Is Brady coaching for his job?

whorlnut

53 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

If we win Sunday, Brady stays.

if we win, Bills advance, Brady stays, Diggs has his best game in weeks

if we lose, Bills miss playoffs, Brady is gone, Diggs has his annual year end sideline meltdown

book it

15 hours ago, Rubes said:

Brady has always been coaching for his job. He's interim, its not like he's assured the spot for next year. He knows he has to produce every week.

I can say with confidence that this is NOT exactly what McDermott wants. I'm sure he would like a run-heavy offense like we saw against Dallas, but not what we've seen the last couple of weeks. If he wants a run-heavy offense, it's to take the pressure off of Allen and allow him to use play action better and to be more productive with the receivers when he does throw. We're not seeing that, at least not yet. I can't imagine this is what McDermott wants...he wants this, but with a better, more opportunistic passing game.

I don't think it's about "run heavy".

It's that McD wants both the run game and pass game clicking.

Dorsey was absolutely clueless. He didn't see the importance of a run game (see playoff game against the Bengals in the snow). Dorsey should have been fired after the Bengals playoff game, but it's hard to fire the OC when the offense ranks highly in many categories. But that was a mirage. McD's mistake was not firing Dorsey sooner, or even hiring him in the first place.

It wasn't sustainable for Allen to be throwing 60 times a game from the shotgun every week, which is all Dorsey ever had in mind. How many attempts did Lamar Jackson have last week???  He was 18 of 21! 21!!!

Brady is trying for more balance, which is needed because it's more sustainable.

Allen was a few close completions away from having a solid game in the last two weeks. He missed some throws. Pitchers don't always have shutouts. Let's see how he does next week with it all on the line.

Hopefully Brady and Allen get it figured out together and they make a deep run.

If the Bills get to the AFC Championship, Brady keeps his job.

Short of that, show me Frank Reich for OC.

• Agree 1

I think Brady has done enough given what he has inherited to be given heavy consideration for the OC position next year the one place the team could definitely do much better as far as coaching is ST's they have been very mediocre to say the least !

After that opening TD by the Pats if i were McD I'd be chewing somebody out for sure and let the ST coordinator know that he's coaching of this job !!

McD failed in hiring Dorsey and our special teams coach has already cost us two games (Jets and Denver) and almost cost us the New England game by electing to gamble a chance at maybe getting 5 yards on the kickoff tackle vs the risk of having a kickoff return for a TD which almost cost us our season.

Sean cannot afford to fail again with the OC for next year, and it's very likely NOT going to be the guy who happened to be the QB coach when McD's original choice failed.  They need to do an exhaustive search and interview a dozen top OC candidates regardless of what happens in the offseason.

In fairness Josh and Joe, our best two options right now in terms of Go To guys are Kincaid and Shakir, a 2nd year guy and a rookie with about 100 targets total between them.  Diggs and Knox are in massive slumps, our two highest paid targets by a lot.  I can't help but think Beane is kicking himself for not pulling the trigger on DHop.    Next year is going to look different for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, FireChans said:

We used to have a passing offense that struggled without a running game.

At least the running game works now. 

I don’t buy this is what McD wants. McD wants a 21 point lead lol.

I also don't buy the narrative that McD wants to grind out 3 point wins with ball control and power run.  The whole construction of this roster is to strike fast, play with a lead, and rush the passer.  

• Agree 1

I always viewed Brady as a guy who has a 7 + game opportunity to show what's he got as an OC.  They are 5 - 1, the passing game is not great but the offense in general seems better.  Not sure if Brady is that much better than Dorsey or if Dorsey was truly bad.  I'm on the fence with Brady right now.

Edited by juno999

22 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

If the offense looks good in the playoffs, keep Brady. If we fall short with the offense still looking average, maybe it’s time for a fresh prospective. He’s done a lot of good things, but this offense struggles mightily without Diggs being elite every game. The Dallas game where Cook went crazy was the exception with someone unexpected stepping up. I don’t think you can replace the elite version of Diggs, but I’m not fully satisfied with how Brady makes use of the roster. I have yet to see Brady or Dorsey use Shakir and Kincaid the way they should be utilized. Allen is elite, we need to put him and his teammates in better positions to succeed. 

Diggs is not dominant now.  Whether he is next year remains to be seen.  WR is a young man's position now.  He can be a good possession receiver for us the rest of the year, and hopefully next year as well.  We need to scheme the offense through Shakir and Kincaid and make good use of our RB's not named Latavious Murray.  Hopefully Diggs makes some solid plays when his number is called.  And the same for Davis.  But this is not the same Diggs of his first 3 and a half years playing for us.  The coaches need to know that.  And scheme accordingly.  I would also play Shorter this week, and sit Sherfield.  Guy looks like he has no idea what route he is supposed to run.  How we play this Sunday and hopefully in the playoffs on offense should be a big determining factor on whether Brady returns or not.  Coaching is obviously important.  But you can only do so much with the talent on the roster.   

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.