Bills fan murdered after game

6 hours ago, Draconator said:

@DieHardBillsFan this is a tweet from the reporter that spoke with the family and some other witnesses. However I’m uncertain how a conclusion could be drawn as the only person who would definitively know would be the perpetrator themselves. Who are still at large. 

This unfolded a few blocks away from hard rock but still very much in the vicinity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DC Greg said:

It's a law very similar to SYG. Splitting hairs on that. Not sure how you think the source is biased. It just lists 5 cases and strictly the facts of what each case was and the result. Those 5 are just a sampling. I mean if you want to argue that those are aberrations from the statistical norm or something, that's an argument. But that doesn't make the cases listed in that article untrue. There's also a lot more information available to you with a quick google search on other cases where people were shot while running away, shot when there wasn't an imminent threat to the killer's life, etc.

Yeah I agree it probably wouldn't fly in this case. But what you are highlighting has also been disregarded by juries in other SYG cases. There are times when people were shot while fleeing, and they still made arguments like "well they could have turned around and come back, so their life was still in danger" to let the killer off. It happens unfortunately. 

It came up with 4 instances of alleged problematic use of stand your ground. The laws are not the same and the “hair splitting” matters in law.  

As for people (criminals) shot when fleeing, stand your ground would not apply. The fact it has been erroneously used in a vast minority of cases proves nothing, (and blaming the jury for wrongful application is erroneous because the jury is a fact finder, the Judge would make a legal ruling on if the defense is available) and is better than an alternative where the crime victim loses the benefit of the doubt.  

10 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

One would think that since the murderer supposedly backed their car 20 +/- feet into the victim, the "stand your ground" defense wouldn't hold much water, but, this is Florida, so who knows.

Correct, shooter was inside a vehicle, not really in any danger from the victim who is on foot.  I cannot see any valid argument for a stand your ground defense, put the car in drive and leave the seen, he wasn't the one with a gun.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Wise words though I disagree 100 percent with the last half of your last sentence.

My guess is you assume I’m talking about legal carry.

Seeing things for what they are doesn’t require an opinion or a position to defend.

12 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

My sister said this happened about 50 yards in front of her as she walked to her car after the game.

Same here.   I was in the Walmart parking lot heading to Lot 42.   We lingered after the game, so by the time I passed, the ambulances and cops were assembling.   I heard no shots.  It had been the most peaceful of evenings, given the magnitude of the game and the 50/50 split.  Some of the locals call Miami Gardens Murder Gardens.  I have to think that arrests are imminent, unless the car was stolen.  Life is so fragile.  The wrong glance at the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time … Peace to the family.   That’s all I got and that ain’t enough.

If the Fins fans were any kind of decent people they would be trying in some way to help find out or step forward with any info on who did this . Someone had to see something, something like this doesn't just happen and no one see's it .

Come on Fins fans grow a set & step forward if you saw anything that night and go to the police with it, this is about more than the game of football ...

1 hour ago, T master said:

If the Fins fans were any kind of decent people they would be trying in some way to help find out or step forward with any info on who did this . Someone had to see something, something like this doesn't just happen and no one see's it .

Come on Fins fans grow a set & step forward if you saw anything that night and go to the police with it, this is about more than the game of football ...

Considering number of Bills fans at game it is not just Fin fans who need to step up.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.