The Bills And The NFL Need To Take Care of Their People.

YodaMan79

1 minute ago, Simon said:

You'd be surprised how little it really affects you once you actually start playing

Roger!

But minus 30 is minus 30.  Doesn't mean they want to lengthen the game or go to OT, eh.  

Monday we'll be fine.  Business as usual for WNY.   

Just now, PBF81 said:

Roger!

But minus 30 is minus 30.  Doesn't mean they want to lengthen the game or go to OT, eh.  

Once you start hitting people, you sort of stop feeling anything.

Your senses dial down to a more narrowed focus and other things fade away (pain, noise, etc).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Great points, WEO

Have we really gotten to the point where at-will work for twice the federal minimum wage (and equal to ny min wage), is somehow cruel?

I'm just not getting it.

My feelings probably ruffle some feathers, but people in other countries LITERALLY (and not literally in the commonly used colloquial sense) are DYING and risking everything to get here for easy (I don't mean easy phisically, but it's non-skilled) work like this.

Honestly it's a bit of a straw man argument...

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. As mentioned above supply and demand is king. If there aren't workers at that price, they will raise it. So assuming the stadium gets shoveled, that means there were enough people willing to do it for that price, and everyone complaining about having to shovel doesn't actually have to shovel at all.

Your argument that at-will minimum wage  labor is some benevolence afforded employees😂😂

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Having said that, they're humans, not cyborgs.

Has nothing to do with wanting to play.  Has to do with how they play.  

I hear you for sure. But they’re super competitive, physically superior humans. Not me. and maybe not you hahaha. 

Im just telling you, the locker room is FULL of guys that want to kick another team’s ass even if the game is played on the Sun. Any complainers are weak, and ya can’t play with em.. can’t win with em.. cannot do it!

In extremes, the cold is better to play in that the heat 

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

If you dont see the difference between NLF merch and their own stuff to those examples, well, too bad. You "win" this one.

most everything you wear was made in those shops.  Why call out the NFL for having Nike (for example) as a sponsor because of who Nike subcontracts manufacturing of Nike (not “NFL”) products? 

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I hear you for sure. But they’re super competitive, physically superior humans. Not me. and maybe not you hahaha. 

Im just telling you, the locker room is FULL of guys that want to kick another team’s ass even if the game is played on the Sun. Any complainers are weak, and ya can’t play with em.. can’t win with em.. cannot do it!

In extremes, the cold is better to play in that the heat 

No doubt.  We're way past the original context however.  

My point was that the strategy for the game changes.  Nothing more.  I never meant to insinuate that the players don't care, don't get up, etc.  

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I disagree.  That's really up to the company's leadership.  There are good and bad businesses to work for from an employee perspective.  I'm a peon in the grand scheme of things, but my employer has a 7.5 hour workday, I get 4 weeks paid vacation, another week of Care time, good healthcare, can take off anytime I need to on short notice, great office culture, etc.  Good employees will flee a company that doesn't take care of them.

Glad to hear you're well taken care of where you are. I wasn't defending poor and underpaid employee treatment AT ALL. More or less stating reality of a system and general ideology that's most places.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nfl only cares about money. Plus the game will look awesome on TV. They don’t care about people unless something bad happens, then they pretend to care. 

If anything bad does happen NFL will just make some stickers for the back of helmets 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Your argument that at-will minimum wage  labor is some benevolence afforded employees😂😂

not at all what I said and clearly not what I argued.  

The OP was complaining that a guy should get paid extra to show up for work because there’s going to be foul weather—describing being outside in foul weather as “hazardous”, and suggesting more money for that worker, even though that wouldn’t mitigate the hazard  or whatever the OP was describing.  If the base salary was twice minimum wage, the OPs point would still make no sense.

Would time and a half make the employer more “benevolent”? Of course not.  And as I mentioned,  thousands of others (fans) are willingly putting themselves at the exact same risk as the employees—in fact paying likely hundreds of dollars to do so.  OP doesn’t describe his unease and displeasure with the Bills and the NFL nonchalance about fan hazard….

Some extra  money for employees  doesn’t affect the problem OP is saying  he is concerned with. It doesn’t follow logically, leaving aside the fact that employment outdoors in Buffalo in the winter has implied hazard of bad weather. 

Countless employed individuals will have to go out in the weather over the next 2 days for scheduled work hours to possibly dig out Buffalo. Many likely will be exposed to hazards more significant than checking fans bags entering the stadium for a few hours. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not really different than other employees in other fields having to work when the weather gets rough. 

Yes it is different because "other fields" don't make billions and billions and billions & have players making over a million dollars a game.

Your remark irritates me for that reason.

I hate that sort of remark.

Time and  half for the part time stadium workers is the opposite of unreasonable.

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

Glad to hear you're well taken care of where you are. I wasn't defending poor and underpaid employee treatment AT ALL. More or less stating reality of a system and general ideology that's most places.

Thanks.

I was mostly responding to this specific sentiment you expressed: "No matter how rich a company is, they pay the lowest they can to achieve the ends to a mean."  It may be true for many companies in many fields, but it hasn't been my experience in the job market over the past 25+ years.  Yes, there's obviously a profit motive in market economies, but many companies manage to achieve this while valuing their employees via above-market compensation, great benefits and a culture that provides opportunities for growth and advancement.  It's not all top-hat capitalist overlords and serfs/slaves.

As for truly crappy employers?  Yes, they exist and unskilled employees often get shafted.  That's why I'm pro-union and continue to vote that way.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not benevolence.... And I never insinuated as such.

It's an agreement.

It's at-will employment. At-will for both parties.

Just now, Heavy Kevi said:

It's not benevolence.... And I never insinuated as such.

It's an agreement.

It's at-will employment. At-will for both parties.

Right

Because power is always distributed evenly between management and labor😂😂

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Right

Because power is always distributed evenly between management and labor😂😂

Man you are missing the point.

This inst even a continuous job.... Just one day.

So anyone who decides to go down and shovel for that price is happy to do it and get that wage.

Nobody else is forced to do anything.

But even so, they would have to raise the wage if people weren't doing it.

All the laughing face emojis in the world won't make that change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.