Jobs

Federal government payrolls continue to increase and make up a large component of the monthly job gains.  Most private companies have become more efficient over time through computing, software and automation but not the federal government. 

Federal employees over time

Screenshot2024-03-15081523.thumb.jpg.8c40ebf44db7dbc4dc3635f6ff898a6e.jpg

Edited by Precision
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Precision said:

Federal government payrolls continue to increase and maek up a large component of the monthly job gains.  Most private companies have become more efficient over time through computing, software and automation but not the federal government. 

Federal employees over time

Screenshot2024-03-15081523.thumb.jpg.8c40ebf44db7dbc4dc3635f6ff898a6e.jpg

Efficiency is not a goal of government.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Boom.

And with inflation over target, will they raise rates?

And the divergence between the official numbers and the household report?  

Never mind.  Jobs 

On 3/12/2024 at 1:53 PM, Tommy Callahan said:

It will be revised.

It was revised UP.

12 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Boom.

And with inflation over target, will they raise rates?

And the divergence between the official numbers and the household report?  

Never mind.  Jobs 

Has there ever been a more "glass half empty" pessimist?

Jobs report bad? Biden's economy sucks. Not adding enough jobs.

Jobs report good? Biden's economy suck, more inflation.

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It was revised UP.

Has there ever been a more "glass half empty" pessimist?

Jobs report bad? Biden's economy sucks. Not adding enough jobs.

Jobs report good? Biden's economy suck, more inflation.

They cannot, under any circumstances, say that anything is ever good if a Dem is president. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I get it.  Simple minds need a binary solution.

You all jumping up and down about all this?  Including black unemployment being so high? 

So you tell me: is there anything GOOD about the economy today?

Because if there is I haven't ever heard it from you.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I see that the usual crowd has gotten their talking points ready 

A lot of it is government jobs, 71K.  And health care jobs are most likely funded by Medicare and Medicaid.  Which is more government spending.  Even for private insurers like UnitedHealth or WellPoint government programs like Medicare Advantage and Medicaid comprise the majority of their insurance business. 

Meanwhile, this administration is on track to run a 2024 fiscal deficit of around $4 trillion.  Unless the prevailing wisdom no longer applies, the general rule is government deficits shrink or turn into surpluses in good economic times because tax receipts boom and social assistance and other support programs become less necessary.  But all that's going in the other direction.  I can't explain why that's happening in what many say are "good times" for the peasants.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I see that the usual crowd has gotten their talking points ready 

They've found a useful talking point! Government jobs.

But if they weren't so insular, they'd have found a better talking point: IMMIGRATION! Hiding in plain sight in the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05/business/jobs-report-march-economy#immigration-is-helping-to-meet-hiring-demand-and-may-explain-data-mysteries

Look for them to catch on a bit late.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They've found a useful talking point! Government jobs.

But if they weren't so insular, they'd have found a better talking point: IMMIGRATION! Hiding in plain sight in the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05/business/jobs-report-march-economy#immigration-is-helping-to-meet-hiring-demand-and-may-explain-data-mysteries

Look for them to catch on a bit late.

Both are true

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

A lot of it is government jobs, 71K.  And health care jobs are most likely funded by Medicare and Medicaid.  Which is more government spending.  Even for private insurers like UnitedHealth or WellPoint government programs like Medicare Advantage and Medicaid comprise the majority of their insurance business. 

Meanwhile, this administration is on track to run a 2024 fiscal deficit of around $4 trillion.  Unless the prevailing wisdom no longer applies, the general rule is government deficits shrink or turn into surpluses in good economic times because tax receipts boom and social assistance and other support programs become less necessary.  But all that's going in the other direction.  I can't explain why that's happening in what many say are "good times" for the peasants.  

They attack anything outside of blind loyalty to the talking point/headline. While proving they cannot even grasp or comprehend the details of the report or how it's impacting the actual economy. 

Edited by Tommy Callahan

1 minute ago, Tommy Callahan said:

They attack anything outside of blind loyalty to the talking point/headline they cannot even grasp or comprehend the details of the report or how it's impacting the actual economy. 

So ... anything GOOD happening out there in the economy? Anything??

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

If your in the top 5% of the top quintile.

Since your jumping up and down, why don't you post to the positives for the normies..  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

If your in the top 5% of the top quintile.

Isn't that the same as saying "the top 5%"?

I believe the economy is strong, and that it is important to measure the U.S. economy against all other developed economies. When you do that, it appears even stronger.

But I'm not so blinkered that I don't see problems. I just agreed with you a few days ago that we have a real problem with bloated CEO pay compared to worker pay, and that we need some corporate reforms to address this. I also think the rise of part-time jobs vs. full-time (with full benefits) is troubling, and I'll admit that Obamacare rules drive some (a lot?) of that.

My question: I don't see you willing to admit economic progress in ANY way. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

For real?  Willful or really don't understand?

A quintile is a statistical value of a data set that represents 20% of a given population, so the first quintile represents the lowest fifth of the data (1% to 20%); the second quintile represents the second fifth (21% to 40%) and so on.

CEO's work for the shareholders silly.

it's not 1980 anymore. they are not private corps in the fortune 500, most are public.  

With the largest investors being the usual Vanguard/Blackrock investment groups, that are also the holders of our 401K and pensions.  

It's kind of all tied together and has nothing to do with our GDP vs GDP in other countries.

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I believe the economy is strong, and that it is important to measure the U.S. economy against all other developed economies. When you do that, it appears even stronger.

But I'm not so blinkered that I don't see problems. I just agreed with you a few days ago that we have a real problem with bloated CEO pay compared to worker pay, and that we need some corporate reforms to address this. I also think the rise of part-time jobs vs. full-time (with full benefits) is troubling, and I'll admit that Obamacare rules drive some (a lot?) of that.

My question: I don't see you willing to admit economic progress in ANY way. 

I agree that CEO pay is way too high.  Because, more or less, they get to decide how much they pay themselves.  The corporate business structure is something the professional executive management class has been exploiting for a long time.   

But I disagree the economy is strong.  I think its built on a house of cards.  This economy is like a patient on life support.  All their vital signs are in good shape but unplug them from the machines and well...  you know.  In the case of the economy that life support is trillions in debt being accumulated.  Take away all that debt funding lots of unproductive activities and off the cliff we go.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I agree that CEO pay is way too high.  Because, more or less, they get to decide how much they pay themselves. 

IF the CEO doesn't execute to get the metrics the board members demand, they will replace him vs authorizing the CEO Bonus/Pay package.

And why they are paid so much to squeeze every bit of productivity and "PROFITS" from the company.

And old economics teacher used to say that a public Corportation without sales growth will become cannibalistic.  Eating itself before allowing the investors to falter.

Edited by Tommy Callahan

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I agree that CEO pay is way too high.  Because, more or less, they get to decide how much they pay themselves.  The corporate business structure is something the professional executive management class has been exploiting for a long time.   

But I disagree the economy is strong.  I think its built on a house of cards.  This economy is like a patient on life support.  All their vital signs are in good shape but unplug them from the machines and well...  you know.  In the case of the economy that life support is trillions in debt being accumulated.   

Second point first: I still expect a recession. But whatever it is the Fed has been doing, so far they're engineering the soft landing. But sometimes what looks like a soft landing turns into a rough one.

On the first point: I think the Delaware case regarding Elon Musk's compensation is interesting. I tend to support Musk in this one. There's some procedural issues in the independence of the Board that are important overall. But in that specific case: Musk is 100% identified with Tesla. He is the one unique person in the world that gives that company value. It is a special case.

But in general: who's the CEO of Visa? They're the 15th biggest corp by market cap. 

I had to look that up. A guy named Ryan McInerney. Who? Visa has been printing money for years now thanks to an increasingly cash-less economy and huge exchange fees. Has he done anything spectacular that someone else couldn't do for half the price? He made $26 million last year and the stock granted to him is now worth about $60 million. Is there any outside check on whether this compensation is warranted? No. There's a rubber-stamp Board approving whatever he thinks is "fair" or of critical importance to Visa's continued profitability.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Second point first: I still expect a recession. But whatever it is the Fed has been doing, so far they're engineering the soft landing. But sometimes what looks like a soft landing turns into a rough one.

On the first point: I think the Delaware case regarding Elon Musk's compensation is interesting. I tend to support Musk in this one. There's some procedural issues in the independence of the Board that are important overall. But in that specific case: Musk is 100% identified with Tesla. He is the one unique person in the world that gives that company value. It is a special case.

But in general: who's the CEO of Visa? They're the 15th biggest corp by market cap. 

I had to look that up. A guy named Ryan McInerney. Who? Visa has been printing money for years now thanks to an increasingly cash-less economy and huge exchange fees. Has he done anything spectacular that someone else couldn't do for half the price? He made $26 million last year and the stock granted to him is now worth about $60 million. Is there any outside check on whether this compensation is warranted? No. There's a rubber-stamp Board approving whatever he thinks is "fair" or of critical importance to Visa's continued profitability.

So many talking points.  so much cut and paste.

A link to the source?

The bigger the bubble, the bigger the pop.

yesterday's formula for figuring a recession of two quarters of depressed GDP is out the window when DEBT can drive GDP up.

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

So many talking points.  so much cut and paste.

A link to the source?

The bigger the bubble, the bigger the pop.

yesterday's formula for figuring a recession of two quarters of depressed GDP is out the window when DEBT can drive GDP up.

No "talking points." No "source" because (shock!) these are my own thoughts. I actually have those, you know. I like, watch what's going on, I look at the numbers and the history, and I draw my own conclusions. That's why I'm not a Twitter feed consuming cut-and-paste monkey. Try it, it's liberating!

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

No "talking points." No "source" because (shock!) these are my own thoughts. I actually have those, you know. I like, watch what's going on, I look at the numbers and the history, and I draw my own conclusions. That's why I'm not a Twitter feed consuming cut-and-paste monkey. Try it, it's liberating!

you don't even know what a quintile is.

You got to understand the topic to form your own opinion.

And its obviously a quinky dink that yours always matches the MSM.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Only when Trump does it - ya know, “blind loyalty”

These idiots never think clearly when they’re whining all the time.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

you don't even know what a quintile is.

You got to understand the topic to form your own opinion.

And its obviously a quinky dink that yours always matches the MSM.  

I was trying to be nice. "Top 5% of the top 20%" is, well, meaningless. Do you mean the top 1%? If so, you could have just said that. Reduce the fraction or reduce you commentary.

• Eyeroll 1

Finding Qanon gets informed....out of thin air!

Its own thoughts and opinions on the issues of the day arrive inside its brain case by what...osmosis?

:lol:

What a friggin moron.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

Finding Qanon gets informed....out of thin air!

Its own thoughts and opinions on the issues of the day arrive inside its brain case by what...osmosis?

:lol:

What a friggin moron.

Jesse Kelly says your guy is complicit in COMMUNISM. You have bigger fish to fry now that he's been exposed.

And now that previous month job figures have been revised UPWARD, killing your stupid response (that stats are rigged!) you should probably resort to posting a meme of Trump rising, in full makeup, on the Third Day.

Coming in 3, 2, 1, ....

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

⬆️

Consumes legacy media to "watch what's going on"

And somehow thinks that makes him unbiased!

Useful friggin idiocy.

How much better to consume the feed, like a foie gras goose, of Julie Kelly, the stay-at-home spouse of an Archer Daniels Midland lobbyist.