THE ROCKPILE REVIEW – And Down Go the Dolphins –

Shaw66

1 minute ago, dock581 said:

Great write up as usual. What was very obvious is how energized the D was after Harty’s return. They were just flying to the ball.

Right.   I have to admit, I didn't notice Spector, whom several people have commented on.   What I noticed was that the defensive line wasn't blowing people up, but they were working hard enough to get consistent pressure and be making stops in the run game. 

And the D backs were all over the place.  Loved when Poyer lit up that guy and Collinsworth went nuts.  Rapp was possessed on the last two plays.  Benford stood out all game, and Jackson was his usual solid self.   

It was a great show.  

I'm sure the Dolphins came into the game expecting to win, and came into the second half confident.   I usually don't take pleasure in the other guy's misery, but I really enjoyed thinking about how shell-shocked they were at the end.   Josh just coming at them relentlessly, mistakes or not, especially on the long third-down run, Harty exploding on them, and the defense just completely taking it to them.   It was awesome.

• Like (+1) 2

Nice!! Love your comment comparing the Harty's return to Taron's 101 Yrd Pick Six a few years back. I felt exactly the same way. A jolt of energy out of nowhere that sparked the team. Once Dolphins went 3 and out on next possession I felt very confident.

I was thinking the very same thing in regards to the relation between Hartys return, and the Taron Johnson pick six against Baltimore. The emotional charge that came out of both were game changing.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I usually don't take pleasure in the other guy's misery, but I really enjoyed thinking about how shell-shocked they were at the end. 

No need to imagine how it was behind the scenes... we'll see it on "Hard Knocks" :devil:

We should have a GDT for that/

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

No need to imagine how it was behind the scenes... we'll see it on "Hard Knocks" :devil:

We should have a GDT for that/

I don't watch Hard Knocks.  Never have.   Will there be an episode following this loss?   I mean, it'll be seriously painful for them, but good reality TV.  

GDT?

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I don't watch Hard Knocks.  Never have.   Will there be an episode following this loss?   I mean, it'll be seriously painful for them, but good reality TV.  

GDT?

Yes, the season finale is tomorrow on HBO (HBO Max maybe) at 9 pm.

GDT = a Game Day Thread for it. Yes, I'm evil.

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Yes, the season finale is tomorrow on HBO (HBO Max maybe) at 9 pm.

GDT = a Game Day Thread for it. Yes, I'm evil.

Ooh.  I won't be watching, but a GDT is a great idea!

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.   I have to admit, I didn't notice Spector, whom several people have commented on.   What I noticed was that the defensive line wasn't blowing people up, but they were working hard enough to get consistent pressure and be making stops in the run game. 

And the D backs were all over the place.  Loved when Poyer lit up that guy and Collinsworth went nuts.  Rapp was possessed on the last two plays.  Benford stood out all game, and Jackson was his usual solid self.   

It was a great show.  

I'm sure the Dolphins came into the game expecting to win, and came into the second half confident.   I usually don't take pleasure in the other guy's misery, but I really enjoyed thinking about how shell-shocked they were at the end.   Josh just coming at them relentlessly, mistakes or not, especially on the long third-down run, Harty exploding on them, and the defense just completely taking it to them.   It was awesome.

If my math is right, the Dolphins got 7 rush yards in the 2nd half.

Seven (7).

They got 101 rush yards in the first half.  They finished with 108 rush yards.

Think about that for a minute.  A run game that is clicking so well, it gains 5.9 YPA, a TD, 5 1st downs in the first 30 minutes.

You go into the locker room, eat some orange slices and PB sammys and come out ready to rumble.

7 yards.

They had a total of 3 first downs in the 2nd half.  Three (3), two of which were on the final drive.

That's really a defensive masterwork, especially when you factor in losing your best DB before the end of the half and a starting LB (who is already your 2nd string because your all-pro has been out since Game 5)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Rapp's interception reminded me of Hyde's playoff interception of Mac Jones.

Opponent player was covered by another Bills player and safety came in and grabbed ball thrown from AFCE QB.

Right about how the coverage worked.  Hyde's may have been the best INT I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for the writeup. Enjoyed it, as always.

You (and Collinsworth) are absolutely right. That WAS a playoff game. 

I thought three things stood out last night: Brandon Beane's free agent acquisitions (Harty and Sherfield -- quiet all year -- accounted for two of the three Bills TDs, Taylor Rapp had the game sealing interception), McDermott's masterful defensive coaching, and Josh Allen simply putting the team on his back and willing them to victory once again. He accounted for 91% of the Bills' offensive production on the night. 91%. And the 4th quarter? Well...he simply wanted it more than anyone else on the field, and that was the difference in the game.

The defense -- and missing key players, mind you -- stifled the Phins in the second half, as you said, and held them to a full game TOTAL of 14 points. This was one of the top scoring offenses in NFL HISTORY, mind you, and they were playing at home. 14 points.

The special teams, maligned much of the season, produced a touchdown.

The offense, despite a bevy of mistakes, scored the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter and bled enough time off the clock at the end -- including two gutsy 4th down decisions -- that the Dolphins simply didn't have enough time to mount a comeback.

All three phases. Complimentary football. Just what Sean McDermott's been preaching all season. I said repeatedly earlier this season that I thought his time as Bills coach had come to an end and the team should move on from him. It's only fair that I point out, then, that in the biggest game of the season, his defense shone brightly, his team played the complimentary football he always preaches and displayed the mental toughness he always touts, and at the end of the night...the once totally-left-for-dead Buffalo Bills were the AFC's 2-seed. Masterful job by coach McDermott.

Gosh, football is fun sometimes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the writeup. Enjoyed it, as always.

You (and Collinsworth) are absolutely right. That WAS a playoff game. 

I thought three things stood out last night: Brandon Beane's free agent acquisitions (Harty and Sherfield -- quiet all year -- accounted for two of the three Bills TDs, Taylor Rapp had the game sealing interception), McDermott's masterful defensive coaching, and Josh Allen simply putting the team on his back and willing them to victory once again. He accounted for 91% of the Bills' offensive production on the night. 91%. And the 4th quarter? Well...he simply wanted it more than anyone else on the field, and that was the difference in the game.

The defense -- and missing key players, mind you -- stifled the Phins in the second half, as you said, and held them to a full game TOTAL of 14 points. This was one of the top scoring offenses in NFL HISTORY, mind you, and they were playing at home. 14 points.

The special teams, maligned much of the season, produced a touchdown.

The offense, despite a bevy of mistakes, scored the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter and bled enough time off the clock at the end -- including two gutsy 4th down decisions -- that the Dolphins simply didn't have enough time to mount a comeback.

All three phases. Complimentary football. Just what Sean McDermott's been preaching all season. I said repeatedly earlier this season that I thought his time as Bills coach had come to an end and the team should move on from him. It's only fair that I point out, then, that in the biggest game of the season, his defense shone brightly, his team played the complimentary football he always preaches and displayed the mental toughness he always touts, and at the end of the night...the once totally-left-for-dead Buffalo Bills were the AFC's 2-seed. Masterful job by coach McDermott.

Gosh, football is fun sometimes.

Three of TBD's favorite whipping boys, Harty, Sherfield and Rapp, made critical plays for the Bills. Plus Spector's pinch-hit for Dodson. Good for them. Good for us.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.