night. Criminal how little they've built around Allen.

Could you please use your divine hindsight powers to tell us mere mortals exactly who they should have drafted? 

Edited by Freak-O

7 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Could you please use your divine hindsight powers to tell us mere mortals exactly who they should have drafted? 

How about any guys on offense? I'm not a fortune-teller, but the Packers had Aaron Rodgers for more than a decade and only won one SB because they refused to use their first pick on weapons to help him. Sound familiar?

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Yeah it's funny people so hung up on Humphrey for some reason.

If I am redoing that draft, I am taking Landon Dickerson at the end of the first, Nico Collins in the 2nd, Amon-Ra St. Brown in the third, Talanoa Hufanga in the fifth, and Trey Smith in the 6th. Bam! Now that’s hindsight. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To be fair, they were able to go get guys like McDuffie because the haul they got for the Tyreek trade. But the point is valid. They have done a really great job of drafting talent and finding value in people that maybe the league was missing out on. 

2023 is meh except Rice, 2021 they found Bolton, Humphrey and Trey Smith and didn’t have a first round pick. 2022 they crushed with the extra draft capital. McDuffie, Karlaftis, Pacheco, and guys like Chenal, Williams, Watson, Moore and Cook. They do a great job. I don’t get hung up on Humphrey thing, the way a lot of people do, he was the third center off the board. But to me McDuffie was the one that got away. 

Asset management is an important part of running an NFL team. They trade Hill and don't miss a beat. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So what’s the thoughts on picking up his 5th year option ?

Wont be cheap .. but they probably have to do it to buy themselves more time to work out their DE problems …

Great question. OTC estimates his 5th year option at $13.861M. One of my big criticisms of picking Rousseau in the first was that I expected him to be a four to five year player here. The second contract a first rounder gets from the team that drafted him will be too high for what he can do.

His athleticism does make him an excellent fit for LDE in McDermott’s system where it’s more about contain, run defense and clean up sacks. He does not have the bend to ever be a high sack guy. He just doesn’t have the ability to win quickly and get to the QB fast unless his bull rush works. 

So where do we go? That option number would be the 27th AAV among Edges. Obviously that’ll drop in the coming months. I think they’ll pick it up and that’ll be his last year here. If they do pick it up then it’s the floor for an extension, which would be a solid overpay IMO. You can find guys to do that job for less. I don’t think I’d do it, but I wouldn’t hate it. I just don’t want to see him get a top 20 Edge contract from the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.