Jack Smith: Criminal Laughingstock

BillsFanNC

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So here's what's really happening:

- Trial Court Judge Chutkan ruled "no immunity from criminal acts committed while serving as President"

- TRUMP's team (TRUMP's team) filed an interlocutory appeal to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, asking them to rule on that issue before he goes to trial.

- Jack Smith filed a petition straight to the Supreme Court, saying "let's settle this once and for all before the highest court in the land before going to trial." The Supreme Court said: Sorry. Not this time.

- The DC Circuit has accepted the interlocutory appeal and set a briefing schedule. A pretty fast one. They'll decide the issue quickly. Point of interest: it's a panel of 3 judges. One appointed by Bush 41, two by Biden. Pretty much nobody thinks that any panel, regardless of who appointed them, would rule that he has general immunity forevermore. The best you could get is "immune from acts that primarily/significantly/something like that stem from his official Presidential duties." So it'll go back to Judge Chutkan to hold the trial.

- What happens then? Well, the tables are turned! It'll be TRUMP asking the Supreme Court to intervene by (you guessed it) filing an emergency petition for an exceptional interlocutory appeal ("a writ of certiorari during the pendency of a proceeding.")

Any defendant prefers delay if he's not in custody. Always and everywhere. And that's doubly true for a guy who could escape answering charges for 5 years if he's elected again.

Interesting.  Why do you think the Supreme Court said “not this time”?  clearly Smith thought he had an angle, and you’ve commented as such.  

Why did the SC think it was an unreasonable move? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interesting.  Why do you think the Supreme Court said “not this time”?  clearly Smith thought he had an angle, and you’ve commented as such.  

First, Merry Christmas!

To answer your question, let's think about what happens now:

- The Appeals Court (likely) denies Trump's immunity claim, he appeals that to the Supreme Court.

- The Supreme Court has to decide all over again whether to jump in now (rather than earlier) and is seen as a political body seeking to rescue Trump

- Or they decline to hear the case now (applying the usual "wait for the judgment on all issues," particularly since Trump could be acquitted at trial) and we may get a guilty verdict that is subject to being overturned AFTER the election.

All of those are worse scenarios than deciding it right away. There's no strict rule on when the Supreme Court takes jurisdiction. Right now, it's about trying to resolve issues fairly and as early as possible. 

That's my take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

First, Merry Christmas!

To answer your question, let's think about what happens now:

- The Appeals Court (likely) denies Trump's immunity claim, he appeals that to the Supreme Court.

- The Supreme Court has to decide all over again whether to jump in now (rather than earlier) and is seen as a political body seeking to rescue Trump

- Or they decline to hear the case now (applying the usual "wait for the judgment on all issues," particularly since Trump could be acquitted at trial) and we may get a guilty verdict that is subject to being overturned AFTER the election.

All of those are worse scenarios than deciding it right away. There's no strict rule on when the Supreme Court takes jurisdiction. Right now, it's about trying to resolve issues fairly and as early as possible. 

That's my take.

Thanks Frankish, I appreciate the reply.  I hope you and your family have an awesome and Merry Christmas as well!  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

22 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So here's what's really happening:

- Trial Court Judge Chutkan ruled "no immunity from criminal acts committed while serving as President"

- TRUMP's team (TRUMP's team) filed an interlocutory appeal to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, asking them to rule on that issue before he goes to trial.

- Jack Smith filed a petition straight to the Supreme Court, saying "let's settle this once and for all before the highest court in the land before going to trial." The Supreme Court said: Sorry. Not this time.

- The DC Circuit has accepted the interlocutory appeal and set a briefing schedule. A pretty fast one. They'll decide the issue quickly. Point of interest: it's a panel of 3 judges. One appointed by Bush 41, two by Biden. Pretty much nobody thinks that any panel, regardless of who appointed them, would rule that he has general immunity forevermore. The best you could get is "immune from acts that primarily/significantly/something like that stem from his official Presidential duties." So it'll go back to Judge Chutkan to hold the trial.

- What happens then? Well, the tables are turned! It'll be TRUMP asking the Supreme Court to intervene by (you guessed it) filing an emergency petition for an exceptional interlocutory appeal ("a writ of certiorari during the pendency of a proceeding.")

Any defendant prefers delay if he's not in custody. Always and everywhere. And that's doubly true for a guy who could escape answering charges for 5 years if he's elected again.

in essence, he's scum

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

Its hard to decide if they are truly that ignorant (dont leave the house) and actually believe it.

or are purely trolls just trying to get a reply.

you readily reply but almost never give answers.  not difficult to "troll" U...

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

you readily reply but almost never give answers.  not difficult to "troll" U...

Gotta get that reply in.  

And your saying you are a troll that makes racist comments for replies?  

It's good to know your not an actual racist.  Just a drunk troll. 

Lol

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/24/2023 at 2:01 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I took the Supreme Court decision as more not at this time, rather than not this time

They wanted more time to rule it pretty fair the Supreme Court asked me

But thinking in someway that this is going to delay or derail jacks is laughable

I’m telling you right now some of you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment if you actually like Trump because federal prosecutors very seldom lose and he has a lot of at bats

4 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Gotta get that reply in.  

And your saying you are a troll that makes racist comments for replies?  

It's good to know your not an actual racist.  Just a drunk troll. 

Lol

Come from someone who has literally worn out the eye roll emoticon and changed your screen name to do it

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I took the Supreme Court decision as more not at this time, rather than not this time

They wanted more time to rule it pretty fair the Supreme Court asked me

But thinking in someway that this is going to delay or derail jacks is laughable

I’m telling you right now some of you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment if you actually like Trump because federal prosecutors very seldom lose and he has a lot of at bats

You don't have to tell me anything, John, it will play out however it plays out.  I'm not anti-Smith, I'm just a citizen watching this incredible thing play out.  I agree with you on federal prosecutors, but that goes back to my original point about selective leaks, the rush to judgement and a setback on something like this.   

Virtually every card that can be played in held by the government with no real downside to whether or not Smith wins or loses.  As a result, when he "loses"on an issue like that, I think it's reasonable for people to question his motives.   

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 9:08 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

TRUMP is the laughingstock... of the WORLD no less. FOUR different court venues for four different cases from varying degrees of criminality.

No, America is the laughing stock because of dumb$%$# liberalism.

• 1 month later...

Jack Smith, in Startling Move, Denounces Judge in Documents Case as ‘Wrong’

It turns out President Trump isn’t the only one who can unleash a tirade against a judge.

Could Smith’s next move be a motion for Cannon to recuse herself?

GettyImages-1570178631.jpg&w=640&q=75

https://www.nysun.com/article/jack-smith-in-startling-move-denounces-judge-in-documents-case-as-wrong-and-a-perpetrator-of-manifest-injustice?

56 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Jack Smith, in Startling Move, Denounces Judge in Documents Case as ‘Wrong’

It turns out President Trump isn’t the only one who can unleash a tirade against a judge.

Could Smith’s next move be a motion for Cannon to recuse herself?

GettyImages-1570178631.jpg&w=640&q=75

https://www.nysun.com/article/jack-smith-in-startling-move-denounces-judge-in-documents-case-as-wrong-and-a-perpetrator-of-manifest-injustice?

Jackie boy sees his case dying before his eyes...