The decline of Howard Simon

Adam

To the guy who likes Brad and his non-sports topics, you've kind of made my point for me. He isnt bright or entertaining enough to make sportstalk interesting for three hours so he has to deviate from it.

Another poster made the best point and its worth repeating: until management at WGR is totally turned over or the business of radio changes drastically or another sportstalk station starts up, then the pathetic state of sportstalk in the city will remain. Howard is just the latest example.

He isnt bright or entertaining enough to make sportstalk interesting for three hours so he has to deviate from it.

The entire staff seems to have tunnel vision - very narrow subjects within sports.

I was in town from Chicago Thursday through Saturday. Strange subject selection seemed to me.

The NBA finals are just under way and they close dosn discussion saying they are taking no calls on it. Alright, I haven't totally gotten over the Braves leaving either, but that seems weird to say to the audience. Maybe nobody was interested - but that is a topic itself.

The NHL lockout is about to be ended - that should be news - they finally contacted Darcy Riger (sp?) and had a good interview. But they avoided the obvious question for conversation - Is the audience excited /intrested in coming back? Will anyone buy tix?

Then there was the freakin "baby Joe" Mesi marathon. The idea that boxing talk is more interesting than basketball talk is weak. Then it wasn't even about boxing. NOBODY outside of the hearing board in Nevada and an extremely small proportion of the Buff audience knows or cares who this guy is. I wish I still hadn't heard of him.

Does the station know there's a football team in town? I had the radio on for hours cleaning out my mom's old house and nadda football word.

I'm loathe to say this because I was one that jumped up and down with excitement when Howard came over to WGR, but I have found that I listen to him less and less each morning as well. All the things I loved, the interviews, the broad sports topics, even some of the regualr callers all seem to be gone. When is the last time anyone other than Sullivan or Hamilton was talked to on the air???

This morning the only conversation was whether or not poker is a sport. I turned on 3 seperate times and the same conversation was going on and I left it on for less than a couple of minutes each time.

Jeremy, who I used to really enjoy when he was on with Brad, now truly annoys me. I think its his arrogant, know-it-all-ness that seems to have become so pronounced since he moved to the morning. He completely overpowers Howard.

I used to listen to NPR when the other 3 were on in the morning and excpet for a few minutes each morning lately I am completely drifting back in that direction.

For Buffalo sports radio its very sad.

Then there was the freakin "baby Joe" Mesi marathon.  The idea that boxing talk is more interesting than basketball talk is weak.  Then it wasn't even about boxing.  NOBODY outside of the hearing board in Nevada and an extremely small proportion of the Buff audience knows or cares who this guy is.  I wish I still hadn't heard of him.

356964[/snapback]

Uhm, you must not know much about buffalo. Baby joe was huge around here, everybody had/has an opinion on the guy and his career.

I used to listen to NPR when the other 3 were on in the morning and excpet for a few minutes each morning lately I am completely drifting back in that direction.

For Buffalo sports radio its very sad.

356995[/snapback]

I used to listen to the other 3 and now spend a lot of listening to NPR.

Too bad they don't do sports huh? ;)

I'm loathe to say this because I was one that jumped up and down with excitement when Howard came over to WGR, but I have found that I listen to him less and less each morning as well. All the things I loved, the interviews, the broad sports topics, even some of the regualr callers all seem to be gone. When is the last time anyone other than Sullivan or Hamilton was talked to on the air???

356995[/snapback]

Corporate Radio at its finest.

Interviews: thanks to previous incidents involving GR, a major attitude adjustment will have to take place at One Bills Drive before Simon - or any other WGR host - can get the same level of on-air access to Bills players and staff he enjoyed at Empire/WNSA.

For anyone who wishes to keep bringing up Ruben Brown's and Coy Wire's shows on WGR to disprove this, I'd be mightily surprised to find out either player did said show free of charge. Anyone remember a Bills loss a few years back, when a frustrated Brown refused all postgame interview requests with the exception of Channel 2, because "they pay me"?

Nope, what I'm talking about is getting someone like Donahoe live on the air - ever since the day the Losman/Vincent thing went down last August, that seems to be next to impossible for WGR to accomplish. I wonder....

Production: I realize McManus wanted out of the biz (and can't say I blame him), but isn't Steve Cichon working for the Entercommies? Hmmmm.

Production: I realize McManus wanted out of the biz (and can't say I blame him), but isn't Steve Cichon working for the Entercommies? Hmmmm.

357247[/snapback]

Boy, it's be great to have a REAL producer on local sports talk radio again. I doubt Entercom would go for it though...it makes too much sense.

For anyone who wishes to keep bringing up Ruben Brown's and Coy Wire's shows on WGR to disprove this, I'd be mightily surprised to find out either player did said show free of charge.

357247[/snapback]

You must be referring to me. Hey that's great! Recognition incognito :doh:

Anyway, I would challenge you to show me any unpaid athlete doing a talk show on any radio or tv station regardless of whether they are friendly to the team or not.

The last couple of days, the promos for Brad Riters show consist of a soundbite of him babbling about Jacko. What is the message being sent to potential listeners of his show. <_<:doh: It's the only game in town now, but at this point I'd rather have 24x7 coverage of espn radio. You out-of-towners who are yearning for WGR to stream aren't missing anything. Take my word for it.

PS Who remembers Schoops creed when he was at WNSA..."Sports talk for smart people!" How times change. :P

The last couple of days, the promos for Brad Riters show consist of a soundbite of him babbling about Jacko. What is the message being sent to potential listeners of his show. <_<  :doh:  It's the only game in town now, but at this point I'd rather have 24x7 coverage of espn radio.  You out-of-towners who are yearning for WGR to stream aren't missing anything.  Take my word for it.

PS Who remembers Schoops creed when he was at WNSA..."Sports talk for smart people!"  How times change. :P

359113[/snapback]

I'll only start complaining about wgr not streaming when rick jenerrette and jim lorentz are on, if you know what i mean. CALL A COP, HE ROBBED HIM BLIND!

I just exchanged emails with Andy Roth who is the program director at WGR, to bring this thread to his attention. He was already aware of it and encourages anyone to email him regarding the programming at the station....

aroth@entercom.com

I just exchanged emails with Andy Roth who is the program director at WGR, to bring this thread to his attention. He was already aware of it and encourages anyone to email him regarding the programming at the station....

aroth@entercom.com

You got somebody from Entercom to e-mail you back?!?! After working with them for many years I can not get a phone call returned or e-mail returned. How times have changed, how times, have changed........

For me,it has always been about football,and that was one of the reasons I sort of fell in love with the previous 3 guys who were on before Simon and Whitey,the insight was good or at least the college insight was good from Bob Gaung<sp?> and Kevin always had something interesting to add and Puff was commical relief,I was personally crushed when I heard they lost there job,but at the same time familar with Simon and his ability and interested in what he would bring to the table..The same could be said for Whitey who I thought had a flair for the football and particulrly the draft,but the coverage leading up to the draft by WGR in the morning was terrible..

With all that said,I'm left craving football talk by the time 10am rolls around because I didn't get it from 7:30 to 9:56.. I just think so much more could have been done here in the offseason given the fact that Hockey was on the shelf.. Maybe not football everyday but intertwine it in the show better,there is still a pro football team in Buffalo I believe..

I guess at the very least,I'd like to hear these guys talk about what's going on with the other teams in the NFL or just the teams in the AFC East,what is Saban up to in Miami or how is New England getting along in their mini camps,what about the Jets,there must be news out there and other affiliates they can bring on the show to give us some insight,Entercom is pretty big..Lets not forget how willing the Bills have been to parade JP around town like their new trophy,are you telling me they can't get him on for an interview with Simon...?

:angry: It's just frustration at this point.. I might not beable to call in during work but I am listening,and I'd personally like to hear anything football realted,topic wise.. It's not sad,but the truth is, TSW is the best place to get football news about the Bills because you know someone heard it from somewhere and you can read it here,and reading it is better then not hearing it at all... :unsure:

We come to this board for the most part because we're fanatic Bills fans first and Buffalo sports fans second and sports fans third and internet geeks fourth and losers with no lives fifth. This is a dumb time to evaluate Howard because it's the worst time to talk Bills football, there is no Sabres and most people are down on the NBA. Look at the crappy topics on this board in the last couple months. When the Bills training camp nears or starts you can guarantee it will be almost all Bills all the time and there will be no need for stupid topics. If there still is, that would be a good time to complain. I doubt that will be the case, and Howard will likely succeed or fail on his own ability to hold an audience of Bills fans ranting about the Bills.

We come to this board for the most part because we're fanatic Bills fans first and Buffalo sports fans second and sports fans third and internet geeks fourth and losers with no lives fifth. This is a dumb time to evaluate Howard because it's the worst time to talk Bills football, there is no Sabres and most people are down on the NBA. Look at the crappy topics on this board in the last couple months. When the Bills training camp nears or starts you can guarantee it will be almost all Bills all the time and there will be no need for stupid topics. If there still is, that would be a good time to complain. I doubt that will be the case, and Howard will likely succeed or fail on his own ability to hold an audience of Bills fans ranting about the Bills.

360682[/snapback]

VERY well said. You are exactly right. Is it really fair to criticize Howard for not talking about the Bills for four straight hours everyday? Take a look at this board. It's dominated by music talk, Star Wars, reality TV, personal lives, hangover tips and almost everything BUT Bills football this time of year. You're hardpressed to find an actual Bills thread and the reason for that is, it's June 16th.

I have no doubt that Howard will start talking football once training camp beings and the season gets going. He was hired at WGR last November I believe, so that only left him with half of the season last year. This year, he gets a full season of football on WGR and it looks like the Sabres will be back, so that will certainly help his show topics.

Point is...middle of summer...not an NBA town...smack dab in the middle of baseball...nothing doing out of OBD...nothing definite from the hockey talks.

It's a slow time in sports at the moment, and I see Howard working. It's very difficult to keep talking about the Bills or sports at all on this board at the moment...imagine having to do it for four straight hours Monday thru Friday. If topics like movies or TV or politics or other goofy stuff come up on Howard's show at this time of year, who cares?? He'll be talking about football again once there is something to talk about.

I had my first opportunity to listen to Simon's show since he moved to WGR yesterday. Simon has fallen a long way, but I think that is due more to the policies of WGR than to simon himself. They have to get rid of the side kick. What a moron! The guy pretends to be Jim Rome, why I will never know, and he's not very good at it. He makes arguments that support the other side of the discussion not his.

Granted it is a slow time of year, but the side kick has got to go. No clue whatsoever. Simon gave up trying to carry the guy along time ago it appears.

Buff News mentions Howard ignoring the NBA: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050618/1058267.asp

361822[/snapback]

I agree with the column. Simon has ignored the NBA and other sports even during his Empire / WNSA days. It's OK if he really doesn't like it but he shouldn't brag about it to his listening audience. IF i was paid to be a sports talk host you better believe I'd watch and have a working knowledge of NBA, Golf, Nascar, etc..... If anyone wanted to discuss them, I'd be more than willing.

I agree with the column.  Simon has ignored the NBA and other sports even during his Empire / WNSA days.  It's OK if he really doesn't like it but he shouldn't brag about it to his listening audience.  IF i was paid to be a sports talk host you better believe I'd watch and have a working knowledge of NBA, Golf, Nascar, etc.....  If anyone wanted to discuss them, I'd be more than willing.

361839[/snapback]

While on WNSA/Empire, he said on more than one occasion that he'd talk about the NBA if people wanted to do so...they rarely did. When a caller would phone in to discuss the NBA, follow-up callers quickly changed the subject back to either the Bills or Sabres. He played to his audience, plain and simple, and it served him well.