Plane landing at London Heathrow Airport yesterday

\GoBillsInDallas/

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

This looks like every time I’ve flown Hawaiian airlines. Only 5 flights I’ve been on where the whole plane screamed when landing. My back still hurts from landing so hard. 

So maybe that's why Alaska Airlines wants to buy them

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

So maybe that's why Alaska Airlines wants to buy them

They used to be really good. Idk what happened. I swear they’re trying to tank their value or something. Was like they went out of their way to make every step the worst experience possible. 

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Or  Denver. Of the few times 

i flew through there.none were smooth with the turbulence from the Rockies.

Vegas can be similar. My step dad was pretty nervous when we got close. Few times it felt like we were dropping out of the sky 

We always fly in & out of Chicago Midway. It's only one square mile in the middle of the SouthSide.   It gets interesting how they gotta slam on the "brakes" when landing...

"...And I'm goin' with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don't want to get caught up in any of that
Funky sh*t goin' down in the city..."

Short landing @ MDW:

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We always fly in & out of Chicago Midway. It's only one square mile in the middle of the SouthSide.   It gets interesting how they gotta slam on the "brakes" when landing...

"...And I'm goin' with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don't want to get caught up in any of that
Funky sh*t goin' down in the city..."

Short landing @ MDW:

I'd hate to live in the neighborhood right in front of the runway. Many years ago we went to Pittsburgh to attend my cousin's wedding. We reserved a room close to the wedding venue, drove into town, and shortly after checking in, we realized how close we were to the airport. Didn't sleep well that night.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'd hate to live in the neighborhood right in front of the runway.

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

Flew into Midway once. Was at night an saw a mostly dark square space in a sea of lights. Thought "We're landing in that?"

It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:37 AM, Wacka said:

Or  Denver. Of the few times 

i flew through there.none were smooth with the turbulence from the Rockies.

18 years ago... A 6 year old boy got killed when plane went through wall and hit the vehicle he was riding it as it was stopped @ a traffic light.  SWA Flight 1248.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1248

"...The 737 skidded during landing and, according to witnesses, the nosegear collapsed. The plane came to rest on Central Avenue just south of the 55th Street intersection at the northwestern corner of the airport. The intersection was full of traffic, and the airplane hit at least three cars, killing six-year-old Joshua Woods, critically injuring five occupants of one car (two adults and three children) and seriously injuring four occupants of a second car. All were quickly taken to area hospitals. Three passengers from the aircraft were taken to hospitals with minor injuries. A total of 12 people were taken to hospitals after the incident. One other car that was hit was parked and unoccupied. ..."

Whenever I am driving around airport. I always try and occupy the farthest lane from wall when standing at a light...😕

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

Flew into Midway once. Was at night an saw a mostly dark square space in a sea of lights. Thought "We're landing in that?"

People may not know, but in the late 50s they had an accident at the Buffalo Airport.  The Blue Angels were doing an air  show there.One of the jets  landed and couldn't stop, It went right through the intersection of Dick Road and Genesee St. coming to a stop right next to the  gas pumps at a gas station that was located  there.  It was where the Kensington Expressway (Rte 33) now goes under the intersection. No one was hurt. They took out all those homes on the approach  years later when jets started  being used regularly in the 60s.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember dad taking us to watch the planes land the 60s. he'd park either  in a lot across Geneese St. from the airport or along Youngs Road in Amherst.  Was a LOT less built up then.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

And growing up in South Cheektowaga, I saw the  Pregnant Guppy and a VTOL plane take off from my yard. The VTOL plane was owned by Bell Aircraft. Iin the 80s, I saw the Concorde come on for a landing. It was coming from Chicago, stopped in Buffalo to load a few passengers and then went to JFK. Quietest jet I ever heard except for the old U2 that NASA used at the Ames Research Center  in Santa Clara, CA.

That plane @ LHR had plenty of room!

The differences between MDW, ORD, &

LHR are shocking.  Midway is a postage stamp. I might wanna think about continuing to fly outta here after seeing this! 😆 

Heathrow: They can flutter all they want

heathrow-airport-b-small.jpg

O'Hare:

1374855812000-XXX-Chicago-O-hare-1307261

Now the postage stamp, Midway, holy dear Lord! 😆 

0_IMG_1649.jpg

No room for error. 10,000 people would get wiped out! No wonders they almost shut it down before rehabbing it.  It really does belong elsewhere!!!

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That plane @ LHR had plenty of room!

The differences between MDW, ORD, &

LHR are shocking.  Midway is a postage stamp. I might wanna think about continuing to fly outta here after seeing this! 😆 

Heathrow: They can flutter all they want

heathrow-airport-b-small.jpg

O'Hare:

1374855812000-XXX-Chicago-O-hare-1307261

Now the postage stamp, Midway, holy dear Lord! 😆 

0_IMG_1649.jpg

No room for error. 10,000 people would get wiped out! No wonders they almost shut it down before rehabbing it.  It really does belong elsewhere!!!

You can't "flutter all they want."

Once the spoilers are deployed, which they are in that video, and the thrust levers are moved to idle, which they undoubtedly were, you can't get airborne again. They had one bounce, which is all you get. If it got airborne again they would have slammed down, as there would not have been enough airspeed to control it.

Kind of a famous landing there in the 90's when a 767 landed really hard there in very bad winds. 

Nobody in the cockpit said anything as they cleared the runway, but the cockpit phone rang, and when the extra guy picked it up a flight attendant mid cabin told them she could "see outside through the roof." 

Regarding Midway and the Southwest 737 overrun, there are so many components to that.

The accident itself was the result of landing there in a tailwind, but it goes so much further than that and gets into Chicago and FAA politics and the life of the 737. 

The FAA was intent on forcing all jet operators to go to ORD. The City of Chicago was not willing to part with the tax and associated other revenue derived from there, wo they worked out a deal for Southwest to operate there, The exact same thing happened in Dallas with Dallas Love vs. DFW.

That's why Southwest is there also, and nobody else is, and it's a huge financial advantage.

The 737 is notorious for overruns, even though it's a relatively small narrow body.

They have continuously updated and enlarged it, but it still has those tiny landing gear on all variants, and they simply don't have the capacity that other airplanes do to handle that kinetic energy. Simple physics.

It is slow in cruise, but has a relatively fast final approach speed because of it's expanded size and small wing. making it more difficult to stop. Faster approach speed than other similarly smaller airplanes, but not fast at altitude. 

Until the last two years, you could always count on at least two 737 overruns per year, somewhere.

Burbank, Kingston Jamaica, Sao Paulo Brazil are other examples just off the top of my head.

That gets us to the FAA, and leads to the 737 Max crashes.

The FAA requires "type" ratings to fly individual aircraft. When a single type undergoes many variations, there is pressure to require a different type rating if the differences are significant.

Southwest enjoys a tremendous training cost advantage because between them and Boeing, they have convinced the FAA to never require a different type rating for the 737 variants, which is the only airplane Southwest operates. Other airlines operate many different types of aircraft, and as pilots switch, the training costs are very significant.

This has been going on for years, and nearly got exposed with the 737 Max crashes, pointing out a significant change that was not required to be specifically trained on, but never was fully exposed.

Sorry for length, but there is a lot of layers to that Southwest Midway overrun.

Regarding MDW, there are many more difficult places to land, even in the US. It's just that the 737 is not an ideal airplane for that concrete.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.