Jets at Bills 1989

Buffalo03

I was debating whether or not I should even continue this for the season considering how the season has gone to this point. But a lot of people seem to like it and I will admit, I like to keep these videos coming each week so I will continue on with it. The upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, I am going Jets at Bills from 1989. I have to say, I was only 3 years old when this game was played so I don't have any recollection of it. This was during the bickering Bills phase but there shouldn't have been any bickering about this game as we stomped the Jets 34-3. Frank Reich played for an injured Jim Kelly. He only had 145 yards passing but had 3 TD passes. Thurman only had 49 yards on 20 carries but the Jets were completely shut down in this one as it was never close. Any old timers that were at this game or remember it, feel free to post anything you remember and as always....Go Bills. Let's hope a change in OC sparks something tomorrow

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This might turn into an Old Man Yells at Cloud rant, but damn do I miss how games used to be managed and broadcast. And it revolved primarily around just two things:

1) There were fewer flags on the field and when there was one, the head official announced it while they walked it off and on to the next play we went.

Now every time we see a flag we have to first have a 5 person group therapy session among officials, maybe some discussion with one of the coaches justifying why the call was made, notification for the home crowd and then after a minute or two another announcement for the viewing audience and then maybe a couple extra commercials while they communicate with the home office regarding the minutiae of whether a guy caught the ball. Referees used to generally try to stay invisible but now the league and networks have decided that they can use them to create some pointless, stupid drama to attract casual fans while most of us who just want to watch some ball have to sit through a ridiculous overdrawn process to manufacture drama that has nothing to do with the actual game.

2) They used to show replays after almost every snap and would often show a couple from two different cameras so you could see what had happened on the play. What do we get now? We get an inevitable closeup of some guys face walking back to the huddle, or a shot of a coach on the sideline talking into his headset, or maybe if we're really lucky a promo for some vapid, idiotic television show that will be off the air in a year just so they have an excuse to advertise their own network that I'm already watching. I want to see a replay to confirm who pulled and made that sweet block at the second level, or to check out where the Free was at the snap and whether he was late because of the design or because he's slow. Instead, I get to stare up Joe Burrow's nostrils for 15 seconds while some stiff in the booth tries to convince me what an interesting guy he is and get me engaged on a personal, emotional level when I really don't give a shlt what time he goes to bed.

It all comes back to the fake manufactured drama that the networks are trying to sell that has nothing with the game, and because they're so focused on that nonsense they're missing a ton of actual drama that takes place on the field. We turned the TV on to watch guys play football, not to watch referee performance art and Jersey f'ing Shore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Little off topic, but interesting anyways - there's a nfl channel on pluto that was showing the jets/bills game from the opener in 2001 (Bledsoes first game I believe) on September 11th of this year, same day as our opener vs the jets. I didn't remember the game at the time, but this is the game that went to overtime and the jets returned the kick to win in overtime. Then, that night I watch the bills lose to the jets in overtime to a punt return for a td. What a terrible day. Just wanted to get that off my chest 😅

43 minutes ago, Simon said:

This might turn into an Old Man Yells at Cloud rant, but damn do I miss how games used to be managed and broadcast. And it revolved primarily around just two things:

1) There were fewer flags on the field and when there was one, the head official announced it while they walked it off and on to the next play we went.

Now every time we see a flag we have to first have a 5 person group therapy session among officials, maybe some discussion with one of the coaches justifying why the call was made, notification for the home crowd and then after a minute or two another announcement for the viewing audience and then maybe a couple extra commercials while they communicate with the home office regarding the minutiae of whether a guy caught the ball. Referees used to generally try to stay invisible but now the league and networks have decided that they can use them to create some pointless, stupid drama to attract casual fans while most of us who just want to watch some ball have to sit through a ridiculous overdrawn process to manufacture drama that has nothing to do with the actual game.

2) They used to show replays after almost every snap and would often show a couple from two different cameras so you could see what had happened on the play. What do we get now? We get an inevitable closeup of some guys face walking back to the huddle, or a shot of a coach on the sideline talking into his headset, or maybe if we're really lucky a promo for some vapid, idiotic television show that will be off the air in a year just so they have an excuse to advertise their own network that I'm already watching. I want to see a replay to confirm who pulled and made that sweet block at the second level, or to check out where the Free was at the snap and whether he was late because of the design or because he's slow. Instead, I get to stare up Joe Burrow's nostrils for 15 seconds while some stiff in the booth tries to convince me what an interesting guy he is and get me engaged on a personal, emotional level when I really don't give a shlt what time he goes to bed.

It all comes back to the fake manufactured drama that the networks are trying to sell that has nothing with the game, and because they're so focused on that nonsense they're missing a ton of actual drama that takes place on the field. I turned the TV on to watch guys play football, not to watch referee performance art and Jersey f'ing Shore.

PREACH!!

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Little off topic, but interesting anyways - there's a nfl channel on pluto that was showing the jets/bills game from the opener in 2001 (Bledsoes first game I believe) on September 11th of this year, same day as our opener vs the jets. I didn't remember the game at the time, but this is the game that went to overtime and the jets returned the kick to win in overtime. Then, that night I watch the bills lose to the jets in overtime to a punt return for a td. What a terrible day. Just wanted to get that off my chest 😅

Yeah, i think it was Morton?  It was actuallly his second of the game too.  

Bledsoe had like a 4th and 20 from the 30 yeard line in the final seconds and tossed a touchdown to send it to OT.  I was supposed to go to that one with my dad and his friends but got food poisoning the day before. GREAT weekend.  Heartbreak and vomit.

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Bledsoe came here in 2002.  Your recollection was right except for the season. 

• Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I was debating whether or not I should even continue this for the season considering how the season has gone to this point. But a lot of people seem to like it and I will admit, I like to keep these videos coming each week so I will continue on with it. The upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, I am going Jets at Bills from 1989. I have to say, I was only 3 years old when this game was played so I don't have any recollection of it. This was during the bickering Bills phase but there shouldn't have been any bickering about this game as we stomped the Jets 34-3. Frank Reich played for an injured Jim Kelly. He only had 145 yards passing but had 3 TD passes. Thurman only had 49 yards on 20 carries but the Jets were completely shut down in this one as it was never close. Any old timers that were at this game or remember it, feel free to post anything you remember and as always....Go Bills. Let's hope a change in OC sparks something tomorrow

pretty sure Brady won't be having time to be making any big changes until over the bye week.  

The week before this game was Reich’s first start v the Rams on Monday night. Reich did nothing for three and a half quarters v the Rams and Bills fans expected that a new backup would have to be signed the next day. Then, out of nowhere, Reich suddenly when crazy late in the fourth v and won the game with two long drives. The Rams game a few days before this Jets game was one of the most shocking wins in team history. 

Edited by Charles Romes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.